New Vario II tomorrow..

Guest basegreen

Guest basegreen

So I take delivery of my Vario II tomorrow.

There's a HUGE amount of stuff on the site, and some good sticky threads about apps etc, but I wanted to know what I need to be doing when I first get the handset.

Firmware - can I upgrade this? Are tehre any tricks in terms of getting rid of any "pack-in" apps and customisation.

Any really good COMMERCIAL apps - replacement diallers, etc. I'm from a P9xx/N91 background, if that helps.

I've ordered a Brodit mount for my Honda Civic (2006/7 edition)... but any other accessories you guys can't live without?

Guest jimbouk

Check out Pauls Must Have threads at the top of the Hermes area.

You can remove the T customisations by hard reset/soft reset trick - but I wouldnt bother.

Just get used to it first, then add in some of the essential freebies from Paul's thread.

Guest richard_d

No firmware (ROM) updates yet.

You can open the extended rom and remove the T-Mobile stuff (or the hard rest/soft rest trick) but I don't really see any point in doing so.

Apps wise it really depends what you need - some find a diary replacement essential, whilst I just use the free birthdays plug-in. I really like iLauncher, others prefer SPB's version, and some don't like any desktop launchers. If you play lots of music/video then that might be your first port of call etc. etc.

Have a play and see what you can't do as easily as you'd like.

Guest The Doctor
No firmware (ROM) updates yet.

Official ones that is :( i've built up a collection of around 4 now (i-mate, dopod, Vodafone, o2) so i will be comparing all of them and the tmob rom when i get my hermes :rolleyes:

[back on topic]

ALOT of people i've seen have Wisbar Advance (start menu replacement?)

Phil

Guest basegreen

Cheers. Obviously I've read quite a few threads, but just wanted to check there wasnt something obvious I'd missed - you know, a basic setting to save power, or remove an annoying thing out-of-the-box.

Guest richard_d
Cheers. Obviously I've read quite a few threads, but just wanted to check there wasnt something obvious I'd missed - you know, a basic setting to save power, or remove an annoying thing out-of-the-box.

Power wise ensure bt, wi-fi, ir beams are all switched off unless in actual use.