Waterproof Case

Guest Blakey

Anyone know of a waterproof case specifically designed for the Prophet? Or even not quite specifically but generic yet a good fit for the prophet?

I don't want to go for something as expensive as the Otterbox Armor1900 - which is basically indestructable and also costs about

Found just what I was looking for. A friend of mine bought a Hydrapac water system for biking and it came with a small waterproof case which had some documents in. This little case just happens to about perfectly fit my m600 and is just what I was after.

Result!

Blakey

Guest spangelsaregreat
I'd still be interested in a made for purpose water proof case for the m600 if someone makes one of course...

Blakey

Try searching for Boxit waterproof case on the internet.

I used one on my Mountainbike, works in all weathers and protects the prophet really well.

Here is my JAM in one.

y9t9pr.jpg

Only costs about

I just emailed Boxit with this query:

Hi,

I have an Orange m600 phone (also known as the iMate JAMin). I am wondering if this phone/PDA will fit inside one of your cases, and in fact which case I need to buy?

Thanks

Blakey

to which they have just replied:

Hi there,

Thank you for your interest in Boxit waterproof cases.

Your Orange m600 doesn't fit inside the Boxit, it's too big.

Kind Regards,

Doesn't sound promising?

Blakey

Guest dr_nick

the boxit you are looking at (and the slightly longer verison also available) are both 6mm too narrow to fit the m600, though that photo shows they fit the JAM(?) quite nicely... despite my calculations that JAM is only ~1.5mm narrower than m600 (so still larger than quoted max. dimensions for boxit)...how frustrating.

i reckon it would probably fit in:

ipod otterboxes (though not ideal) (~15quid)

aquapacs (not particularly rugged) (~20quid)

(especially like the mp3 one with a waterproof audio jack - might get one for gymn/swimming [who am i kidding!]) (~25quid)

or then there's the armor 1900 - depth rated to 30m for the proper divers amoungst us! (~80quid)

:rolleyes:

would be ace if you could get waterproof stereo bluetooth headset.... hmm

hope this helps?!

dr_nick

I just emailed Boxit with this query:

to which they have just replied:

Doesn't sound promising?

Blakey

Edited by dr_nick

Well, I have gone for it and ordered the Boxit. I'll let you know if it fits when it turns up. If not it will be popping onto eBay. :-)

Should be here on Monday...

Blakey

Guest spangelsaregreat

The one pictured does take the JAMin.

It is a tight fit but does work.

It will be interesting to see if Blakey's one fits too.

Unless they have changed the sizings it should do, when I bought it from Mobilefun it was listed as a Boxit small case.

Regards

Guest dr_nick

the quoted maximum internal dimensions of the boxit small (and slighlty longer extended version) are 6mm smaller than quoted width of jamin/m600/prophet, and about 4mm smaller than the jam/m500/?).

however, the material does look slightly rubbery/flexible, so it may stretch somewhat to accommodate the devices. (this may explain the photo with a JAM in (not JAMIN in!)) - but do they remain waterproof?

i would be very interested if it does fit. and would like someone to be brave enough to depth test it...

i would love to take my phone swimming...

obviously either need waterproof bluetooth headphones (anyone seen any?), or some kind of waterproof cable out for standard waterproof headphones...

hmm

hurry up and let us know blakey!! :rolleyes:

dr_nick

Well, the Boxit turned up today. I think the man from the company was about right when he said it won't fit. I did manage to push it right inside and close the lid. So it does fit. And I suspect it probably will be 100% waterproof inside there. But I had a real hassle to get it back out again!! The issue seems to be the actual plastic loop at the top of the case. This isn't flexy and its a real squeeze to get it in there. I don't really see this plastic but stretching either (it shouldn't). So getting it in and out will always be a right pain in the neck.

I don't think I will be able to use it. :-(

Blakey

Well, having said I don't think I'll be able to use this case I have had a bit more of a play with it. It is VERY tight to get the phone in and out. However by squeezing the plastic loop and thus making it slightly wider as I slide the phone in and out it appears I can actually get it in and out, even if its quite a squeeze. So far it doesn't seem to be damaging the sides of the phone at all.

I'm off on my bike in the forest tonight (gotta love night rides!) and am going to attach the case to my bike and use it with Memory Map this evening.

Will continue to post how I get on with this case here...

If it matters I have an Orange m600. I dunno if this is ever so slightly a different size to the JAMin or if they are actually the same size.

Cheers

Blakey

Edited by Blakey

Well, I took it out for a proof of concept ride tonight. Its still blinking tight getting it in and out again, but once inside it works fine. I even had a crash into a river and although the phone didn't get submerged as such I think the splash damage would have done it some nastiness and it survived completely dry. I'm not too keen on giving it a full submergence test on my new phone but am pretty happy with it to be honest.

The bike mount certainly works great and although the m600 got a real shake up in the forest tonight it didn't seem to suffer too much from it. Well, not at all to be honest.

I would say that if this boxit case was a couple of mm wider at the top it would be absolutely top draw. As it is the squeeze makes it quite a bit annoying, but so far useable.

I don't think I'll bother taking it out on our night rides around our local forest which I know really well, but next time I'm out on the Downs or in Wales, I'll deffo be using it and Memory Map.

I'll report back here when I use it in anger again - probably end of the month when I do the Real Ale Ramble in Wales (walking in the mountains and drinking beer - brilliant!).

Cheers

Blakey

Guest spangelsaregreat

Hi,

Looks like it is exactly the same case as my one.

Couple of things...

It is definately waterproof for Mountainbiking. I use it on all my rides and have done so for more than year. That is everything from 25C plus to -4C, in sun, rain (we get alot in Scotland) and snow. I have never seen any moisture in the case.

I have had a number of crashes and it has always survived with no damage to the phone.

It is a tight fit (more so with the JAMin obviously) but my JAMin case has no scratches on it at all. The only slight pain is it does cause the volume control to move a bit as you put it in. When I use Memory Map I have set it up using Vito Button Mapper to disable the camera and comm button as they can be accidentally pressed when putting the phone in the case.

This may present some problems if you are using the phone generally without these buttons being disabled. Also with the phone in the case there is no access to the power button. I set mine to not power off on battery power and with a 5 min delay for the back light to go off. This means you can turn the backlight back on using any phone button.

I did consider the bike mount but I felt it makes the case sit a bit higher so elected to simply cable tie it directly to the stem which works well. A bit of a pain if you use it for more than mountainbiking, but I don't so...

I am not sure about complete immersion in water, I won't be trying it. I can think of one falling off in a stream moment where it was in the water for 10 to 15 seconds and it did it no harm. Not sure how it would do in deep water though.

I have never tried to make a call with it so not sure what the sound quality is like (though I can hear incoming call and text ringtones through it).

For me the bottom line is for the price (compared say with an Otterbox) it is very good value.

Just to prove once and for all here is....

Case opening (red tape to stop any scratching to phone case, my JAM got some minor scratches on the battery cover from use in the case)

yk44zk.jpg

JAMin in half way in, you can see it is a tight fit but it does go

yk44zh.jpg

And from the top halfway in

yk44zj.jpg

Jamin in with lid open

yk44zi.jpg

All the way in, notice it does push out the case sides as dr_nick correctly guessed.

yk44zx.jpg

Cable tie to stem arrangement

yk44zl.jpg

Regards

Great pics!

That's basically the same as mine but I did use the bike mount as I want to be able to use my boxit for walking in the mountains as well as biking - so need an easy release mechanism. I'm off up to the Lake District this weekend and will test it out further there - I'm walking not biking.

So far I am still not at the "able to make a recommendation" stage with this as I've not had it long enough. But its very encouraging to see you have had yours a year and it works well. I am seeing all the same issues you are with regards to fit (e.g. the volume slider moves and the camera button sometimes pushes in). But clearly that is not much of a problem for you.

On the plus side it was less than £20 (less than £30 including bike mount) and also smaller than the OtterBox.

Blakey

Edited by Blakey

Guest dr_nick

i have a simpler/cheaper solution for use when hillwalking, when the device can spend most of the time in your pocket, but needs to be showerproof when you get it out regularly...

i tie my m600 into a small colourless polythene sandwich bag... :)

pros:

would prob not be submersible, but is certainly very shower poof (two would probably give extra security)

disposable afterwards, so as to prevent wearing out of the seams

doesnt interfere with any functions (bluetooth, sound, volume slider, stylus use on screen)

incredibly cheap

cons:

doesn't give much in the way of shcok protection, so i wouldn't go droping it...

looks a little naff

this may be a suitable alternative for some of you?!

dr_nick

• 8 months later...
Guest xindrinker

im about to buy one, but in regard to the housing,

can you tell me if the housing makes it cumbersome to use the styus?

i was thinking in the sense of that thickish transparent window,

and say pressing the stylus in one area if it would be awkward to be precise?

Just thinking of that cause someone mentioned it was tightly in that housin?

;lol

Guest Blakey

You dont need the stylus to use Memory Map really - you can program buttons for zoom in and zoom out and it auto centres on the GPS signal.

However if you wanted to use it for anything else I'd say forget it. Don't think it would work.

Anyway, what are you going to do? You'd have to take it out of the jacket to get to the stylus in the first place...