Active Sync (Direct Push) password prompting

Guest Alex Alex Alex

Guest Alex Alex Alex

I have two Orange SPV M3100's set up using Active Sync / Direct Push over 3G to our Exchange Server.

Both of us experience them regularly prompting for our password even though it's well and truely store and saved in the Active Sync server configuration settings. Often it will work just fine, but equally often you can pick up the device and it's sitting their waiting for your Exchange Server password :)

Is anyone else experiencing this and can give any sort of explanation (or better still solution)?

Edited by Alex Alex Alex

Guest jayz1220

I'm not sure exactly what could be causing this, I'm you have ticked the save password option when you enter the password.

Perhaps you could install the Microsoft Exchange Server ActiveSync Web Administration Tool:Download on the front end exchange server.

I have used this before to delete sync partnerships on the exchange server, you could try to delete the sync partnership and then try forcing a sync on the device and see what happens.

Edited by jayz1220

Guest Alex Alex Alex
I'm not sure exactly what could be causing this, I'm you have ticked the save password option when you enter the password.

Perhaps you could install the Microsoft Exchange Server ActiveSync Web Administration Tool:Download on the front end exchange server.

I have used this before to delete sync partnerships on the exchange server, you could try to delete the sync partnership and then try forcing a sync on the device and see what happens.

heh, yes of course save password option is ticked although you are forgiven for asking (i have stupid users to :) ).

Already got Mobile Admin tool installed, not a lot in there really is there :D Doubt deleting it and resetting them up will achieve anything as I've installed these a few times now during testing and all give similar results.

Like I say, it works most of the time but probably a couple of times a day I look at my device and see it sitting there waiting for my domain password. Probably a time out issue or one too many hops to the server (I'm going through a ISA 2006 server, then to a front end exchange 2003 server).

Guest Alex Alex Alex
I have mine working with my server and it never asks for the password. Are you syncing with other servers/ PCs or other email accounts as well?

no, nothing complicated. it's sync'd with the PC, but only really for charging purposes and files. the PC knows that the device is sync'ing directly with the exchange server :D

i haven't yet just clicked cancel at the prompt to see what it would do. i've always supplied my password. annoyingly it hasn't done it at all today so having problems getting any more information :) maybe as i'm regularly getting email at the moment it doesn't get a chance to time out.

Guest Confucious

Orange have the "long heartbeat" to save on data costs - whereas I'm with T-Mobile who just have sensible data prices in the first place...

I'm not sure where the heartbeat time is set - could it be that O have done something to their servers to allow the longer heartbeat but it does timeout on your servers? Have you tried asking Orange CS?

Guest Alex Alex Alex
Orange have the "long heartbeat" to save on data costs - whereas I'm with T-Mobile who just have sensible data prices in the first place...

I'm not sure where the heartbeat time is set - could it be that O have done something to their servers to allow the longer heartbeat but it does timeout on your servers? Have you tried asking Orange CS?

hmmm, may have a look at timeout settings on my IIS then.

i did actually just return to the device (took it off charge) and found that it was waiting for my password. then, for whatever odd reason, the screen disapeared before i had a chance to cancel it and it collected my email anyway.

Guest jayz1220

I too have a certificate issued by an authority on my network.

The only times I get prompted for passwords is when the password exipration policy has forced me to change my AD account password and I have done so from winxp.

Just to note, I set my IIS listener connection timeout to 1800 seconds (as recommended here), but I'm not sure how this would cause the device to keep on prompting for passwords.

BTW: Does the device ever ask for a password when you manually run activesync?

Guest Alex Alex Alex
BTW: Does the device ever ask for a password when you manually run activesync?

not so far, just seems to be when it's left idling by itself.

my timeout's on my ISA listener are 1800 by default.

i've tinkered around with a few more settings on both the ISA server and IIS server so i'll just wait and see if it improves things.

tx

alex