The official UBiQUIO 501 'Ask Paul' thread!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Later this week, I will be posting my review of the UBiQUIO 501 Pocket PC. :D

In advance of this, this thread is an opportunity for you to ask me anything at all about the device, and i'll try and answer it!

Packing a 2.5" QVGA landscape touchscreen, WiFi, QWERTY thumboard and a 2 megapixel camera into it's 13.5mm thick body... will the device, manufactured by TechFaithWireless, follow in the footsteps of it's i-mate SPL sibling with a positive review?

Stay tuned to find out :)

P

ubiquio501.jpg

Guest richard_d
2G triband i'm afraid.

P

Oh well, that's another one ruled out (not that I'm unhappy with my current phone :) ). Now take the screen from this one, and add it to the new Loox and I might start getting envious...

How's it compare to the Loox in height and width?

Guest Urban Strata

Can you please post a photo of the stylus?

Also, I've noticed the actual experience of 2G, 2.5G or 3G networks can vary greatly depending on the device's processor and how quickly it renders Web pages. My Universal, for example, renders Web pages over GPRS just as fast as my Prophet renders pages over EDGE. So my question is: How fast does the 2G "feel" on the UBiQUiO 501? -- Is it a "slow GPRS" or a "fast GPRS" (if that makes any sense at all!). :)

It's a 200 MHz OMAP 850.

It's bigger than the excalibur (and feels it), and feels quite different to hold.

P

phew! Just got a dash yesterday and if that PPC turned out to be a similar size with better proc I'd have been kickin' myself (and listing the dash on ebay :)

thanks for the info!

Guest rkrishnamurthy

How is the phone voice clarity? why i am asking this is, i bought the very first batch of O2 XDA Atom manufactured by quanta and i was very disappointed with its voice quality. constantly troubled with my own voice echo and very very low ear piece volume. i really don't want to suffer the same with this new manufacturer.

thanks

Krishna

Hi Paul, if possible would you be abe to show photo comparisons with this device and an Excalibur? Also do you happen to know if i-mate might possibly make an 850 version just like they did with the Magician (JAM)?Appreciate the time, thanks.

Regards....... :)

Edited by kwues

This isn't an imate device tho.

I know, but from the news around the web, i-mate is releasing this same device called "JAQ 3" and I believe someone mentioned that i-mate might make an 850 version, any truth to it, only time will tell, but I just was curious to know if anyone or Paul might have some sort of inside scoop to re-assure people who might be on the fence on deciding to purchase this device based on whether it has an 850 band.... :)

Edited by kwues

Guest Paul (MVP)

Sure, i'll take some comparison shots.

I don't have any word on whether the JAQ3 will be 850 compatible specifically, but given that this device - like the SPL - is expected to target both Europe and the americas, it seems quite likely.

P

Sure, i'll take some comparison shots.

I don't have any word on whether the JAQ3 will be 850 compatible specifically, but given that this device - like the SPL - is expected to target both Europe and the americas, it seems quite likely.

P

Paul, thanks, can't wait for the photos :D Basically I just need to get a feel of what the size of the device is, I mean is it as wide as the HP 6900 series? I use a Wizard(Qtek 9100) and Excalibur(S620) and I still can't figure out how big/small the device is..... :) By the way, any idea/hunch when i-mate is going to release this device?

thanks,

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.