mms/vpn/terminal services help - warning LONG post ;-)

Guest anorak

ok - had my tytn (on vodafone) for a week now (infact we've got about 10 of them at work so I've been seting them all up). Had a few issues - no sms notification of voicemails (used the vodfone.net email/alerts service as per forum and works now), a strange issue where all handsets could send sms but would not receive 100% of them (from any network) (had to hard reset all the devices!!)

the main one I have struggled with is the connections.

I got my internet set up no problems pretty much strsight away.

I also got a vpn connection setup and working and then ran into the issue where you would open terminal services client and try and connect to one of the machines on the vpn and it would just drop the vpn connection straight away - turned out to be fixed by putting the servers I wanted to connect to via terminal services in the exceptions list and then ouila - i could open terminal services client - tell it to connect to the server i wanted and as if by magic the device would fire up the internet connection, then the vpn connection and then the desktop would connect!

brilliant I thought :(

Finally I turned my attention to getting mms working (it was enabled on the sims - I checked) - I noticed there was no mms server in mms service properties (under messaging) so created that.

Tried to send an mms to self and it just tried to send it and then it just would sit in outbox.

then I downloaded a cab of vodafone settings from one of the forums - mms now sent received fine but later discovered that vpn would not connect :eek: Finally I worked out that my exlusions had stopped working!:confused: Tried removing all the settings but it still wouldnt work. Searched to see if there was a registry key to enable this but couldnt find on. Finally after several hours I bit the bullet and did a hard reset. Set it all up again as previously (minus the vodafone cab) and all was well as again (but no mms again)

I then found the mms server settings on a forum and manually entered them and mms was working again - then discovered that If I tried to connect to the net it would use the wap connection under work (not the my isp one under internet even though settings were for progs to connect via my isp) - that I thought I could live with until I discovered that my vpn would try and connect and after a bit just fail!! (I'm guessing that the server that the wap connection uses doesnt allow vpn traffic whereas the one that the internet connection (gprs/3g) does)

So I'm really stuggling to get everything working together.

The only solution I have come up with so far is to put the wap connection as an additional connection under my isp and then switch to it when I want to send an mms (and I guess to receive one as well which is a bit useless, and i'm still not convinced of doing it this way).

Has anyone managed to get all of this working together!!! or am I just missing/misunderstanding something? Can someone explain!!?

here is a summary of what I have tried:

changed mms server to use "my isp" - wont send

as above but with mms proxy in for port 9201 - wont send

as above but changed to use "my work connection" - tries to establish vpn when sending mms

as above but removed proxies for http/s - tries to establish a vpn again

as above but put in vodafone wap connection under my isp - message sent ok! and received ok (over vodafone wap conn) - but no vpn!

took proxy out all together and works fine - but no vpn!

vpn still connects with term servcs (over vodafone wap conn)

If you have read this far - thanks! Sorry for the length of the post but I thought my experiences of some of the headaches I've had with the devices may be useful to others and save them some stress.

btw other than that I think the TYTN is great - works well and already some of our users are pleased because they can work more when out on the road - and happy users mean a happy techie :rolleyes:

Edited by anorak

Guest jimbouk

Its late...and I may not have read all of your post correctly...but the usual way of setting it up is:

In connections, connections, advanced tab, select networks, you would have the vodafone internet (3g/gprs) settings in the top box, and MY WORK network in the bottom box (private). This then tells the device to use internet for external and My Work for VPN etc.

The MMS shouldnt need to be set up as a network connection. It should be there...but only needs to be ste up on the server tab of MMS settings.

I am not on Vodafone, but i have Orange World for internet, My Work for a VPN into my server and Orange MMS (in mms settings).

Hi there - thanks for the reply.

I have tried what you suggested again and same result as previously. Without a wap connection setup under connections the message - when you try and send an mms it says it is sending it but then it just stays in the outbox with a clock on the msg icon. I have checked the server settings under mms server and they appear to be fine. If I then put the wap server back in under connections then mms works again but no vpn as per above! :(

:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

ok - have got it all working now - the key to mms/internet was to create a new isp connection for mms and set mms messaging option to use that connection.

for vpn you need to put the servers you want to connect to in the exceptions list - then when you try and connect to them they should fire up the vpn.

here is summary of settings entered for internet/mms

GPRS

Start -> Settings

Tap the 'Connections' tab at the bottom of the screen.

Tap the 'Connections' icon.

Tap the 'Advanced' tab at the bottom of the screen.

Tap the 'Select Networks'

Tap the 'New button' directly under the first drop down box.

Enter Vodafone into the text box and then tap the 'Modem' tab at the bottom of the screen.

Tap the 'New' button.

Enter Vodafone into the text box and then select 'Cellular Line (GPRS/3G)'. Tap the 'Next' button to proceed.

Enter internet into the text box. Tap the 'Next' button to proceed.

Enter web into 'Username' and web into 'Password'. 'Domain' is left blank. Tap the 'Finish' to complete the setup.

Tap 'Ok' at the top right of the screen to exit out.

You should now be able to access the internet.

MMS

Start -> Settings

Tap the 'Connections' tab at the bottom of the screen.

Tap the 'Connections' icon.

Tap the 'Advanced' tab at the bottom of the screen.

Tap the 'Select Networks'.

Tap the 'New button' directly under the first drop down box.

Enter Vodafone MMS into the text box and then tap the 'Modem' tab at the bottom of the screen.

Tap the 'New' button.

Enter Vodafone MMS into the text box and then select 'Cellular Line (GPRS)'. Tap the 'Next' button to proceed.

Enter wap.vodafone.co.uk into the text box. Tap the 'Next' button to proceed.

Enter web into 'Username' and web into 'Password'. 'Domain' is left blank. Tap the 'Finish' to complete the setup.

Tap the 'Ok' at the top right of the screen to exit out.

Start -> Messaging

Tap the 'Menu' at the bottom of the screen and select 'MMS Configuration'.

Tap the 'Servers' tab.

Tap the 'New' button.

Enter Vodafone MMS into 'Server name',

212.183.137.12 into 'Gateway',

9201 into 'Port number',

http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms into 'Server address',

Choose Vodafone MMS from 'Connect via' drop down box.

Tap the 'Ok' button to complete the installation.

Hope this helps someone in future.