Static IP on wifi network?

Guest kev51773

Guest kev51773

Okay, Im reasonably new to the whole wifi thing, and Ive just received my Vario II.

I may be wrong buy it seems that theres no way to specify a static IP !

If thats the case then I cant connect to any network unless they have a DHCP server running.

Is there any way around this problem? if not Im gonna return it to T-Mobile before my 'cooling off period' is over.

Guest Samsonite
Okay, Im reasonably new to the whole wifi thing, and Ive just received my Vario II.

If thats the case then I cant connect to any network unless they have a DHCP server running.

Is there any way around this problem? if not Im gonna return it to T-Mobile before my 'cooling off period' is over.

do you have a specific reason for using a static IP?

most, if not all, routers will have DHCP so out and about internet is available to all..

do you have a specific reason for using a static IP?

most, if not all, routers will have DHCP so out and about internet is available to all..

Agreed.

DHCP is common place these days, so using a static IP may screw things up when attempting to connect to random Wi-Fi hotspots... for example, if your static IP is in the range of 192.168.50.1 (or whatever), the AP you are connecting to may be using a completely different rage..!

Guest Sadlybrokeboy

Kev,

have a look here :

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry771680

Admittedly this is for the M3100 & and orange Livebox - but it shouldn't be too different for tyour Vario :)

Also Samson - there are often valid reasons for using static IP's - especially as DHCP on home wireless routers etc. isn't always that reliable :D

Hope that helps!

Matt

Guest Samsonite
Also Samson - there are often valid reasons for using static IP's - especially as DHCP on home wireless routers etc. isn't always that reliable :)

Hope that helps!

Matt

i understand that having a static IP within the correct range means that you wont have to renew after any kind of lease expiry etc, but in most cases a dynamic setup shouldnt cause any problems... In my experience, its not so much the DHCP server that is the weak link, its the client that hangs things up!! and having a static IP means that the client would be unable to make another link.. If the router has stale connections but still has a number of IP addresses in its pool, another connection is still available if DHCP is being used.

and if the Hermes wont let you set one up anyway..... i wouldnt junk it simply cos of that

Looking at Hitchhiker it shows on the website that you can enter your own IP settings. I've not tried it myself, but it might be worth you having a look.

Cheers

Lee

Guest Sadlybrokeboy
i understand that having a static IP within the correct range means that you wont have to renew after any kind of lease expiry etc, but in most cases a dynamic setup shouldnt cause any problems... In my experience, its not so much the DHCP server that is the weak link, its the client that hangs things up!! and having a static IP means that the client would be unable to make another link.. If the router has stale connections but still has a number of IP addresses in its pool, another connection is still available if DHCP is being used.

and if the Hermes wont let you set one up anyway..... i wouldnt junk it simply cos of that

Samsonite - I know what you're saying and agree to an extent :)

But there are issues with some encryption algorithms (WPA/PSK as used on Orange Liveboxes for a start) as that post I mentioned raises, the problem seems be with the hex IP address confusing the Hermes/Vario/M3100 and this stops them connecting.

The hermes WILL let you set one up, and fairly easily (fortunately for me) - but yes as you correctly say - it will screw up any hotspot surfing or anything like that - but at least you can undo/redo the settings so that Server Assigned IP Addressing can be used if required.

Matt

Guest Samsonite
...there are issues with some encryption algorithms (WPA/PSK as used on Orange Liveboxes for a start) as that post I mentioned raises, the problem seems be with the hex IP address confusing the Hermes/Vario/M3100 and this stops them connecting.

Matt

just read thru the linked post... uuurgh!!! Hex IP addresses!!!! In my WiFi travellings, its really frustrating when manufacturers make things unnecessarily differnt...

kev51773

Are you sorted now? have you decided to keep your VarioII?

Guest kev51773

Thanks for the replies guys.

Sorry for the late reply, Ive been ill lately.

The whole 'dhcp vs static' argument is kind of pointless in my case, I join a lot of different networks, and in many cases dhcp simply isnt appropriate.

Basically I did find that I could configure a static IP by configuring the wifi device. Its a bit painful to change between networks as I have to manually change the settings every time, and theres no concept of 'profiles'.

I guess those static IP settings are stored in the registry somewhere, In which case I ought to be able to throw together a piece of software to change between different network config's pretty easily.

Thanks for the help.