Changing Vario II Extrom

Guest kOna

Hi,

I am trying to load up a new ExtRom to my Vario II but it keeps on reverting back to the T-Mobile settings as soon as I do a hard reset, here is what I am doing;

1) Unlocking the Extrom folder

2) Cut+Paste old Extrom data into a folder on my storage card

3) Paste in new Extrom data (I am trying to use the latest Extrom from the stock HTC model, I downloaded this from the XDA Developers website)

4) Hard - reset.

When I have done a hard reset it starts to run t-mobile.tsk and all of its original settings again! I really dont like the T-Mobile dialer skin and dont want their customisation bits'n'bobs.

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers,

Craig

Guest jimbouk

I am not an expert on flashing different roms...but if you soft reset after the device restarts and before it starts running the T customisation, it should work.

Guest cjgarside

Hello,

AFAIK its not that your doing anything wrong. The T-Mobile customization appears to be in 2 procedures, the second being the extended_ROM. The first procedure is run immediately after screen alignment has been completed and then this procedure calls the extended_ROM.

The first procedure is run via the PreConfig.txt file in the Windows folder and consists of (as per my MDA Vario II, serial starting 642):

+ Windwos\cusTSK.exe.

+ Windows\T-Mobile.tsk.

+ Windows\SetHSDPA.exe.

+ Windows\MMS_APCSP_20060425.CAB.

+ Windows\MP_CVSDcpl_20060523-02.cab.

+ Windows\MP_DRMfilesave_WWE_TMO_060505.CAB.

+ Windows\MP_EmailWizDB_PPC_TMOUK_060216.CAB.

+ Windows\MP_MMS3.2_TMUK_Hermes_060609.CAB.

+ Windows\PP_CommMgrCustomize.CAB.

+ Windows\PP_Fix_Customization_issue.CAB.

+ Windows\PP_Remove_UMTS_Only_(Network_Band).CAB.

+ Windows\P_TMO_WIFI_SSID_UNI.CAB.

+ Windows\Signed_DiscoButton8.sa.CAB.

+ Windows\PP_BeepMode_longtones.xml.

+Windows\PP_Connection.xml.

+ Windows\PP_EnableDTMFSupport-1.xml.

+ Windows\PP_GPRS_CSD_TYPE.xml.

+ Windows\PP_ONS-SPN.xml.

+ Windows\PP_Other_Conn.xml.

+ Windows\PP_Regional.xml.

+ Windows\PP_RingTone.xml.

+ Windows\PP_ShowPIN2Page.xml.

+ Windows\PP_ClockAlwaysOnTop.xml.

+ Windows\PP_WMODEM_Registry_key.xml.

The Extended_ROM is then run:

+ MP-Hermes-Camera-patch-060613.CAB.

+ MT_Account-MMS.CAB.

+ MT_PC_Hermes_TMO_REG_060612.CAB.

+ P_rilgsm_patch.CAB.

+ Patch_RTPlugInEx2.CAB.

+ PP_pIESetting_TMUK_050906.CAB.

+ ST_Her_BT_Fir_Param612.CAB.

I not technically proficient enough to understand or know what all of the above customisations do but I could probable hazard a guess at some of them.

I'm guessing that if you amend the PreConfig.txt file located in Windows to remove all the stuff you don't want, build the Extended_ROM to your liking and then do a hard reset it will only run the stuff that you've left in it.

Alternatively you could just soft rest just after screen alignment has been completed and use a registry editor to access your doctored Extended_ROM and install then manually plus any of the stuff used in the first procedure.

Obviously I'd backup the PreConfig.txt file first, just in case.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Chris

Thanks for all your help :) I sent my Vario II off for repair yesterday evening (Screen alignment issue and it hard-reset itself twice without me touching anything) so as soon as I get it back I will try this method. I am also quite tempted to load the latest Cingular/HTC Rom onto it, has anyone done this ?

Cheers,

Craig