Orange Partner Camp kicks off in Cadiz, Spain

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

[teaser]

partnercamp.gif

Greetings from Orange Partner Camp in Cadiz, Spain!

The camp has just kicked off, (full details), and I will be posting thoughts, pics and various snippets throughout the camp here! :rolleyes:

I'll leave you with a few nice pics i've taken already... read the full topic for more!

:(

P

PS CamerAware Tracker track of our journey from the airport here!

m700camp1.jpgm700camp2.jpg

campsign.jpgn95camp1.jpg

[/teaser]

n95camp2.jpg

n95camp3.jpg

Guest The Doctor
The M700 is very nice... the N95 is SCARILY nice! :rolleyes:

P

*attempts to resist the temptation to say that the N95 DOES look very nice indeed due to his vendetta against symbian phones*

M700 looks good in white, would be nice if you also had a choice of colour that you can specify when ordering one. The button layout lets it down a bit. Practical i can imagine but i prefer the look of the old prophet one.

Any thoughts about the weight of the two devices Paul? The N95 looked really chunky on the nokia website so i'm wondering if i'm right in thinking that it weighs half a ton?

Phil

Guest The Doctor
the important question is will the M700 have GPS either at launch or via a firmware upgrade later on?

At the moment the GPS is interfering with the Qualcomm GSM chipset they have running so my guess is that GPS will be activated later on when they sort out the issues with the GSM radio and the GPS radio.

Phil

Guest The Doctor
MMmm, that N95 does look good, maybe bye bye sp5 if funds allow when it's available...

Such a shame it runs symbian.... its such a shed of an OS. Would NEVER swap a WM device for a symbian as symbian has a tendancey to fall over when you run more than 2 applications at once.

Display looks very nice tho....

/waits for VGA screen smartphones :rolleyes:

Phil

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

N95 IS a nice looking phone :rolleyes: Heres hoping that the general Symbian issues on the N-Series handsets is sorted though. I've heard so many consistant stories of everything from poor battery life (that makes the E100/Tanagers look good!), calls and sms being dropped and delayed when on 3G, unstable software, phone hanging and leaving just a white screen. Makes you want to go back to Smartphone2002 :( Can't fault the spec or design though!

Guest wingnutLP
At the moment the GPS is interfering with the Qualcomm GSM chipset they have running so my guess is that GPS will be activated later on when they sort out the issues with the GSM radio and the GPS radio.

Phil

That is a real shame as the GPS is the clincher for me. It is about time for me to upgrade from an Sp5 and I was going to head in the direction of a PDA phone but the in built GPS was. Is there likley to be any guarantee that the GPS will be able to be enabled later on down the line? I guess not...

:rolleyes:

Guest The Doctor
That is a real shame as the GPS is the clincher for me. It is about time for me to upgrade from an Sp5 and I was going to head in the direction of a PDA phone but the in built GPS was. Is there likley to be any guarantee that the GPS will be able to be enabled later on down the line? I guess not...

:)

The GPS WILL be enabled at some point. They wouldnt bother putting the hardware in otherwise :( Will most deffinately be enabled by the time Orange Release the SPV M700 as orange have some GPS sofware called 'Orange Navigator' to go with it now.

So keep your fingers crossed :rolleyes:

Phil

Guest leshemnoam
The GPS WILL be enabled at some point. They wouldnt bother putting the hardware in otherwise :( Will most deffinately be enabled by the time Orange Release the SPV M700 as orange have some GPS sofware called 'Orange Navigator' to go with it now.

Phil

is the conflict issues with the GSM radio and the GPS radio a hardware problem or is the 'Orange Navigator' causing the problem? has anybody seen this handset on other networks?

Guest wingnutLP
The GPS WILL be enabled at some point. They wouldnt bother putting the hardware in otherwise :) Will most deffinately be enabled by the time Orange Release the SPV M700 as orange have some GPS sofware called 'Orange Navigator' to go with it now.

Phil

I thought sometimes Orange chopped features out eg they disabled the Wi Fi on their version of the sp5 but left the hardware in. I guess that was to protect their downloadinng and browsing revenue but I was wondering if they might do the same thing with the GPS for the sake of ease.

I don't necessarily want to go back to orange so I may just buy whichever version HTC release first :(

Thanks,

Alex

Guest The Doctor
I thought sometimes Orange chopped features out eg they disabled the Wi Fi on their version of the sp5 but left the hardware in. I guess that was to protect their downloadinng and browsing revenue but I was wondering if they might do the same thing with the GPS for the sake of ease.

I don't necessarily want to go back to orange so I may just buy whichever version HTC release first :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Alex

The C600 DIDNT have the WiFi hardware inside, you can even open one up and see where all the WiFi chips are meant to go but they aren't there, just an empty ball grid array.

As for GPS, it's definately there, just issues with getting it so the GPS signal doesnt interfere with the GSM radio means its disabled at launch. Orange will start selling it when the GSM/GPS issues are sorted (GPS enabled at launch) in two packages, one WITH orange navigator and one without. Alot like T-Mobies Co-Pilot packages but it wont require a bluetooth GPS reciever as it has one built in.

So far this handset has only been seen in orange and HTC form.

Phil

Guest wingnutLP

I bow to your superior knowledge! I am sure that I had read thet the C600 had the wi fi disabled rather than removed.

I will cross my fingers and hope for a prompt release :rolleyes:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.