Mio finally release A701 AKU2 upgrade

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Finally... Mio have released their AKU2 upgrade for the A701 GPS / Pocket PC phone!

Available to download here the new update features:

* Microsoft email-push and MSFT technologies

* Voice command and dialling

* Emergency location sms - Location call

* New speed dialer

* Build-in Phone City application

* Operators settings GPRS Configuration tool updates

* And bug fixes

MoDaCo member robbyb has installed and test the update (thanks for the TIPoff!) and had the following to say:

Me? I've been waiting for the push email, so, plunging in...

The install went well, with no drama.

They've redesigned the Today page. Happy days - there is a battery indicator on the Today page. There's also a link to the Memory page in Settings. What are they saying? You'll need this often so we've put it on the Today Page?

The Wireless Manager is available from the Today Screen.

I tried the GPRS config tool and wasn't impressed - the O2 settings had no password and so I couldn't hop onto the web. Still, a quick browse around filesaveas.com and I was back in action (on the web).

The machine seems quicker, but this might be because my apps are no longer there!

I'm off to synchronise my phone with Outlook and then install an app or two and then set up Push Email and then...

See Ya!

It all sounds great, so if you are a A701 owner... get downloading! :rolleyes:

P

step9.jpg

I gave my A701 to my brother, did the update yesterday without any drama. Too little too late. It addresses some of the issues but not all. Great hardware let down by crap software implementtaion & customer service. Lets hope A701 mkII fares a lot better

The lack of OK / Windows / Soft keys bugs the hell out of me on that device :rolleyes:

P

I thought that too, at the start. But now I've mapped Start to the media key, and OK/Close to the Nav key, it's quite intuitive (the satnav logo even looks a bit like an 'X'). I've also remapped Camera button to TomTom.

So now everything's easily navigable with one hand, even when driving. As for the soft keys, there's not much difference between touching the screen or pressing a button, once you get used to it.

BTW, the R65 AKU2 upgrade is a vast improvement on R45, but I still had some lockup problems. The latest Custom ROM on the other hand, is better still and clears up many issues that R65 has failed to fix.

Edited by Metoo

Guest Rincewindwiz
I thought that too, at the start. But now I've mapped Start to the media key, and OK/Close to the Nav key, it's quite intuitive (the satnav logo even looks a bit like an 'X'). I've also remapped Camera button to TomTom.

So now everything's easily navigable with one hand, even when driving. As for the soft keys, there's not much difference between touching the screen or pressing a button, once you get used to it.

BTW, the R65 AKU2 upgrade is a vast improvement on R45, but I still had some lockup problems. The latest Custom ROM on the other hand, is better still and clears up many issues that R65 has failed to fix.

A couple of Qs from a newbie.

1) Is there any doc on the new features in R65?

2) Where can one get these custom ROMs of which you speak?

TFAI

A couple of Qs from a newbie.

1) Is there any doc on the new features in R65?

2) Where can one get these custom ROMs of which you speak?

TFAI

Google for the unofficial A701 forums and you'll find at least fourpages of info :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.