First day with my Vario II

Guest MacHooligan

Guest MacHooligan

Hi all, newly registerd user here...

It's my first day with my first WM device (finally switched from Orange & Treo 650 to Vario II on T-Mobile) and I could use some pointers from you MoDaCo old boys.

My apologies in advance for the extreme newbie nature of these questions...All I can say is I'm glad I've got a free week at home to set everything up...I think I'll need it! :D

Been ploughing through a few topics & lining up a few of Pauls must have free & commercial software choices.

Firstly, I should point out I'm a Apple Mac user & don'y have access to a PC.

With that in mind so I really need to run the cd-roms that came bundled with my device? Is there anything I actually need on there or should I go straight for the WM5 version of The Missing Sync from Markspace.com?

I used this on my Treo / mac set-up & it seemed to work fine.

Secondly, should a install EVERYTHING to the micro SD & not the device memory? Even the battery icon fixes etc? Are there any exceptions?

Also, what email client should I be looking at? I used Snappermail on my Treo to access my .mac account, but don't have a problem switching to a new app if there's one that comes heavily recommended.

Finally (for now!) I travel most of the year & rely on wi-fi access daily, with that in mind downloaded a copy of Hitchhiker (can't seem to connect to my home wi-fi yet) mentioned in a thread earlier today.

The files included were:

Hitchhiker0.32.msi

Setup.exe

Setup.Ini

How do I install these without the .cab file?

Big thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to help me out during this trying first few days. :)

Guest richard_d
Hi all, newly registerd user here...

Firstly, I should point out I'm a Apple Mac user & don'y have access to a PC.

With that in mind so I really need to run the cd-roms that came bundled with my device? Is there anything I actually need on there or should I go straight for the WM5 version of The Missing Sync from Markspace.com?

I used this on my Treo / mac set-up & it seemed to work fine.

There's nothing essential on the CD's

Secondly, should a install EVERYTHING to the micro SD & not the device memory? Even the battery icon fixes etc? Are there any exceptions?

Rule of thumb is Today screen plugins on the device, everything else on the card

Also, what email client should I be looking at? I used Snappermail on my Treo to access my .mac account, but don't have a problem switching to a new app if there's one that comes heavily recommended.

Don't know - I'm happy with Outlook

Finally (for now!) I travel most of the year & rely on wi-fi access daily, with that in mind downloaded a copy of Hitchhiker (can't seem to connect to my home wi-fi yet) mentioned in a thread earlier today.

The files included were:

Hitchhiker0.32.msi

Setup.exe

Setup.Ini

How do I install these without the .cab file?

Big thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to help me out during this trying first few days. :)

There's a new version (0.4) on the developers site which is available as a cab.

Welcome!

Guest MacHooligan
There's nothing essential on the CD's

Rule of thumb is Today screen plugins on the device, everything else on the card

Don't know - I'm happy with Outlook

There's a new version (0.4) on the developers site which is available as a cab.

Welcome!

Thanks for taking the time Richard.

On the Hitchhiker thing, I found the .cab file for that...but the developers site says i need to install .net compact framework 2.0 first. I followed the link to the Microsoft download chntre & THAT file is a .msi file.

Where's the .cab version of that?

This is getting confusing. Anyone help me out? :)

Guest richard_d
Thanks for taking the time Richard.

On the Hitchhiker thing, I found the .cab file for that...but the developers site says i need to install .net compact framework 2.0 first. I followed the link to the Microsoft download chntre & THAT file is a .msi file.

Where's the .cab version of that?

This is getting confusing. Anyone help me out? :)

I don't know whether there is a cab but the msi worked with the Vario ii synced to my PC okay

Guest Confucious
I don't know whether there is a cab but the msi worked with the Vario ii synced to my PC okay

The msi would work fine with a pc as it is a windows installer file - the problem is it won't work with a mac.

Being MS they don't cater for macs very well and I don't believe you can get .net as a cab - your options are:

a) Dump the mac and get a PC - They're much better :)

:D use some PC emulation s/ware on the mac

c) Beg/borrow/steal a PC to use for installation (preferably not the 3rd one!)

d) Find another way of accessing networks without hitchhiker

d) If hitchhiker is available as a cab it might be worth emailing the writers to see if they can supply .net as a cab as well - a long shot but it might work

WiFi eats the battery on WM devices - I haven't used it since I got unlimited 3G access.

Sorry I don't know anything about macs but if your email is pop3 or smtp then the built in outlook works fine for most but if you need more advanced features then Flexmail is the client of choice (at least for PC users!)

Good luck and welcome to wthe world of Windows!

Guest The Doctor
a) Dump the mac and get a PC - They're much better :D

:) :D :P

Don't make me laugh :(

(he says sitting at his beautiful iMac and can only imagine how fabulously frustrating a PC is :))

Phil

[EDIT: Sorry but i can't resist arguing when the Mac VS. PC gauntlet is thrown down :)]

Edited by The Doctor

Guest Confucious
(he says sitting at his beautiful iMac and can only imagine how fabulously frustrating a PC is :))

My PCs work most of the time - well, admittedly "most" might be a bit of an exaggeration since I installed Vista...

Guest The Doctor
And I still wouldn't touch a MAC with a bargepole :D

Shame, your missing out :) I feel a Mac VS. PC debate starting in the lounge soon..... :(

Back on topic....

Personally i use Mark/space Missing Sync 3, a vast improvement over Active Sync as you can actually USE the files whilst they're still on the device much like WMDC in Vista. I have also installed wisbar advance 2 which gives a great start menu replacement and its skinable :D

For some great free software see 'Paul's Favourite FREE Hermes Software' in the hermes section :P

Phil