Bought a htc tytn, few niggles that need resolving, help please

Guest ACIDFORUMS

Guest ACIDFORUMS

hi after havign mobiles for some time i finall moved to a pda type phone..i got this simfree

firstly i know there are various threads on here but the phone is gernerally running ok

with a few niggles

this is what i got

1) if i dont use the phoen for a while, i dont know what it is maybe reception but the phone does stpop beign active, as in i can acess the today screen but if i use the phone shortcut button on the right

the phone sysmbol has a cross on it, and will not change for a bit

that means that anyon phoning me will go to my voicemail very annoying.

2) is there a way for flight mode to be switched off completely, i find due to the above issues the phone goes into flight mode..

3)i get reception bars of 1-2 wheres as mobiels i had 4-5 with ease...

4)is it safe and battery wise to leave wifi turned on all the time?/

5)when an incoming rings through, on a mobile the option is to silently stop the ringing but not end the call.. but at the same tiem no use the vibrate function.

for exampel when rinign a sony ericcsson phone to stop the tone you press the hash key, but to the other end its still ringing but you cant hear it

pressign ignore on htc just ends/refuses the call

6)what is the latest version of software for the htc tytn avaible to download.

can i go to t-mob site and downlaod an update for vario 2? as its the same??

7)if i do a soft reset, what do i lose?

8) does the device have a built in gps receiver? no biggie as ill buy one either way for a satnav aackage..

just a few niggles

Guest randomelements

1 - not come across this before, maybe it's a sim issue. Don't see why the phone should drop in to flight mode just because it's not being used.

2 - as far as I'm aware you can't disable the option to go in to flight mode

3 - different phones have different signal meters - just because it says 1-2 bars doesn't mean that the signal is any worse.

4 - if you leave wifi on all the time your battery will die VERY quickly - if you do leave wifi on then make sure you tick the option to Auto turn off WLAN if not connected

5 - no way to do this on the Hermes - someone please correct me if I'm wrong

6 - T-Mobile don't have a downloadable ROM yet. There are a number of other operator ROMs around (have a look at the XDA-developers site) but I think the HTC ROM is one of the better ones

7 - with a soft-reset you don't lose anything - it's a hard reset that wipes your phone

8 - no built in GPS - you'll have to tether one.

As far as number 5 goes, I'm sure I've done this by using the scroll wheel - i.e. scroll down while incoming call and call is muted. On the train at the moment so can't check!

Guest ACIDFORUMS

thanks for the replies

ok but does that mean the reception is bad whn it goes to the icon of phone with a cross on it?

how about pressing the on/offf button quickly once

i knwo that means the phoen doesnt turn off, its like a standby which still alerts you to a phoen call?

does that have any lon term effects if you dont use the phoen for a while.???