First things first

Guest FlexiPack

Guest FlexiPack

I am (fingers crossed) getting my new Vario II tomorrow. This is my first PDA and I've never used WM5 before but I am an experienced Windows XP user. I'm trying to learn as fast as I can (this is an excellent forum!).

Is there any threads or sites that deal with beginners? WM5 guides? Also specifically with the Vario II is there any vital fixes to apply or vital software that I need. I'm ploughing through this site, the wiki at xda developers as well as the forum there but some information is quite scattered and there's so much that I'm not sure where to start. So if there's any essentials i'd appreciate your input and i'll start there.

I'm not expecting any one to do the work for me, i'll hunt down the relevant info once i know what to look for :)

Flex

Edited by FlexiPack

Guest richard_d
Glad to see you took my advice :)

Don't know about beginners threads per se, but we'll all be happy to assist with any questions you have :D

P

After setting uup contacts then if you use email setting that up first is a good step. Then the I'd advise installing back up software before anything else (I like SPB backup but there are others). After that play a lot before seeing what else you feel the need for and having a browse through the essential software threads.

Guest FlexiPack

Thanks guys,

It came this morning. I noticed in the manual it's say it comes partially charged so I switched it on to have a quick look. I'm wondering if I actually need to charge it right now as it's been on an hour and is still showing 100% battery.

What's your thoughts on that? When I do charge I was intending on doing 16hrs for the initial charge as per always with mobile devices. Did you guys do the same?

Unfortunately I've no 3G signal, only 2bars on GPRS but i kind of expected that where I live - in the sticks a bit here.

It looks so swanky doesn't it! :)

Guest richard_d
Thanks guys,

It came this morning. I noticed in the manual it's say it comes partially charged so I switched it on to have a quick look. I'm wondering if I actually need to charge it right now as it's been on an hour and is still showing 100% battery.

What's your thoughts on that? When I do charge I was intending on doing 16hrs for the initial charge as per always with mobile devices. Did you guys do the same?

Unfortunately I've no 3G signal, only 2bars on GPRS but i kind of expected that where I live - in the sticks a bit here.

It looks so swanky doesn't it! :)

I only gave mine fours initial charge and it hasn't caused me any problems - batteries are a lot bteer these days days in terms of conditioning.

Guest Christopher Woods
I only gave mine fours initial charge and it hasn't caused me any problems - batteries are a lot bteer these days days in terms of conditioning.

I think the most important thing to remember is not to go totally mad and bog the device down with tons of apps - I did that when I got my XDA 2i late in 2004, and I certainly paid for it. Gave up in the end when I just had so many unsolvable problems (laggy / cutting out ringtones, so many lockups and freezes it was just ridiculous) I ended up hard resetting and starting from scratch.

I guess my only solid rules are:

ActiveSync daily if possible.

Don't install SPB products, they kill devices (and you're looking at a man who PAID for two SPB apps, Pocket Plus and Full Screen Keyboard (the only one I kept on using, and still use intermittently even with a hardware keyboard)... Other apps really seem to cause issues too, so it might be prudent to do a registry backup before you go installing a fairly major bit of software. Don't go nuts and add everything at once unless you're absolutely sure it won't have any adverse affects when mixed with everything you already have installed, you can really screw yourself then.

Get a MicroSD card! Put ALL your stuff (including installed apps) onto there, I always install apps onto the card as the Hermes seems to have a lot less onboard storage than the Alpine :)

Erm... Don't hold the phone in your teeth if you have your hands full with shopping bags and you're trying to open your front door with your only free hand, I have little bite marks on my WnW key now.

Guest richard_d
I think the most important thing to remember is not to go totally mad and bog the device down with tons of apps - I did that when I got my XDA 2i late in 2004, and I certainly paid for it. Gave up in the end when I just had so many unsolvable problems (laggy / cutting out ringtones, so many lockups and freezes it was just ridiculous) I ended up hard resetting and starting from scratch.

I guess my only solid rules are:

ActiveSync daily if possible.

Don't install SPB products, they kill devices (and you're looking at a man who PAID for two SPB apps, Pocket Plus and Full Screen Keyboard (the only one I kept on using, and still use intermittently even with a hardware keyboard)... Other apps really seem to cause issues too, so it might be prudent to do a registry backup before you go installing a fairly major bit of software. Don't go nuts and add everything at once unless you're absolutely sure it won't have any adverse affects when mixed with everything you already have installed, you can really screw yourself then.

Get a MicroSD card! Put ALL your stuff (including installed apps) onto there, I always install apps onto the card as the Hermes seems to have a lot less onboard storage than the Alpine :)

Erm... Don't hold the phone in your teeth if you have your hands full with shopping bags and you're trying to open your front door with your only free hand, I have little bite marks on my WnW key now.

Personally I use several SPB programs without problems...

With regard to installing on the card - yes unless they are today screen plugins.

Guest FlexiPack

Cheers guys,

Following your advice I will take care when installing apps. So far I still getting to grips with the preinstalled software and haven't needed any extras yet but i no doubt will soon. I've got myself a nice 1gb micro sd (only £18!), hope i dont regret not getting a 2gb.

Probably the best tip of all :)

Guest phone user
Cheers guys,

Following your advice I will take care when installing apps. So far I still getting to grips with the preinstalled software and haven't needed any extras yet but i no doubt will soon. I've got myself a nice 1gb micro sd (only £18!), hope i dont regret not getting a 2gb.

Probably the best tip of all :)

FlexiPack, can you please tell me where did u get this micro sd card. I am trying it all over the place and can't seem to get hold of one.