ActiveSync Issues

Guest Sadlybrokeboy

Guest Sadlybrokeboy

Heeeeeeeellllllllllllllpppppppppppppp!

My one faithful syncing M3100 has stopped syncing - both with the 4.5 beta versions (both of them) and AS 4.2!

I've tried unticking the the box in Connections/USB to PC/Enable advanced network functionality

And, I've rebooting/re-setting - and I'm a gnats pube from doing a hard-reset....

....Anyone got any ideas? :rolleyes::(:(

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Guest Fredde87

Could you post the error code activesync/phone gives you? Should say attention required, and if you press it it should give you the error message with an error code at the end.

Guest Sadlybrokeboy

Hi,

It says that it can't connect (after spending an age trying to) - the troubleshooter gives me the following message:

Unable to establish a connection between the PC and the device. Get up-to-date solutions to common connection problems. Please click the following link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=65257

The device appears to be disconnected. Please connect your device to the PC

Don't know if that helps - but I'm incredibly frustrated! :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Matt

When your phone is cabled to the PC go to Device Manager and locate the USB entry for the device (it only appears when you are physically connected) and delete it. Unplug your phone, reboot the PC and reconnect. It should pick up the phone and reinstall the drivers which will hopefully sort you out.

Guest Sadlybrokeboy
When your phone is cabled to the PC go to Device Manager and locate the USB entry for the device (it only appears when you are physically connected) and delete it. Unplug your phone, reboot the PC and reconnect. It should pick up the phone and reinstall the drivers which will hopefully sort you out.

Thanks for taking the time Dr WHo - it's not worked! :(

So hard-reset here I come - many thanks! :rolleyes:

Matt

Guest Julie U

I just started having the same problem a few days ago with my Cingular 2125. I have been using ActiveSync 4.2 since early this year and switched to ActiveSync 4.5 Beta a month or so ago. Everything has been fine and now I get that same message Sadly got:

Unable to establish a connection between the PC and the device. Get up-to-date solutions to common connection problems. Please click the following link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=65257

The device appears to be disconnected. Please connect your device to the PC

I have tried changing cables, reinstalling 4.5 Beta, backing down to 4.2 and nothing has helped. I will try Dr. Who's suggestion tomorrow (my laptop is at work tonight and that's where I sync) and post if it works. I REALLY don't want to do a hard reset but would be curious if that does clear up the problem for Matt.

Thanks, Julie

Guest Sadlybrokeboy

Morning all,

I have an update for you all - I did a hard reset - and it all worked OK! Synced straight away!

But then as soon as I did a full restore from my SPB backups (which restored the PPC straight away with no fuss incidentially) - and it stopped working! :rolleyes:

So today at some point will try again with a partial restore and see what happens...anyone got any suggestions as to to what might be causing it?

Matt

Guest Sadlybrokeboy
Have you installed any new software recently that would exist on your backup?

Morning,

The only thing I've installed and run on the PPC recently that hasn't been on there is SK Tools - wonder if its "tweaks" have tweaked one thing too many.

The restore seems to have gone OK - reinstalled everything and I'm just making the necessary adjustments - won't be using SK Tools until I've figured out what happened... :rolleyes:

Thanks,

MAtt

• 5 weeks later...
Guest MikeWard1701

I too am having ActiveSync problems!! :)

I'm syncing via USB, Worked fine a first then it all went tits up, now keep getting crtical error message on my device, plus it keeps disconncecting mid-sync.

The Critical Error I get on my device reads: "A critical error has occured. The next tie you sync you will lose changes made since your last successful sync." Support code: 0x86000209.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling ActiveSync 4.2 to no avail.

Also I'm not able to change the settings for; Contacts, Tasks, and Notes.

Is it just me or has ActiveSync taken a step backwards and become far too basic since v4?

Compared to 3.8 and my WM2003SE MDA Compact I seem to have lost a lot of options and settings.

I remember being able to;

> Specify Catergories for syncing; Contacts, Calendar, Tasks.

> Specify a range for syncing Past and Upcoming Calendar items.

> Specify whether to only sync Active Tasks and a range for completed tasks.

A few other things I can't remember right now.

Where did Backup/Restore go? Why was it removed?

Could the fact I'm using a USB hub be causing the connection probs?

I'm gonna try Dr. Who's suggestion and hope it works, as I've got no way to backup my device and want to avoid a hard reset if I can.

Any help and advice welcome,

Mike

Edited by MikeWard1701

Guest cjgarside

Hello,

I have had many of the ActiveSync issues listed in this thread. The main one being that my Vario II just would not connect whatsoever after working successfully for a little while.

I uninstalled / reinstalled / changed the usb cable / hard re-set etc etc.

When it was connected to a hub I was getting the non connection error message plus finding that my connection tray was becoming corrupted and I had to sometimes re-start my 'puter. I finally resolved this by doing a combination of the suggestion from Dr Who plus making sure the Vario II was connected directly to my 'puter - these issues no longer occurred and ActiveSync has behaved. I have seen references somewhere on a MS support site that ActiveSync and WM5 devices do not like hubs!!

So you could maybe try connecting direct to your 'puter, doing Dr Who's suggestion and unticking the box in Connections/USB to PC/Enable advanced network functionality to see if that helps before doing a hard reset - good luck!

As for the Backup/Restore option being removed:

AFAIK its because MS in their (alleged) unwieldy godly wisdom decided on behalf of the consumer that as WM5 devices have non-volatile persistent storage there is no need for such a facility. The registry / filesystems etc 'persist' through loss of battery power so therefore we (again allegedly) don't need a backup/restore option. My 'puter has persistent storage yet I have to back that up..............

I'm sorry I can't help with the reasons to the reduction of the available syncing options in ActiveSync other than to say I agree with you :)

Regards,

Chris

Edited by cjgarside