MDA Vario 2 wiping email accounts on soft reset

Guest rossinio

Guest rossinio

When i create a new email account (using both emailwiz and "new account" in outlook) everything goes fine (can send and receive etc) until i soft reset the device. At which point it wipes the accounts from the phone and seemingly deletes all emails.

This is a HUGE problem and I wonder if anyone else had this problem. I think its a software bug.

Does anyone know how to get around it? Id prefer not to send my phone in for repairs as can see it taking a while..

Guest richard_d
When i create a new email account (using both emailwiz and "new account" in outlook) everything goes fine (can send and receive etc) until i soft reset the device. At which point it wipes the accounts from the phone and seemingly deletes all emails.

This is a HUGE problem and I wonder if anyone else had this problem. I think its a software bug.

Does anyone know how to get around it? Id prefer not to send my phone in for repairs as can see it taking a while..

It's not a problem I've come across before - IU can certainly soft reset without losing accounts. Have you tried doing a hard reset then setting up the account again?

Guest rossinio

Okdoke, its actually a bug in windows mobile 5 that affects all types of email account.

Short version:

Your email account data isnt saved till you either turn device off or after a period of time.

Long version:

IIRC the cemail.vol database used to store emails/account settings etc is written to when you set up the account but the registry is not written until the device is told to (either by a power down using power button) or a set amount of time. stumbled across it in xda developer forums and cant quite remember the exact explanation but its something like this..

Sent the phone for repair before I figured out what it was.

To replicate my error just set up a new account using either emailwiz or outlook-new account. then immediately after you have created the account and got back to the today screen, soft reset the device using the reset hole [crashreboot?] - i think its ok if u do a soft reset using a software one.. When you get back into windows go and check your email accounts, the one you just added should be gone.

Have tried this on a total of 3 MDA Vario 2s now and all exhibit the same behaviour. Please let me know if the same thing happens for you guys as I think this is a pretty serious bug (who doesnt write important data to the registry at the same time as the file!? gah!)

cheers,

r