Using the Hermes as a modem via USB - argh!

Guest freshmaker

Guest freshmaker

OK. I've gone through every thread to do with this, tried every suggestion, but still can't get internet to work on my laptop via a USB connection to the phone.

On the phone, I've got the APN settings set to general.t-mobile.uk on the Wireless Modem APN programme and in the 'Connections' settings as instructed. I've also made sure this is the same APN setting in advanced modem settings for the phone in the Control Panel on the PC (along with the extra innitialization commands AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","general.t-mobile.uk"). I've also made sure active sync is disabled on the PC. But still I get the same Remote Access Error 720 message when I try to dial-up using the USB Modem dialer off of the supplied T-Mobile cd-rom. Because it seems able to establish a connection (with all three ligts flashing for a moment on the Wireless Modem app) but then kicks me off when verifying username and password settings I'm guessing maybe I need the correct username and password inputted for the USB Modem dialer. I've tried all the combinations mentioned including:

username: t-mobile, password: one2one

username: t-mobile, password: wap

username: t-mobile, password: password

username: t-mobile, password: pass

username: t-mobile, password: (blank)

username: user, password: pass

as well as leaving both fields blank. Still it always gives me the same Remote Access Error 720 message. When looking in the connections settings on the phone, the GPRS/3G connection (which works fine) has t-mobile in its username field and the password is starred out (ie. hidden) so I assume I may well need a username and password when connecting via the PC. If only I could see the password I could see if it is different to any of the above. I am loathe to alter it though as I don't want to lose my regular GPRS connection. I am also not keen to call T-Mob tech support as being on a standard W+W tariff I am technically not supposed to be using it as a modem. Could anybody who does have it working over USB confirm what username and password they are using (and also whether t-mobile is in the username field of their connection settings), what their APN settings are for: the Modem dialer on the PC, Wireless Modem on the phone, and in the connection settings?

When I try to connect by setting up a new internet connection through the connection wizard on the PC (with the telephone number set to *99#), I get the same error message as above. Please tell me there's some basic thing I'm doing wrong or some proper combination of username and password that resolves all this as it's driving me up the wall!

One final little note and I don't see it making a difference. When I put the

AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","general.t-mobile.uk" extra innitialization commands into the modem settings on the PC, then save it and run the dial-up (unsuccessfully), as soon as I go back to check these settings there is always an extra two quotation marks added on to the end so that it now reads: AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","general.t-mobile.uk","". I'm guessing this is just a natural adjustment and doesn't effect anything. Maybe someone who has it working could also confirm that the same thing happens to their command line with no adverse effect.

loads and loads of thanks in advance to anyone able to help any on this

Make sure you are typing in at+cgdcont= in lower case

How did you install the modem? Was it with the USBMDM drivers?

Error 720 - No PPP control protocols configured...

Uninstall and reinstall them modem, and start again!

• 1 month later...
Guest soup dragon
OK. I've gone through every thread to do with this, tried every suggestion, but still can't get internet to work on my laptop via a USB connection to the phone.

Hi freshmaker.

did you get this sorted? I have the same problem!!!!!!

Guest Spr1ngy

I got this working yesterday while on the train back from London, I used the following settings:

APN Setting (Phone & Dialer Program): general.t-mobile.uk

Username: t-mobile

Password: one2one

Trust me it works... 284kps pretty much all the way up the West Coast Mainline

This has been a problem for me, but because no matter what I try when I've deactivated Active Sync, turned on Wireless Modem for USB and then plug in my Vario II it never says that it's found new hardware.

I have not been able to install the HTC USB Modem file manually either.

I ended up finding PdaNet software on XDA which has allowed me to connect at 1.4mbps though ! I've a free 7 day trial and will then purchase if nobody comes up with a way of fixing this.

Guest Spr1ngy

All I did to get it working was to:

1. Set the APN in the Wireless Modem Application.

2. Connected my phone to my laptop via the USB cable and let AutoSync run.

3. Then I started the Wireless Modem App which disabled the ActiveSync connection for me.

4. Windows then recognised a new device and I pointed it towards the drivers supplied on the T-Mobile disc which installed the HTC Smartphone Modem drivers.

5. Once it was installed, I ran the Dialler App and changed the APN Setting to macth the Wireless modem settings and entered the username and password and clicked connect.... job done.

It was as easy as that.

Guest soup dragon

Ahhhhhhhhhh

username: t-mobile

password: one2one

Worked for me but please note that if you've got push email switched on YOU MUST SWITCH IT OFF

Once I'd found that out it was easy...........and a fantastic option to have.

:) :D