How on Earth can I send Email from Outlook?

Guest starstrike

Guest starstrike

I have had my spv m3100 for 3 months now. I have set up my email accounts (one .ac.uk, one ntlworld.com) using outlook. As far as I can see all the settings are correct but it wont let me send mail. It says that 'Messages cannot be downloaded to your mobile device' when I try to send & receive. It sends ok when my phone is connected to my PC, I have not tested it over WiFi but it wont send it through 3G/GPRS.

Any tips? :)

Guest chucky.egg

Not sure what you mean by "I have set up my email accounts using outlook" - using Outlook as a template?

Assuming you can receive emails, and just can't send them, then try setting your SMTP settings to your mobile networks SMTP service.

For example smtp.t-mobile.co.uk

Guest starstrike

I have tried with authentication not set and with it set (although I have not changed the outgoing details under the option to do so).

Both accounts are pop3/smtp

Any help would be appreciated!

I have had my spv m3100 for 3 months now. I have set up my email accounts (one .ac.uk, one ntlworld.com) using outlook. As far as I can see all the settings are correct but it wont let me send mail. It says that 'Messages cannot be downloaded to your mobile device' when I try to send & receive. It sends ok when my phone is connected to my PC, I have not tested it over WiFi but it wont send it through 3G/GPRS.

Any tips? :)

I too am having the same weird error message when using my GMail account by POP3 on my MDA Vario II.

I've got an outbox full of mail, but when doing a send/receive it tells me "Messages cannot be downloaded to your mobile device". Incoming mail is fine, so why is it telling me they could not be downloaded?

It's the uploading of mail that is broken. I have the SMTP settings configured to authenticate using the same details as POP3, and via SSL.

GMail outgoing just don't wanna work over GPRS or WiFi connections it seems.

Guest Christopher Woods
I too am having the same weird error message when using my GMail account by POP3 on my MDA Vario II.

I've got an outbox full of mail, but when doing a send/receive it tells me "Messages cannot be downloaded to your mobile device". Incoming mail is fine, so why is it telling me they could not be downloaded?

It's the uploading of mail that is broken. I have the SMTP settings configured to authenticate using the same details as POP3, and via SSL.

GMail outgoing just don't wanna work over GPRS or WiFi connections it seems.

I've noticed that although I have GMail POP access configured on my phone, it has never, and will never, download emails, even if I have new, unread mails in my Inbox... Can't figure out why, must be some obscure setting.

You won't be able to send emails via ntlworld's SMTP server, however many times you try - they automatically disallow any login attempts if your connection doesn't resolve to an *.ntl.com or *.ntli.net address. I noticed this years ago when I had multiple dialup accounts (and used ntlworld for my email) - that was a right pain, having to redial just to send email. You'll have to use the T-Mobile SMTP server for that.

No idea about your .ac.uk address though. My Uni (UCE, Brum) doesn't even provide POP access outside of the intranet.

This error could be related to the server not allowing you to login (i.e. not allowed to relay off the smtp server). It's a piss pour error message frankly, IMO and doesn't really tell you what the problem is. What I did was use outlook express on my PC to confirm my smtp/pop3 settings were correct. After confirming outlook express on my PC worked I discovered the HTC outlook doesn't like using the 'same settings' on both inbound/outbound mail for some reason. It seemed to pass the wrong format or something for the smtp server. I had this problem when using godaddy's (they host for me) smtprelay to send mail. Receiving wasn't an issue for me.

On the screen for manual input for outbound smtp settings I set the username field: [email protected], password: and left the domain field blank. Then it started working. Originally I tried username: , password , then domain (my domain) but that didn't work seem to work.

Hope this helps.

Mike

I've noticed that although I have GMail POP access configured on my phone, it has never, and will never, download emails, even if I have new, unread mails in my Inbox... Can't figure out why, must be some obscure setting.

You won't be able to send emails via ntlworld's SMTP server, however many times you try - they automatically disallow any login attempts if your connection doesn't resolve to an *.ntl.com or *.ntli.net address. I noticed this years ago when I had multiple dialup accounts (and used ntlworld for my email) - that was a right pain, having to redial just to send email. You'll have to use the T-Mobile SMTP server for that.

No idea about your .ac.uk address though. My Uni (UCE, Brum) doesn't even provide POP access outside of the intranet.

Regardiing Gmail, This might be because they require you to first enable pop for the account and they use different ports then standard 25 and 110. Also I think (not sure cos I dont use them) they require encrpytion but I think these links will help.

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer....&topic=1556

and

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer....&topic=1556