HTC Hermes A2DP

Guest The Doctor

Guest The Doctor

Ok, so i got my Vario II friday, so far its been great apart from from one thing....

A2DP is WORSE than the unofficial A2DP on my 8310!

For instance I am now sitting at my Mac on my desk and it's skipping every 5-10 seconds! Its ridiculous! For those of you interested I am using the Sonorix OBH0110 (same as those Anycoms Disco Stu and mini_man have)

I've just tried the UseJointStereo=0 (HKLM>SOFTWARE>Microsoft>Bluetooth>A2DP>Settings>UseJointStereo=0) tweak and its made it ever so slighly better.

Would like to hear others experiences of A2DP on the Hermes and how they have managed to somehow improve it....

And now my Vario II has just completely dropped the stereo headset connection and is playing through the loudspeaker.... great... (no joke, it just happened :))

Phil

[EDIT: I've actually CONSIDERED using the wired headphones that come with it :D]

Edited by The Doctor

Guest The Doctor

Update: Dropouts are greatly reduced by deleting the following keys:

HKLM>SOFTWARE>Microsoft>Bluetooth>A2DP>Devices>2

HKLM>SOFTWARE>Microsoft>Bluetooth>A2DP>Devices>3

HKLM>SOFTWARE>Microsoft>Bluetooth>A2DP>Devices>4

These are empty devices and serve no real purpose but deleting them has seem to reduce the num,ber of dropouts! :)

Phil

[EDIT: Or you can change the values of the above keys to match the values in the key HKLM>SOFTWARE>Microsoft>Bluetooth>A2DP>Devices>1 (invented and tested by mini_man) which seems to work even better :D]

Edited by The Doctor

Another Update: WMP will play ACC files encoded via iTunes through the loudspeaker and NOT through the stereo headset :)

Phil

This is because, I believe, AAC is only supported via hardware decoding which can ONLY output through the loudspeaker. I may not be describing it quite correctly but it was identified on XDA some time ago.

What bit rate and what file types are you using? WMP has to decode and A2DP recode the file, so anything you can do to ease the strain will help. I would guess WMA's will perform the best, preferably with something like 128kbps or vbr encoding.

Guest The Doctor
This is because, I believe, AAC is only supported via hardware decoding which can ONLY output through the loudspeaker. I may not be describing it quite correctly but it was identified on XDA some time ago.

What bit rate and what file types are you using? WMP has to decode and A2DP recode the file, so anything you can do to ease the strain will help. I would guess WMA's will perform the best, preferably with something like 128kbps or vbr encoding.

Hadn't occoured to me that it'b be a hardware related issue (AAC's are fine on my Qtek 8310 via A2DP) :) I'll try pocket player or core player and see if that yeilds the same results.

Most of my songs are in 128/192kbps MP3 format but a few are in AAC (thanks to itunes <_< ). I'll try re-encoding the lot to 128kbps MP3 format and see if that helps... I prefer the MP3 format to WMA as i can share the files between the few non-Windows mobile devices i possess.

Phil

Edited by The Doctor

I always encode in VBR as I assume that any of my digital media could be streamed at anypoint and in my experience VBR always performs better in a streaming environment than CBR.

Still haven't got round trying those other tweaks yet, I turn up at the office and people keep expecting me to work, how very dare they :)

Edited by Rob.P

Guest The Doctor
Hadn't occoured to me that it'b be a hardware related issue (AAC's are fine on my Qtek 8310 via A2DP) :) I'll try pocket player or core player and see if that yeilds the same results.

Ok pocket player plays them through the loudspeaker as well so it probably is a hardware related issue. Dropouts seem to be slightly reduced with pocket player (40 seconds til first dropout).

Tweaks mentioned above make A2DP music bearable but I'm still not happy with the state of it atm <_<

Phil

Actually I recall it also strongly depends on the headphones. People were finding headsets that were BT2.0 were much, much better than version 1.x BT headphones.

Checking here (http://www.assisttechnology.co.uk/documents/Sonorix_Bluetooth_Headset-Pamphlet.pdf) I notice yours are v1.2, which may be the problem

Edited by Dr Who

Guest The Doctor
Actually I recall it also strongly depends on the headphones. People were finding headsets that were BT2.0 were much, much better than version 1.x BT headphones.

Checking here (http://www.assisttechnology.co.uk/documents/Sonorix_Bluetooth_Headset-Pamphlet.pdf) I notice yours are v1.2, which may be the problem

But the fact still remains.... it should work, but it doesn't :D

[EDIT: And it DID work on my 8310 almost perfectly]

I thought the Hermes was only Bluetooth 1.2 anyway? :)

Phil

Edited by The Doctor

Guest The Doctor

Hmmmm..... i'll see if I can borrow bt headphones with v2 and see how they compare with my v1.2's

also I think an enquiry to htc and tmob is in order about the a2dp issues as well as aku3 for the hermes

as good as the device is, this is starting to get to me.

Phil

Hmmmm..... i'll see if I can borrow bt headphones with v2 and see how they compare with my v1.2's

Be interested to see your results on this - might inform my Crimble list.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nrj1999

I was having the same problems described by The Doctor, i.e. music dropping out every few seconds while playing over a bluetooth stereo headset (BT Jabra 620s) and tried the same tweaks as mentioned above without seeing a real improvement.

I then tried the registry tweak described in this post:

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=762495

and all is well. I have just listened to an entire two tracks without a single skip. Kudos to jimbouk as he definitely solved it for me.