Installing to device or to storage card

Guest louisw

I am installing programs on my Vario II. What programs can go on the storage card vs. what needs to be in device memory? Is there a hard rule of thumb?

SPB software?

PIE Plus?

Opera?

Skype?

etc

I am installing programs on my Vario II. What programs can go on the storage card vs. what needs to be in device memory? Is there a hard rule of thumb?

SPB software?

PIE Plus?

Opera?

Skype?

etc

I think SPB Pocket plus prefers to be stored on the internal memory, but I have everything else that you've mentioned on my MicroSD. The only other thing I've put on my internal memory is TomTom6 as this seems to run a little slow from the MicroSD.

Guest richard_d
I think SPB Pocket plus prefers to be stored on the internal memory, but I have everything else that you've mentioned on my MicroSD. The only other thing I've put on my internal memory is TomTom6 as this seems to run a little slow from the MicroSD.

Anything on the today screen is best installed to the device (or extended rom if you open that up).

@Richard

What is the extended ROM, and how do you open it up?

Thank you!

Its 10M of locked special "system" memory on the device used to hold carrier specific customisations (eg what makes a T mobile phone look like a T mobile etc)

If your brave enough you can unlock it and unhide it and use some of it to store applications.

Use the THIS LINK to install a very useful application that will enable Extended ROM and much more!

I would also recommend the search function of the foum to discover more.

Edited by BenPye

Guest richard_d
Its 10M of locked special "system" memory on the device used to hold carrier specific customisations (eg what makes a T mobile phone look like a T mobile etc)

If your brave enough you can unlock it and unhide it and use some of it to store applications.

Use the THIS LINK to install a very useful application that will enable Extended ROM and much more!

I would also recommend the search function of the foum to discover more.

There's also an unlock cab in Paul's free software thread. I wouldn't advise playing with the existing contents but just unlocking and using the extra storage is fairly safe.