Asus P525

Guest zen123

Guest starkman

Two of the most important problems with Asus P525 are

1) SKYPE doesn't work with internal speaker. It only works with the external speaker....

Here is the corresponding thread at the Asus official forum:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=200...SLanguage=en-us

2) Problematic and uncomfortable search functions with T9 - especially when searching a contact... (keypad defaults to numbers when it should default to letters...! )

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=200...&model=P525

I'm thinking that if we all go to those topics and raise our voice, maybe Asus will rush and release new updates / patches / roms that will solve these problems.

So please, anyone who is interested go at the above mentioned links (at the Asus forum) and make a comment so that Asus staff can see and realize that these problems MUST be solved asap.

(They do claim that Asus staff does not reply to the topics of the forum but we all know that they *do* read them)

Guest Ingvarr

1) This is case with every other PDA around. Problem is there is no standard API in Windows Mobile to access the second (phone) speaker.

2) This is actually the limitation of Windows Mobile 5 Contacts application, it can not be made working properly just with Input Method. Contacts in Windows Mobile Crossbow will fix it, maybe P525 will get an upgrade, who knows :)

Though you can remedy it to some extent - just press joystick up before searching for contacts - you will able to use Input Method (T9 or other) then.

Edited by Ingvarr

Guest starkman
1) This is case with every other PDA around. Problem is there is no standard API in Windows Mobile to access the second (phone) speaker.

I've read that with Eten X500 skype works fine via the phone speaker (supposedly the only PDA that works like that with skype, so far).

So maybe Asus would be able to do something - even Skype staff stated that they need Asus help to make it work (?)

Btw, a friend of mine with Ipaq 6915 says that his skype works with the phone speaker just fine, and not with the external speaker (!)

Edited by starkman

Guest rdtangg
T9 works only in text controls that support IME input. Unfortunately, a lot of ones without it.

I am currently developing an input method that will work everywhere where soft keyboard does.

Just putting finishing touches to it, and will publish it soon.

First version will be a simple multitap-like behavior, but I plan to add a Letterwise predictive input in the future.

Thank you for your effort in providing solutions to problems with P525. When will this be available?

Guest Ingvarr

First version already available

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?automodule...p;showfile=2043

Its quite limited for now, but you already can use it to enter text into apps that build-in T9 can not. And you can keep using T9 where you see it fit more.

I still aim for complete T9 replacement, but this is not easy task and it will take some time :)

Guest rdtangg

Its quite limited for now, but you already can use it to enter text into apps that build-in T9 can not. And you can keep using T9 where you see it fit more.

I still aim for complete T9 replacement, but this is not easy task and it will take some time :)

Very nice input method. Im sure this will be an excellent input method for Asus P525 once it is completed. I will use this until you release the new version. Thank you.

Guest starkman

I still aim for complete T9 replacement, but this is not easy task and it will take some time :D

Seems nice.

If I install it to my P525, will I be able to remove it if I want to, afterwards?

Also, does it actually replace the default T9 input method or is it added as another option?

I'm kind of confused from the description I've read at the link... :)

Guest rdtangg
Seems nice.

If I install it to my P525, will I be able to remove it if I want to, afterwards?

Also, does it actually replace the default T9 input method or is it added as another option?

I'm kind of confused from the description I've read at the link... :)

1. You can uninstall anytime.

2. It does not replace T9; PTap added as another option/choices.

Guest lspatricio

hey thanks for the effort! i'll give it a try. :D

EDIT:

I've tried it and it works the way as you described. Thanks. :D

Now, would it be difficult if you make it like the standard "multitap" instead of choosing via the "0+" key? I find it slow in typing using your modified version. but, hey, i might get used to it. :D

Nonetheless, great work. It works when the ASUS T9 doesn't. Especially in PIE and contacts. Cool! :)

Hope you can find time to finish the "complete T9 replacement". :D

Edited by lspatricio

Guest starkman

Hey all.

I have noticed that there are some cases where a disturbing sound is ringing when I do specific things on the P525.

For example I can hear that sound (something like a short "diiing") when I'm typing an sms and I insert a symbol... When I click the joystick to insert the symbol I have chosen, I hear that sound (ding).

Same thing when I choose a contact, (let's say) I choose to call the mobile number of that contact, so I press the joystick and I hear that sound for a second.

I also hear it when I use the speed dial. I press continuously one of the numbers of the keypad and when the number is called I hear that sound (it's like informing me that I don't have to press the key anymore and the call has already been launched).

I managed to discover that the sound is actually placed within the "sounds and notifications" but I'm not sure which of the two it is... it sounds like the "Loudest" or the "Quietest" sound.

However, I went into the "sounds and notifications" and I removed those sounds from all the Events.

Still, the sound rings like it is "called" from somewhere else...

Any idea how we could remove or change this sound?

Or is it only my P525 that does it?

Guest deloriaga

Hey all.

I have noticed that there are some cases where a disturbing sound is ringing when I do specific things on the P525.

For example I can hear that sound (something like a short "diiing") when I'm typing an sms and I insert a symbol... When I click the joystick to insert the symbol I have chosen, I hear that sound (ding).- i dont hear a sound in my p525 :D

Same thing when I choose a contact, (let's say) I choose to call the mobile number of that contact, so I press the joystick and I hear that sound for a second.- i do hear a sound in my p525

i think in the second case its is common for windows mobile devices. ive had an xphone2, dopod577w smartphone and an xda2s pocketpc, this is a common sound when you call.usually, in case of the smartphones this can be solved by a registry tweak im not sure in the case of our ppc :)

Guest MaxCorvette
I use the HTC speed dial application. You can download on the xda-developers site. Works a treat.

Please can you post a like to download Speedial? I cannot find it on XDA... thanks

Guest savvase

I am thinking of buying ASUS P525 but I have a couple of questions if anyone can help me I would really appreciate it. My first question is where I can download the latest English rom I have search asus.com but I can only find the French one. And second does anyone know which AKU is P525 uses? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest korsakov
The last beta is working with keys.

HTC SmartDial is not a stand-alone application, it originally ships only in ROM of HTC-made devices. All distribs around here made by people who extracted the needed files from ROM. There are a lot of different versions, look for one that suits you best.

Hi! Where can I find this EZdial beta, which is working with the numeric keypad? Otherwise great phone.

Guest korsakov

HTC SmartDial is not a stand-alone application, it originally ships only in ROM of HTC-made devices. All distribs around here made by people who extracted the needed files from ROM. There are a lot of different versions, look for one that suits you best.

Hi! Where can I find this EZdial beta, which is working with the numeric keypad? Otherwise great phone.

Guest korsakov

Guest CarloM13

I am wanting to use my P525 as a sat nav device also. I have an external GPS receiver and was wondering if anyone can advise what software to use and provide step-by-step installation instructions ?

Thank you.

• 3 months later...
Guest sLoDkI

I still aim for complete T9 replacement, but this is not easy task and it will take some time :rolleyes:

Hi all! Thanks a lot! It's a thing nearby the most important bug in P525 - T9 in all edits, and not possible to save the input method last choose.

Please, if it's not a problem to share the PTap source code, OR make small add to this app:

* possible to choose simple "Abc" without T9, but working like the rest of Your options - when I back again e.g. to address book (last time i've choose the "Asd" input, so this time is "Asd" input choosen too).

In my ROM: v.3.37.0 PLK (Polish), and I think like in all other versions, WM5 don't save the last choose in input type method. We all feel it mostly on address book (contacts), when default input is numeric pad (!!) and Asus DON'T help us.

I found that Yours PTap (again - TANKS!) - saved the last choose. If you can add options without T9 - it would be great.

Greetings,

sLoDkI

• 10 months later...
Guest reubengoh

hey i don't know if this thread is still active, but i've got a question to ask you p525 owners.

does you phone turn off all of a sudden, by itself? Even when its in your hands? I'm experiencing it, and its making me regret buying it....:D

any ideas on what to do about it?

Guest Ingvarr
does you phone turn off all of a sudden, by itself? Even when its in your hands?

Nope, never did it in 1.5 years I have it.

It sounds like a faulty battery (or maybe a bad battery contact).

Guest reubengoh

hmm... i'm not sure if its the battery problem. But i will try to put a paper to make sure the battery's pins are properly aligned.

It didn't happened before this, just after a trip to europe, it started going nuts.

I sure hope it won't cost a bomb fixing it, coz i do like the p525, except that 2 and 5 on the keypad is hard to press... :D

[edited 15 May]

noppes..... its not the battery problem.. :(

Looks like i just have to go back to the service center to check it out

Edited by reubengoh

• 8 months later...
Guest phatanthem

HYE THERE..

CAN ANYONE HELP ME ON MY ASUS P525 PROBLEM..

MY PHONE CAN ANSWER ANY CALL AND HEAR THE RECEPTION VERY LOUD..BUT WHEN I TRY TO TALK,THEY CAN'T HEAR ME VERY LOUD..IT IS NO THE MIC PROBLEM BCOZ I HAVE CHECK IT USING MY VOICE RECORDER..IT ALSO NOT COME FROM THE COVERAGE BCOZ ALL OTHER PHONE COVARAGE IN HERE WORK VERY WELL...

IS THERE ANY SETTING ON THE PHONE THAT I NEED TO CHANGE??ANYONE..HELP ME..

BEST REGARDS,

PHATANTHEM