Microsoft Direct Push & Wifi

Guest abc123mda

Guest abc123mda

Hi - Im using Microsoft Direct Push for my work email - is there anyway to use WIFI connection when in range of a woreless network to synchronise folders - would save GPRS allowance - would also let me use when away

Guest jimbouk

No. According to MS its a security measure to stop emails etc being intercepted on unsecured wifi networks... I think it might also pander to the networks desire to earn from data though.

Guest abc123mda
No. According to MS its a security measure to stop emails etc being intercepted on unsecured wifi networks... I think it might also pander to the networks desire to earn from data though.

thats a shame because it would be sespecially handy to download large attachments - if wifi networks are OK for people to access their bank accounts - then should be ok for my emails!!

Guest jimbouk

Ah. Just re-read your first post. Its only directpush that wont work over wifi. You can still use wifi to activeysnc manually anyway. Simply set up your activesync to sync with your server but to not include attachments. Then use directpush when you are out and about.

When you get a mail with a large attachment that you want to view on the device, connect to your wifi, open the mail, click the attachment, and then press menu, send/receive.

Then you have the best of both worlds.

Edited by jimbouk

Guest abc123mda
Ah. Just re-read your first post. Its only directpush that wont work over wifi. You can still use wifi to activeysnc manually anyway. Simply set up your activesync to sync with your server but to not include attachments. Then use directpush when you are out and about.

When you get a mail with a large attachment that you want to view on the device, connect to your wifi, open the mail, click the attachment, and then press menu, send/receive.

Then you have the best of both worlds.

sounds great - so i just have to turn off the automatic direct push when abroad (which i would anyway) and then just use the active sync when connected to WIFI - will try tonight when i get home

Guest abc123mda

jimbout - sorry - im possibly being thick here.

if i turn off gprs and then go into my mailbox, can I send and receive over WIFI or just download attachments in existing mails? I tried to send and receive last might and it failed.

Pls confim if I can sync my email account over wifi, if i can please advise any addditional settings taht I may have to change

Thanks

Guest jimbouk

As long as directpush works over GPRS (which means that your device has an internet connection to the exchange server), you should be able to do manual - or automatic syncs - over wifi.

As long as you have a valid WIFI internet connection.

Guest abc123mda
As long as directpush works over GPRS (which means that your device has an internet connection to the exchange server), you should be able to do manual - or automatic syncs - over wifi.

As long as you have a valid WIFI internet connection.

works a treat - best to turn off phone first then use Active Sync to sync not send & receive through mailbox as that didnt work

thx for help