MDA Vario II Questions

Guest Ramsfan_Jim

Guest Ramsfan_Jim

New user - having just purchased a T-Mobile MDA Vario II (& 2Gb Micro SD card) last week. I've been generally VERY impressed with the device, but having read through the manual, I've got a few questions if anyone can help:-

- Is there any way of using 'cut & paste' within an application or between different applications?

- Is there any way of synchronising files held on the storage card with the home PC? (I can't find a way of changing the settings in Active Sync)

- Is there any way of setting up Outlook on the Vario II to send / receive from multiple accounts (and then synchronising with the PC)? I currently have it set up with 5 different email addresses but the synchronisation puts everything in a generic 'outlook' directory.

- Is it possible to move all applications / files etc. onto the Storage card to utilise the increased memory capacity?

- Has anyone managed to remotely access 'sky.com' email addresses via a mobile device? (I've managed to get another email provider to work, but Sky claim they do not support Windows Mobile. I'm guessing this must be to do with sky not speaking to the t-mobile network?)

Any help appreciated.

Jim.

Edited by Ramsfan_Jim

Guest richard_d
New user - having just purchased a T-Mobile MDA Vario II (& 2Gb Micro SD card) last week. I've been generally VERY impressed with the device, but having read through the manual, I've got a few questions if anyone can help:-

- Is there any way of using 'cut & paste' within an application or between different applications?

Highlight text and hold down the stylus/grubby finger and a menu should pop up with a copy option. When you want to paste, hold the stylus down in the blank area and another menu pops up. Works fine in Outlook, Word etc.

- Is there any way of synchronising files held on the storage card with the home PC? (I can't find a way of changing the settings in Active Sync)

Not that I know of, and copying large files off the storage card is quicker using a card reader.

- Is there any way of setting up Outlook on the Vario II to send / receive from multiple accounts (and then synchronising with the PC)? I currently have it set up with 5 different email addresses but the synchronisation puts everything in a generic 'outlook' directory.

Sorry - don't know I use Pop3 forwarding to get everything in one account.

- Is it possible to move all applications / files etc. onto the Storage card to utilise the increased memory capacity?

You can certainly install new applications to the storage card (although I wouldn't advise doing this with Today Plug-ins). I don't think you can move pre-installed apps. If you want extra memory on the device for installing, you can open up the extended rom (see Paul's Free software thread in the Hermes section) and set your internet files to save to storage card (same thread).

- Has anyone managed to remotely access 'sky.com' email addresses via a mobile device? (I've managed to get another email provider to work, but Sky claim they do not support Windows Mobile. I'm guessing this must be to do with sky not speaking to the t-mobile network?)

Sorry - not a clue.

Any help appreciated.

Jim.

Guest Confucious

Copy & paste - as above

Multiple email accounts - not as standard, flexmail allows it for about $20

Applications etc on storage card - as above

Sky mail should work pop.sky.com incoming and t-mobs smtp server for outgoing should work fine - what problem are you having?

Guest Ramsfan_Jim
Copy & paste - as above

Multiple email accounts - not as standard, flexmail allows it for about $20

Applications etc on storage card - as above

Sky mail should work pop.sky.com incoming and t-mobs smtp server for outgoing should work fine - what problem are you having?

Cheers - Got Cut & Paste working fine. I've received similar responses from the T-Mobile IT Support.

Sky mail - I can connect & send and receive through my home Wi-Fi connection (via a sky broadband modem), so I'm confident the passwords etc are correct. However I cannot send or receive mail via T-Mobile network (when I'm out).

I have changed the Outgoing to smtp.T-email.co.uk but still have the problem.

I get "Messages cannot be downloaded to your mobile device. Make sure that you are connected and that your email account settings are correct. Then try to download messages again."

Meanwhile I CAN send & receive from another email account (non Sky).

T-Mobile have said the problem is not at their end, as my other email works OK, while Sky say they 'do not support Windows mobile operating system' (which I still fail to see the relevance of the operating system).

Any advice or suggestions appreciated.

Jim.

Guest phattmatt
Sky mail - I can connect & send and receive through my home Wi-Fi connection (via a sky broadband modem), so I'm confident the passwords etc are correct. However I cannot send or receive mail via T-Mobile network (when I'm out).

I have changed the Outgoing to smtp.T-email.co.uk but still have the problem.

I get "Messages cannot be downloaded to your mobile device. Make sure that you are connected and that your email account settings are correct. Then try to download messages again."

Meanwhile I CAN send & receive from another email account (non Sky).

T-Mobile have said the problem is not at their end, as my other email works OK, while Sky say they 'do not support Windows mobile operating system' (which I still fail to see the relevance of the operating system).

Any advice or suggestions appreciated.

Jim.

When ping/tracerouting to pop.sky.com from my work internet connection I'm getting a "Destination net unreachable".

This would explain why you can't connection via your mobile.

This could either be:

A configuration error on one of Sky's routers, in which case they will fix it at some point.

Or

By design, to prevent users from connecting to the mail servers from outside the Sky network.

The router in question is "ge0-1-0-0.ar13.bllon.uk.easynet.net" (Sky purchased Easynet this year).

I've not got a Sky e-mail account or a broadband connection, so I can't really check any further.

Matt.