MDA Compact III now available from T-Mobile UK

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest BrownSource
i got the mda compact 3. and it was a free upgrade

Hope they give me a free upgrade - have u got urs yet or is it on order? if you have it, we'll b able to tell if wifi is present / disabled or not and whether UK maps are included or do u need to DL etc

As a frequent driver i'm very keen to know how gud the speaker quality is, and whether TT6 works well with calls - my MDA3 with TT5 is so buggy on calls that I take the SIM out when navigating, and use the MDA as a stand alone navigation device.

Guest welshmikie
Hope they give me a free upgrade - have u got urs yet or is it on order? if you have it, we'll b able to tell if wifi is present / disabled or not and whether UK maps are included or do u need to DL etc

As a frequent driver i'm very keen to know how gud the speaker quality is, and whether TT6 works well with calls - my MDA3 with TT5 is so buggy on calls that I take the SIM out when navigating, and use the MDA as a stand alone navigation device.

ye the wifi is on there but when tmobile customise the windows software they take off the options to turn it on. Tomtom issue has been raised with marketing as tmbile hav a exclusive contract with co pilot as u know. i got a full version off tomtom 6 and it works very well

Guest FragMeister
Hi Paul,

Although there is no mention of Wi-Fi on the 'Specification' page, it says on the 'Overview' it is included -

"Keeping up with your emails is simple and you can surf the internet with web‘n’walk. It has 128 MB of internal memory and a microSD card slot for expansion, plus a two mega-pixel digital camera with zoom, flash LED and video capture, an MP3 player, FM radio, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and USB cable connectivity."

Or have I missed something (again)? :)

Maybe this is the reason it was taken off the t-mobile website as it is back there now but with different wording - now with NO mention of Wi-Fi!

Keeping up with your emails is simple and you can surf the internet with web'n'walk. It has 128MB of internal memory and a microSD card slot for expansion, plus a two mega-pixel digital camera with digital zoom and video capture, Windows Media player, FM radio, Bluetooth and USB cable connectivity.

The plot thickens!!

Guest Glostoman

Mine's just arrived.

No Wi-fi. Worse still no TomTom, no Co-Pilot, no anything in fact (no SD card either). I've just rung t-mobile who don't seem to know anything about it - the tech guy said it's odd TomTom was advertised as they have a deal with Co-Pilot. He does agree though that a GPS without any kind of software is a little odd.

Anyway, they're supposed to be calling me back. One not very happy camper at the moment.

Guest coolcatshaft
Maybe this is the reason it was taken off the t-mobile website as it is back there now but with different wording - now with NO mention of Wi-Fi!

The plot thickens!!

I can find no sign of it on the t-mobile website, is it back on? if so where?

Guest richard_d
Mine's just arrived.

No Wi-fi. Worse still no TomTom, no Co-Pilot, no anything in fact (no SD card either). I've just rung t-mobile who don't seem to know anything about it - the tech guy said it's odd TomTom was advertised as they have a deal with Co-Pilot. He does agree though that a GPS without any kind of software is a little odd.

Anyway, they're supposed to be calling me back. One not very happy camper at the moment.

Is the GPS actually enabled - I was led to believe it wasn't by shop staff.

Guest Glostoman

Well technical support have called back to let me know that no GPS software is included with the MDA Compact III. He seemed as surprised as I was. As well as being miss-advertised it just seems crazy to include the hardware but no software.

I've sent a miffed email to T-Mobile complaints to say that I've been miss-sold the device and to ask them if they'll send GPS software, otherwise I'll return the device.

Quick GPS is on the programmes list and the device has GPS written on the back of the case so I presume the hardware is activated.

To say I'm annoyed about this is an understatment, if this is what t-mobile are like I'm going straight back to Orange.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Bummer, postie has been, no sign of my unit. :)

That's despite the mail from T-Mo saying it would be here by 1pm today.

It could still arrive I suppose, but these things generally come with the regular post!

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

Glostoman... the description says (now at least) The MDA Compact III is a fantastic all-rounder. It's a dedicated navigation PDA with GPS receiver built in for you to add your own Satellite navigation software.

They're basically selling you the device ready to add TomTom / CoPilot / [plug]CamerAware[/plug] :)

P

Guest coolcatshaft
Glostoman... the description says (now at least) The MDA Compact III is a fantastic all-rounder. It's a dedicated navigation PDA with GPS receiver built in for you to add your own Satellite navigation software.

They're basically selling you the device ready to add TomTom / CoPilot / [plug]CamerAware[/plug] :)

P

Paul do you have a direct link to his page? i still can't find it

scratch that, just found it.

Edited by coolcatshaft

Guest Glostoman

So it does :) That stinks, it's not on that they sell you one thing then just say 'opps, sorry we've messed up/ changed our minds'. Not to mention being odd - why go for this when you can have a MDA Compact II with Co-Pilot for less money.

Anyway, it's going back unless they cough up a TomTom or Co-Pilot card. This has totally messed up my morning, I'm off to sulk.... possibly in the pub (hmmm, can I post a sound effect of a slamming door and a bit of stomping).

Guest Paul (MVP)

This device is still leagues ahead of a MDA Compact II TBH.

Integrated GPS, AKU3, additional hardware buttons, maybe WiFi if we can hack it back in...

I don't fancy your chances of getting them to spring for a sat nav app, but hey, they're not that expensive anyway software only.

Question is, GPS application aside, do you like the phone? :)

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

It's all about cost I would assume.

The MDACIII is cheap, I wouldn't be surprised to see a more expensive copilot bundle (as with other handsets) in the future tho?

P

Guest coolcatshaft

I've just thrown caution to the wind and bought one on flext35, should be here tomorrow by royal mail special delivery. it would be nice if we could hack the wifi back in, but to be honest my current (soon to be relegated to the wife) JAMin has wifi and i've used it 3 times in the last year!!! by contrast, the number of times i've found myself in the car needing tomtom and finding i've left the receiver in my other car or in my bike jacket pocket is much higher.

Paul, have you got yours yet?

Edited by coolcatshaft

Guest stephenjfa

I've been watching T-Mobile's site to see what smartphone they were going to release next (I was hoping it might be the JAMin equivalent) and have just seen the MDA-C III, which looks pretty good too... BUT.... what's the deal with disabling the WiFi? If it's only a software switch, it can't be to save them money. Why would they do it?

Guest Paul (MVP)

Just spoken to T-Mo, my MDACIII got held up due to a problem at a Royal Mail warehouse.

However it WILL be here tomorrow, and they refunded the delivery charge as compensation.

yay!

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

Another update... i've just spoken to a contact at T-Mobile who confirmed they will shortly be adding a CoPilot bundle to the site, available seperately from the base handset (as with other devices).

Price difference is likely to be at least £100 more expensive than the base, probably around £120 more.

P

Guest welshmikie
Another update... i've just spoken to a contact at T-Mobile who confirmed they will shortly be adding a CoPilot bundle to the site, available seperately from the base handset (as with other devices).

Price difference is likely to be at least £100 more expensive than the base, probably around £120 more.

P

hi paul ye they will sell co pilot as a seperate bundle for £134.99. Do you think ul be able to crack the wifi issue? looked in the settings n theres a file saying remove wifi. like i said before if u can and u share the information how to do it. then i can make it worth ur while

Guest Prosody

Is there anyone with this device out there that can answer wether the GPS hardware is or isn't enabled. I was in the shop just asking about this and they said that no it wasn't enabled and you had to buy the co-pilot with a little GPS unit to use GPS on it. :/

Guest BrownSource
I've been watching T-Mobile's site to see what smartphone they were going to release next (I was hoping it might be the JAMin equivalent) and have just seen the MDA-C III, which looks pretty good too... BUT.... what's the deal with disabling the WiFi? If it's only a software switch, it can't be to save them money. Why would they do it?

I think they want more take-up of their web n walk - as more n more ppl have routers and can choose any companies hotspots wen out n abt they wud never make any money poor things. This is also their approach for T-Mobile in Germany.

Funny thing is that unlimited web for £7.50 is gr8 - just dont treat us like kids and say u can't have wifi as well.

Was quoted £40 for upgrade today - tough call whether to take it, or m3100 (Vario 2) off orange for free on only a 12mth contract at £35pm

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.