Gigabyte g-Smart i200

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

Guest nedge2k

[teaser]

i200_thumb.jpg
Oh yeh baby, this is what I've been waiting for! :)

Now, some will lust over it's size. Some might even lust over its iPod-esque looks but for me, it's the dual mode digital tv tuner! That's right folks, DVB-H and DVB-T! Note: I'm assuming it's dual mode, I doubt very much they'd waste space packing in two seperate tuners.

To say im excited about this device is, well, a slight understatement. Gigabyte have shown so much promise in the past but let themselves down with annoying problems which could have been fixed if they wanted to.

Specs and pics after the jump....[/teaser]

• WM5.5 (NOT 6! - It's Crossbow not Photon!)
  • VGA touch screen
  • DVB-H / DVB-T TV tuner
  • 512MB onboard memory

Although that's all we have on this device at the moment, I'm sure you'll agree that in a device of that size, those are some impressive specs. Hopefully this new device will be as good in life as it is on paper but, as always, time will tell :rolleyes:

i200_1.jpg

i200_2.jpg

i200_3.jpg

Source [CNET Asia]

Better late than never ey :(

Guest sporkguy

They might get into some trouble with that logo as it looks rather similar to the Smart Car logo

However, nice looking device - if it wasn't for that hewge Aerial that's bound to blind people on the tube :rolleyes:

Good to see VGA screens being resurrected - about time too.

Lets hope the device actually works properly - which would be a bit of a departure for Gigabyte!

:rolleyes:

Guest Stuart_f
However, nice looking device - if it wasn't for that hewge Aerial that's bound to blind people on the tube

Do you get much TV reception a hundred feet underground then? I would assume it folds away when not in use....

I'm just hoping this gets picked up by a UK Operator (if Gigabyte can sort out it's past problems :rolleyes: ).

It would be great for my bus trip to work. :(

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

Oh come on, the antenna is clearly just for TV reception, and you can see its tucked away out of sight or detached in the first pic. The raw specs on this device are outstanding, nothing really competes with it. Wonder when its release date is? Hopefully its not going to be just another far-east only device... Also nedge, why would it be running Photon when we dont even have Crossbow yet?

2.69'' (!) VGA Screen. Talk about being silly, what is that, about 300+ dpi?

2.69'' is small for even QVGA touchscreens.

HiRes fonts make a big difference - VGA means you can read 6pt perfectly easily without that crappy mess they call Cleartype. I like things to be sharp on my screen, not have it look like it's been smeared with Vaseline :rolleyes:

The downside is that it pushing all those extra bits around will probably make it dog slow as a result - look how VGA hampers the 520MHz Universal. Unless they've also put an a decent GPU.

And of course, powering all that, and a DTT receiver will probably just give you enough battery life to watch the ad break!

Guest Ingvarr

I know what HiRes is, you dont need to tell me about it,- I've owned couple of VGA devices.

And "smeared with Vaseline" is a clear exaggeration especially for 2.8'' and below (this is already lot less then original 3.5'' size). Also nobody forces you to use Cleartype, its not even On by default.

VGA is good for 3.5-4.0''. For 2.7'' it will be a waste of memory&graphics processing power. And I would like to see you reading 6pt texts from 2.69'' screen - you better order for a magnifying glass from the start. If you want true VGA - forget about it, you will need a needle to click on things :rolleyes:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.