Emulation on the Hermes

Guest Matt Kirby

Guest Matt Kirby

I’ve recently been playing about with various games and emulators, and I though I’d share my findings.

Generally emulation on the Hermes is great, although there are quite a few emulators that don’t work so well. I’ve only listed ones I’ve found to work, if you’ve found a better one please post it here. Another thing to note, if you’re playing and a call comes through expect a crash!

I’ve only looked for non-commercial emulators, most of these are freeware or shareware.

Legal disclaimer:

Most of these emulators require copyrighted ROM images for the games you want to play, some people argue that it’s fine to have a ROM image for a game you own, but AFAIK that hasn’t been tested legally. I won’t tell you where to get ROM images (either will anyone else here), but the usual methods of acquiring items of dubious legality should sort you out.

PC game Ports (these use the game files from the PC version, will play the shareware version if you don’t own the original)

Pocket Insanity Wolfenstien 3D (site back up!)

Does landscape, and is configurable through the GUI. Good bit of old skool!

SPVDuke3D By Roozbeh, here on MoDaCo

Works well, although you can’t set key mappings through the GUI easily so you need to edit the config file (mine’s attached if you want it). My config file starts in ladscape mode (joypad on right), and uses joypad to move, W,A,S,D to look and the green phone key to quit to menu. For other key mappings see the file itself.

gfDoom

I haven’t played with this one much yet. Seems to start well, looks like it will need a config file adapting.

Pocket Quake

Plays really well, in landscape mode too! You do need to set key mappings using a config file (mine's attached). This config file sets it to play in landscape mode (joypad on left), and gives you a toggle to switch between landscape and portrait. You can look around by using the stylus on the screen. Pocket Quake will run from Storage Card, but needs to be in a “Quake” folder on the root. Also, if you want to save files you have to leave the “pak” files zipped, which does make level loading slower but does allow game saving.

Console emulators

With these some ROMS will not work, so it’s trial and error time! Unless specified otherwise all of these play well, with sound, in landscape mode. For most of them you can exit full-screen landscape mode by tapping the screen (which pauses the game), and save the console-state whilst paused. For opening ROMS most of these emulators can only see one folder deep, so you need to put ROMs in a folder off the root.

PokeNes

This one plays well, however it doesn’t do landscape, and doesn’t remember key-mappings. Also it’s really bad at resuming after pausing! I haven’t tested game saving, because I doubt it’ll continue after. If anyone has found better let me know.

PocketSNES Bleeding Edge

There are quite a few PocketSNES versions out there, this is the most stable one on the Hermes that I’ve found. The settings I’ve found to work best are:

Display: Landscape Stretched, no auto frame-skip, set manual frame-skip to 3.

Sound: Select: Sound Emulation, Sync Sound, Interpolate Sound, Alt Sound Decode, Fix Frequency. Leave others unselected. Set quality to 8-bit, and the rate to Low.

PocketGBA

Game Boy Advance on the Hermes! This is pushing the device a bit, so expect newer ROMs not to work.

PicoDrive (MegaDrive / Genesis) (I’ve attached this one as the author’s site has disappeared)

I don’t think I changed any settings on this one, plays very well. There are many other PicoDrive versions out there, but most wont do landscape on the Hermes. This version is by Hao Zhang and is version 0.04.

Computer emulation

PocketClive (Sinclair Spectrum)

Looks promising, however games come as tape images, which the emulator has to load in real-time (remember waiting 15mins for a game to load?). Once a game is loaded you can capture a snapshot to reload later, however I haven’t been bothered to test that yet!

Pocket Caprice (Amstrad CPC)

This plays well, as it’s not exactly pushing the Hermes! For "ROMS" I’d advise getting disk images for the CPC 6128 for quick loading.

There are other emulators out there, there’s a good list here and here. I've tried many of those, and many are either dead or don't work as well as the ones here.

Any other suggestions welcome!

DUKE3D_config.zip

Pocket_Quake_config.zip

PicoDrive__MegaDrive_.zip

Edited by Matt Kirby

You are a star Matt! I couldn't figure out how to config the keys in Duke, or at least what you needed to enter in the config file so that has sorted me out. I will give quake a try too.

Guest Matt Kirby

Swampcat:

SCUMMVM is next on my list to play with, how does it play?

Dr Who:

Glad to help!

It took me a while to work it out as well, so I thought I'd share.

Quake is definately worth a go, it is slow to load levels and save-games but plays really well.

Guest emyllis

ScummVM is great!

Has it on my smartphone and it worked great - with the new version, you can adjust the screen to make it glorious wide screen and it really helps enjoyment levels.

Magic!

Dr Who:

Glad to help!

It took me a while to work it out as well, so I thought I'd share.

Hmmm, I put your .cfg file on my phone and now Duke is crashing out on startup every time. I haven't played if for ages, since I couldn't get the keys setup properly, so it may have been borked already. Anything in your config file that could cause it to screw? I am using a Vario II. Won't have a chance to try putting an old .cfg on there until tonight.

Guest EyEwitness

Pocket Transport Tycoon

Great sim game, manage a transport empire. Wasted many many hours with this over the years. (Played it on Palm, but the WM5 version has better features), Can be found at: eSoft interactive

Edited by EyEwitness

Hmmm, I put your .cfg file on my phone and now Duke is crashing out on startup every time. I haven't played if for ages, since I couldn't get the keys setup properly, so it may have been borked already. Anything in your config file that could cause it to screw? I am using a Vario II. Won't have a chance to try putting an old .cfg on there until tonight.

Definitely your config file that is causing Duke to crash. Still, should point me in the right direction.

• 1 month later...
Guest thecresta

Hi All,

I'm getting a strange button conflict in PocketSNES / Picodrive (I haven't tried any other emulators).

For example, in racing games when you press the D pad to turn whilst you are holding down the accelerate button, the accelleration will cancel out and the button will temporarily re-map itself with the D-pad direction. So instead of turning a corner whilst accellerating, you stop moving forward but carry on turning. :)

Anybody else have this problem?

Cheers,

Andy

Guest Prosody

Anyone got Transport Tycoon working?

On my Vario 2 and my Ipaq they run but the on screen pointer is out of line with where on the screen I press. :D

EDIT : Doesn't matter, found the forums there, they've made a beta that fixes the cursor shifting but it's only for VGA devices at the moment. It works on QVGA but you can't read a thing lol.

He's making a QVGA version . I'll sit and wait patiently. :)

Edited by Prosody

• 6 months later...
Guest UndeadDevil
Definitely your config file that is causing Duke to crash. Still, should point me in the right direction.

I found spvDuke elsewhere today, been playing. Even made myself a Installation CAB with all the GRP's.

Without this Config File I would have given up on setting the keys. However there was one huge mistake in the Config File which caused it to crash. Its so simple that I almost didn't notice it.

CacheMemory = 2600 < It has to be CacheMemory = "2600"

I hope the Dr figured this out. Thanks for the Config file, and umm if anybody owns Duke 3D then PM me for installation CAB with everything set-up (Music, Icon in Games Menu)