GMail Midlet client

Guest simonster

Guest simonster

Hi All

Has anyone noticed the new GMail Client available from Google? There's some background HERE and you can download it by accessing the site HERE: http://gmail.com/app (but you have to do it from your device you get nada from a PC).

I've tried it with my M3100 and it doesn't seem to work (can't use any data connection) :rolleyes: ...not sure if that's an Orange issue or a device problem. The compatibility page doesn't list the M3100 - it does list some XDAs - and it also states that some carriers don't work.

Just interested in peoples experiences with Gmail on their mobile.....

s

Edited by simonster

Guest basegreen
Hi All

Has anyone noticed the new GMail Client available from Google? There's some background HERE and you can download it by accessing the site HERE: http://gmail.com/app (but you have to do it from your device you get nada from a PC).

I've tried it with my M3100 and it doesn't seem to work (can't use any data connection) :rolleyes: ...not sure if that's an Orange issue or a device problem. The compatibility page doesn't list the M3100 - it does list some XDAs - and it also states that some carriers don't work.

s

Frustratingly it doesn't work. Just quits when "Loading" following log on.

Guest coercri
Hi All

s

I just tried it with my M3100 and it installed and worked great first time

I just tried it with my M3100 and it installed and worked great first time

Have you installed the midlet addon to provide session based access to the connection?

Just tried it on my other Vario II without the changed midlet manager and same problem. I am putting in my user name as xxxxx NOT [email protected] or [email protected]

Edited by Dr Who

Have you installed the midlet addon to provide session based access to the connection?

Just tried it on my other Vario II without the changed midlet manager and same problem. I am putting in my user name as xxxxx NOT [email protected] or [email protected]

No go for me too. Installs, starts, shows the loading screen then just exits to the desktop.

Very disappointing :rolleyes:

Rob

Tytn

Guest coercri

In case there is more than one way to install Java apps, I will tell you what I did - I've never used Java on this phone before.

I started up the Java app, clicked menu and then Install, then selected Browse.

At this point Internet Explorer starts up and you type in the URL that is given to download the app, the same as the one at the top of this thread.

After a bit, it installs.

I clicked the GMail Icon to run and entered my gmail username (minus the @gmail.com) and password.

It confirms that I will allow it access to the net and it is away.

Guest coercri
I'm using WnW standard -- are they blocking the ports the midlet is using?

See if it works when you have it connected to your computer, so it uses that connection and not your wireless, this should confirm if they are blocking these ports.

In case there is more than one way to install Java apps, I will tell you what I did - I've never used Java on this phone before.

I started up the Java app, clicked menu and then Install, then selected Browse.

At this point Internet Explorer starts up and you type in the URL that is given to download the app, the same as the one at the top of this thread.

After a bit, it installs.

I clicked the GMail Icon to run and entered my gmail username (minus the @gmail.com) and password.

It confirms that I will allow it access to the net and it is away.

Just tried your method coercri and I still have the same problem - it just exits instantly. I also have mgmaps (map24) and opera mini installed.

Ok folks

We dont seem to be getting very far with this. So far I have downloaded and installed another Midlet manager as advised on msmobiles. Installed the app and had it running but it just wont recogise my data connection.

There is an option to select the data connection from the first screen (before running the midlet) and I have tried all the options, including trying via activesync when connected to my PC. Every time I get an error message to check my signal strength as the connection isnt there. Sometimes it tries to connect for 20 - 30 seconds and then times out and offers the chance to use a different connection but the result is always the same.

Anyone got any further?

Rob

Guest Christopher Woods

Just to corroborate other peoples' logs of initial runs - installed on my Vario 2, tried telling the midlet to use The Internet instead of T-Mobile Internet, no dice.

Interesting one, this, because I can connect to Gmail using their custom POP3 and SMTP ports fine when I connect to my account through Pocket Outlook.

We dont seem to be getting very far with this. So far I have downloaded and installed another Midlet manager as advised on msmobiles. Installed the app and had it running but it just wont recogise my data connection.

The midlet manager is at fault then is it? Have you got a link? Seems strange that a couple of people are reporting that it will run with the default manager.

The midlet manager is at fault then is it? Have you got a link? Seems strange that a couple of people are reporting that it will run with the default manager.

Actually, the midlet manager I downloaded was the same as the pre installed Intent version.

And no, I still cant get it to work. The midlet runs ok, I can get to the various different screens to view compose etc, but still no connection.

Im sure its nothing to do with Tmob as I get the same with an activesync connection.

coercri seems to be the only person to have got it working so far..

Rob

FYI, I was able to download and install it without a hassle, started it up, entered my username and password, and it connected straight away. It displayed my inbox ok, the only problem was pretty much any time I used a menu item, it threw an argumentnull exception (or similar).

I'm on Orange.

FYI, I was able to download and install it without a hassle, started it up, entered my username and password, and it connected straight away. It displayed my inbox ok, the only problem was pretty much any time I used a menu item, it threw an argumentnull exception (or similar).

I'm on Orange.

Thats interesting, is there a pattern here that those that can get it to work are on Orange? I cant believe the Tmobile would be blocking the ports, not usually their style to be awkward about that sort of thing.

Cant think of any reason why they would, I can imap and pop to my googlemail account and a pipex account with no problems.

Have those that got it working got a gmail login or a googlemail login? I did read some speculation that this might be the case as technically this is for US / Canada only?

Just a thought

Rob

Tytn on Web 'n Walk

Edited by robt

Guest coercri
Have those that got it working got a gmail login or a googlemail login? I did read some speculation that this might be the case as technically this is for US / Canada only?

Just a thought

Rob

Tytn on Web 'n Walk

Just for the record I'm a @gmail.com person.

Guest Adam Henderson

What's wrong with using the built-in email client on the hermes/Vario II?

The pop server is "pop.gmail.com:995"

The smtp server "smtp.gmail.com:465"

Username xxxx not [email protected]

SSL connnection ticked

Outgoing mail requires authentication ticked

And using t-mobile web 'n' walk at 10 minute polling you get free "push" email (of sorts)

I have the answer!

Just combed the Google groups and here it is . .

Just go to the Googlemail web page, go to your settings and change the language from English UK to English US.

Mine worked immediately I changed it.

So it was a localisation issue after all :) :D

Rob

Nice try, but mine's always been set on English US, and doesn't work.

Not exactly the same problem since my midlet never runs properly but yes, I am set to English (US).