MDA Compact III WiFi

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest wimpydragon

Boo to T-Mobile is all I can say. Strangely enough I wrote to T-Mobile about this phone earlier this week - I found out about the (fully functional) phone on Tuesday then saw it on T-Mobile on Wednesday so wrote to them to find out more. I asked them specifially about the removal of the wifi and 3G (why both? One or the other would've been fine but both's a kick in the jools).

This was their reply:

The MDA Compact III was released at a reduced functionality so we can differentiate it from the more expensive MDA Vario II.

We also have no plans to change the functionality and the software. I do realise this may be disappointing for you.

So essentially they're simply saying that they've killed functionality to make the Vario II look like it's not overpriced. Arse.

I was hoping that this was simple case of a software hack but this thread's all but killed any hope of that :-(

Guest Paul (MVP)

They didn't remove 3G, the reference design never had it... they've just removed WiFi.

I won't give up hope 100% until someone cracks one open, but it doesn't look good :)

P

Guest welshmikie
They didn't remove 3G, the reference design never had it... they've just removed WiFi.

I won't give up hope 100% until someone cracks one open, but it doesn't look good :)

P

hi paul. spoke to the head of tmobile call centres in the uk yesterday and I brought up this topic. explained tmobile austria release the compact3 with wifi but not tmobile uk. he is going to find out more for me and get in touch with marketiing.

Guest mikealder

The staff at the local T-Mobile shop informed me it had WiFi built in :) , you can imagine what came next as the fully functional unit was taken out to prove the capability - still for the price its a bargain if you can live without the WiFi, the GPRS speed isn't too hot though. - Mike

Guest Paul (MVP)

Been there, done that cactusbob... doesn't work!

P

Can anyone with a HTC Artemis with the Wifi Enabled send me a copy of the registry? Specifically I need HKLM\Comm\TNETWLN1 and everything below it.

Guest kurtfhouse
In a worst case scenario if it has been harware disabled would THIS microSDIO WiFi 11g Card work as a replacement?

I haven't checked under the sim, but assuming that it will fit (its slightly longer than a normal MicroSD) it should work.

The problem is its got no built in memory so you wouldn't be able to use your GPS software etc.. without having to swap back and forth between cards which is a right pain on this handset.

Guest cactusbob
I haven't checked under the sim, but assuming that it will fit (its slightly longer than a normal MicroSD) it should work.

The problem is its got no built in memory so you wouldn't be able to use your GPS software etc.. without having to swap back and forth between cards which is a right pain on this handset.

If it's any bigger than a standard card it won't fit :)

Guest kurtfhouse
If it's any bigger than a standard card it won't fit :P

Looks like that one is a dead end then :)

So all we need is a MicroSD Wi-Fi card at normal size with 512MB or so memory built in, I think we might be waiting a while :D

Edited by kurtfhouse

Guest madmark

hi i wonder if any one can help i am thinking about getting the MDA Compact III, and i see there is no wifi

but i have bluetooth at home and in the office, will i be able to connect to the internet for free this way

Guest Paul (MVP)

Yes, using ActiveSync / Windows Mobile Device Center you can get to the Internet over Bluetooth (so long as you're in range).

Why not just get it with a Web'n'walk connection tho?

P

Guest burnerg81

Hi all. Can someone who has the phone tell me if a micro sd wifi card will fit? Spectec are going to launch one soon which has dimensions 23.3 x 11 x 0.7 mm, so around 8mm longer than a normal card?

I don't really need anymore memory I just want the phone for internet (wifi if possible) and email. Am I just being too optimistic??

Thanks.

Guest cactusbob
Hi all. Can someone who has the phone tell me if a micro sd wifi card will fit? Spectec are going to launch one soon which has dimensions 23.3 x 11 x 0.7 mm, so around 8mm longer than a normal card?

I don't really need anymore memory I just want the phone for internet (wifi if possible) and email. Am I just being too optimistic??

Thanks.

No it won't fit :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TreColl

hi,

I have a 2.0 gb microsd card on its ways from mobymemory, its comes with a USB microSD card reader, which i wont use as ill just use the adapter and activesync.

I was thinking on trying a little trick, in that i would take apart the usb adapter and take the card slot off, then create a means of attaching that to the back of the c3. Then pluggin it so its connected to the slot under the sim by a 'belt' or whatever!

If i done this would then i be able to use a MicroSD WiFi card like burnerg81 mentioned??

or would it need new rom/software??

TIA

Rob

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sahins

I've been out with my wife today to the T-Mobile shop in Leicester to show her the MDA Compact III. First impressions- nice small device! However, like most, very disappointed about the lack of WiFi (not to concerned about 3G as much). Decided to do some research about this and came across a the following forum: http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/in...p/t-282421.html

In summary, it suggests that WiFI was enabled on ARTE110 devices. Apparently, network providers can choose to have Wifi enabled or disabled!

T-Mobile (Germany) = Disabled

T-Mobile (Netherlands) = Enabled

T-Mobile (U.K.) = Disabled

Further reading into the forum says that one of the readers has had a reply from T-Mobile (U.K.) confirming that WiFi will definitely be disabled here. This is also confirmed on the processor manufacturer's link (Texas Instruments) - http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=cpu&id=a850 (T-Mobile MDA Compact III).

Still, like all you guys here, they are equally determined to get both 3G and WiFi working on these devices. Keep up the good work. In the meantime, I'm off to do some more research before committing myself 100% to this!

• 3 weeks later...