Crossbow for Smartphone screenshots leak

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Over in this thread at GPS Passion, you'll find the first leaked screenshots of Crossbow, the next release of Windows Mobile, on Smartphone (pics also posted below).

Interesting points to note...

- Slightly modernised designed, Vista'ised icons

- Integrated Office support

- Windows Live Messenger / Windows Live installed in these screenshots

- MS Voice Command for Smartphone installed in these screenshots

Crossbow isn't expected to hit the ground until well into 2007.

What's your thoughts? Is a fairly subtle lick of paint good enough to keep the Smartphone OS fresh?

P

post-1-1161977662_thumb.jpg post-1-1161977667_thumb.jpg post-1-1161977677_thumb.jpg

Guest Sonicr360

You could get a theme if you want fancy icons.

I hope the devices are up to the job of running this; Nothing worse than a fancy "look", causing slowdown on the physical device.

My opinion = nothing new to see here. Not impressed yet. Early days.

Is there not an ICON creater for PPC ? Or is it Wisbar that gives you a fancy shell (aka Vista Theme?)

Simon

Guest mini_man

Yummy! is all I can say lol!

Would love too some screen shots of what office mobile is like!

Im also assuming they are using different voice command software because that looks awefully similar to that leaked Voice Command software to smartphone icon.

My views

Sam

Guest nickcornaglia

OfficeMobile, Voice Command, Live/messenger....all great news.

As for the UI....if I were them....I would have changed the whole thing to something more flashy...more unique...more cool!

Maybe something like the XBOX 360?

Personally, I'm not all that impressed. The icons, while their overall theme has been updated, still lack antialiasing (As a result of the relatively low-colour screens, I'm guessing). Heck, even a drop shadow behind the Windows Media Player icon would've helped. The fonts still seem just...well, boring. Both of these facts really do go against the whole modern feel they're no doubt trying to project with the glossy titlebar.

In my honest opinion, it would be better if microsoft pushed for the Crossbow Smartphone platform to have the features I mentioned above, rather than it's simply glossy title bar and the promise of a pretty new homescreen. Function should come before form, in my opinion.

That said, I'll still be upgrading to Crossbow, when it eventually appears (Can't sit on a C550 forever, can I? :rolleyes:), and that title bar sure is glossy :(

Guest james_h_winters

when this comes out, i wonder if i can upgrade my sp5m to this... hmm... the thought of having a built in excel on my smartphone is very appealing... the built in file explorer is not to good. i'd prefer resco's or smart explorer anytime. connectivity... it'd be great if they had updates in that area as well (perhaps faster bt, ir, or whatever. if they don't got a2dp in the package already, that'd just not be smart.) but i guess more details will come in the weeks/months to come... :rolleyes:

Guest Sonicr360

Seeing as there is a WU Service (supposedly) into this new core OS, my feeling is probably not.

As mentioned, if they are going to give this an overhaul, then it may well be, certain devices may not be compatible with it :rolleyes:

Guest roma0803

I've seem to have read somewhere that a first "Crossbow" device will hit the market somewhere in the first two months of next year. I'll see if I can dig it up again but I've read it at several sites (which doesn't make it true, but still a gooooood rumor).

Guest Ingvarr
That was the main thing that jumped out at me.

Actually, this functionality already was present in WM5 for smartphone, it just was called "download agent" or something like that. It was supposed to be used for software updates too.

But did somebody actually use it? No. :rolleyes:

Edited by Ingvarr

Oooo new homescreen plugins. When can we expect to see this and on what device/s?

I'm debating whether to upgrade to a WM5 running device now or wait.

Those glossy bars are sweet but I bet they still aren't skinnable :rolleyes:

Icons still look incredibly jagged, some alphablending would be good...

Also I want to see the home screen, as I don't spend nearly as much time looking at the menus.

Finally what's the feature set? improvements to connectivity?

Guest Ingvarr

Jags is due to enlarged screen - monitors have lower DPI. On real smartphone device screen (2.0-2.2'') jags is not as noticeable.

Since Crossbow is just a second edition of 5.0, it does not support any kind of alpha-blending.

Looks to me there's nothing new under the sun other than a few new icons and some programs that should've been there all along. I'm sure most people would agree that the thing MS phones definitely haven't had going for them is the GUI and general nice look 'n feel. I simply don't understand why they don't do something major about that area. As mentioned; full skinability, alpha blending - the list is long! ... I mean, is this supposed to be innovative???

Guest Ingvarr

You will see a full list of new features when it will be out. About half of it is app development changes, not noticeable to usual user.

Dont expect any groundbreaking changes - remember, this is just upgrade of 5.0 branch. In scale its somewhere between AKU updates and true new OS version.

"Crossbow" is not a new major WM version. Think of it as "WM5 Second Edition"

"Photon" will be the next WM version ("WM6"), using CE 6.0 kernel, but its a lot more of work and it will be out a lot later.

Edited by Ingvarr

Guest Sonicr360

I am with Crispy on this - I gave my views earlier - does shock me how many people seem "impressed" by the icons lol - unless the comments are from people who have yet to move to a WM5, which I could possibly understand.

Yes, second addition would sum this up nicely - aka Win98 Second Edition... new icons, few "extra" features (which maybe should have been in the 1st edition), and possibly the need to run on better hardware.

But is it an "upgrade" to allow us to upgrade our current "WM5" devices? Or is it an "upgrade" as in this will be the next release of WM PPC / Smartphone when you get a better device?

Simon

In my opinion, Voice Command and Office Mobile is a huge thing for Smartphone.

Now, when are PPCs going to get a nice skinnable home screen like the Smartphone. The Today screen isn't a patch on it, in my opinion. I wonder if MS only keep it around because some of the biggest software vendors for PPC wouldn't be happy about it being changed.

You will see a full list of new features when it will be out. About half of it is app development changes, not noticeable to usual user.

Dont expect any groundbreaking changes - remember, this is just upgrade of 5.0 branch. In scale its somewhere between AKU updates and true new OS version.

"Crossbow" is not a new major WM version. Think of it as "WM5 Second Edition"

"Photon" will be the next WM version ("WM6"), using CE 6.0 kernel, but its a lot more of work and it will be out a lot later.

Just curious...where'd you get that information from?

Guest Ingvarr
But is it an "upgrade" to allow us to upgrade our current "WM5" devices? Or is it an "upgrade" as in this will be the next release of WM PPC / Smartphone when you get a better device?

I think it will be counted as "new OS" in terms of distribution (not as AKUs which were available to manufacturers with no additional charge).

So most likely it will incur additional licensing costs to manufacturers (not sure how big though).

And considering the fact that manufacturers didnt rush with even "free" AKU updates, probability of "upgrade", as usual, not big. Although its a lot bigger then probability of WM2003 => WM5 was, due to lot less structural differences this time.

gyos23, its not "secret" information in any way, it was already available for quite a time, just dispersed. And I've just condensed it :rolleyes:

For example, Microsoft declared officially long ago that versioning of Windows Mobile will be updated to match the version of Windows CE kernel it uses (when it went from WM2003 to WM5), and also they officially declared that Crossbow won't be using CE 6.0 yet, so you can easely figure out things :(

I think its even in Wikipedia now :)

Edited by Ingvarr

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.