Orange launch offboard navigation solution

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

After probably THE longest gestation period ever... Orange have finally launched their offboard navigation system, in partnership with Webraska.

post-1-1162370115_thumb.jpg

Orange Business Services today launched a new GPS navigation application to be downloaded on to a range of mobile devices – including smartphones and PDAs from Nokia, Sony Ericsson, BlackBerry™ and Orange – providing its business customers with a real-time, cost effective solution.

Powered by Webraska, a leading provider of GPS navigation solutions, Sat-Nav from Orange can be used when walking, cycling or driving. Rather than having a specific device just for this application, Sat-Nav from Orange works on a range of mobile devices making it a cost effective business investment. All maps and live traffic updates are held on a central server and are downloadable from the internet via Wifi, 3G, GPRS or the Orange EDGE network onto the mobile device. This saves precious memory space and ensures that maps and points of interest are always up to date.

Sat-Nav allows users to save time, fuel and money by working out the most efficient route to a destination. According to navigational analyst Canalys “The mobile GPS navigation market is doubling year on year in EMEA. By the end of the year 14 million Sat Nav units will have been sold in the UK of which around 1 million will be on smartphone devices.” Sat-Nav on mobile devices means that users are free from the constraints of having a fixed device. Users can switch modes of transports, whether it is pool, hire or their own cars and can even get directions when walking.

“Using Sat-Nav on your mobile means businesses can save time and money. It is easy to use and enables businesses to streamline the number of devices they have to purchase and manage” said Gareth Williams, Group Manager Solution Products, Orange Business Services. “The location based service market is currently around £55m and estimated to double by 2009 according to the Yankee Group. Orange is well placed to capitalise on this opportunity through our brand, channel reach, customer service and understanding of how applications work in a mobile environment.”

The application is quick and easy to install on a number of mobile devices and once installed, it is easy to download routes. The detailed maps from NAVTEQ are stored on Webraska’s servers and hold information on hotels, restaurants, parking and other useful points of interest as well as speed cameras and live traffic information. The maps are updated every three months and therefore more up to date than standard Sat-Nav devices for which users need to buy new maps on an annual basis.

Once each route has been downloaded, Sat-Nav from Orange provides GPS-triggered real-time, turn by turn voice instructions, clear maps with road names and pictograms of turns, which provide accurate directions, even in the most built up areas. Favourite routes can be saved to mobile devices. The real-time road traffic information allows routes to be optimised according to traffic conditions and enables automatic re-routing should traffic conditions become challenging.

Provided you have good mobile service and a cheap data plan, there's no debating the benefits of offboard navigation. Centrally stored maps mean they can be updated easily and frequently (Orange are claiming quarterly updates), and the footprint on the device is small (around 3MB).

The solution comes in at £150 + VAT including a GPS, mount and charger, with real time traffic information available for an additional £27.59 + VAT.

I'll be putting the software through it's paces... and telling you whether you should be considering it instead of the more established onboard solutions!

To find out more, visit this page at Orange Business.

P

Guest Pondrew
Provided you have... a cheap data plan

Do Orange have a cheap data plan? (and no I don't consider a minimum monthly spend of £40 a month to be cheap... :rolleyes: )

Well, I wasn't going to say that, but... :(

I'm wondering if it works on other operators too :rolleyes:

P

There is a system out there that is very much like this orange set up in the way that you have to download your route via wi-fi/gprs/3g and its free (for now) all you pay for is the data (lucky you WnW people) to down load the application and the route/map info

have a look here for more details - http://www.nav4all.co.uk/site2/www.nav4all...enguk/index.php

I have not tried it my self but I do have a mate who has it on his Sony Ericson and it works a treat - yes PPC is supported on it - just about any phone is. **** Note - PPC phones are listed but just looked and see that phones like the MDA/SPV M3000/M5000 type's not currently supported but coming soon. ****

Edited by M1TNT

Guest pd.ryder
Do Orange have a cheap data plan? (and no I don't consider a minimum monthly spend of £40 a month to be cheap... :rolleyes: )
Just one more reason Orange's *big idea* will fall flat on it's arse! C'mon Orange, sort out your data charges for us low-spenders - - pleeeease?

Guest chucky.egg
There is a system out there ... www.nav4all.co.uk

As far as I can see that doesn't support any WM5 devices.

And judging by their expected release dates for other features...

"Tracking and Tracing"

The expected release date is 1st March 2006

I wouldn't hold your breath

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.