Compact iii Vs Vario with GPS kit

Guest chiquita

Guest chiquita

I've been on Orange since, well forever, but I've had enough with them. I want to go to T-Mobile to take advantage of WnW and Flext just seems to suit my usage better.

I've currently got an SPV M500 and I've been very happy with it.

I'm very interested in the Compact iii as I've been hankering after GPS for a while, and that seems like the perfect package, so I went it in to T-Mobile in Chester and asked if they had any to have a look at.

They did and the guy let me have a look before asking what I wanted the handset for. I said GPS, after a load of spiel he suggested getting the Vario, bundled with the Bluetooth GPS reciever, plus CoPilot Live (inc 12 months traffic updates) would be a better option.

I originally got excited thinking it was the Vario II he was offering but it was the original.

Now I'm in two minds. I've read some indifferent things about the Compact III, but the Vario isn't that much better than my current M500 save the slidey keyboard and WiFi.

Basically I wouldn't mind a quick few suggestions from you lot given your experiences with either device.

I am leaning towards the Compact III again, but any advice would be appreciated.

(Usual tactics, but if I go back today they're also giving me up to £40 worth of accesory)

Edited by chiquita

Guest Paul (MVP)

I wouldn't get the Vario, it's old hat now and you don't want to be stuck with it for 18 months :)

I'd go for the Vario II or the Compact III, depending on what you want. Vario II gives you 3G and a slidey keyboard, Compact III a nicer form factor, integrated GPS and the RollR (make sure you try before you buy!)

P

Guest chiquita
I wouldn't get the Vario, it's old hat now and you don't want to be stuck with it for 18 months :D

I'd go for the Vario II or the Compact III, depending on what you want. Vario II gives you 3G and a slidey keyboard, Compact III a nicer form factor, integrated GPS and the RollR (make sure you try before you buy!)

P

Cheers Paul,

I thought as much, I was just trying to put my mind a rest. I'll head back to the shop in a minute and have another chat. think I'll go for the Compact III because I want the GPS, but I might see what deals they can do on the Vario II.

I've just ordered my PAC from Orange, they didn't even have the decency to put me through to retentions, just offered me a lame 5Mb a month data Guinea Pig tariff or whatever they're calling them this week. :)

Edited by chiquita

Guest chiquita

Well I went back in after work, and after some hectic, busy talking and signing I managed to come out with a lovely Compact III, PLUS CoPilot Live (with Bluetooth Reciever!) on the £30 Flext plus WnW - for absolutely nothing! (Though they didn't have any in stock, so I'll have to pick it up soon).

I'm not sure how it happened, but I did have to sign up for their insurance, which I'll probly cancel in a couple of days in the cooling off period!

All in all a bit of a bargain! Especially as I can use the extra reciever with my old M500, or just hawk it on the Bay!

As for the Compact itself... initial playings are encouraging. I quite like the RollR and scroll wheel, but then I never used the d-pad much anyway. The camera seems to be a huge improvement from the m500, and I love the form factor - it's a shame the MicroSD slot isn't available externally though.

I'm waiting for my PAC from Orange to come through the post before getting really stuck in though.

All in all, I'm very very happy!

Guest chiquita
I hope the CoPilot you're getting is MicroSD! :)

P

Yeah that's the reason I haven't got it yet. They are giving me the 'Vario II' compatible version, which as far as I can work out is on MicroSD. They didn't have any of them in stock.