UBiQUiO 501 AKU3.3 update released!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
501-front.jpg

Do you remember the UBiQUiO 501 device I reviewed recently?

Well I am pleased to tell you (and I have to say pleasantly surprised) that an AKU 3.3 update has been released for the device!

You can find out more here at Expansys, but if you have a 501, I recommend you get downloading immediately :)

AKU 3.3 adds a number of new features including WPA2 support for WiFi and an improved application for using the device as a modem, as well as the following changes;

- Radio frequency has been fine tuned, should take shorter time to catch radio signal and the roaming problem should be solved
- Protection on the gsm parameter file, will not be corrupted by 3rd party software
- “●” displayed as “123” & “abc”
- Wi-Fi has been fine tuned, please note that IEEE 802.11 b/g means it works with 11g protocol but in the speed of 11b (11Mbp)
- Bluetooth & A2DP has also been fine tuned and fits most of the headset

Stability is said to have been improved in this update (I personally didn't come across any problems during my use, but I know some have)... so if you're a '501 user, i'm very interested to hear your feedback!

P

Paul,

I read on XDA-Dev that AKU3 provides the ability to send and receive contacts as business cards via SMS. Do you know if that's true? If it is I can finally move back from Sony-Ericsson to a Smartphone (although the 501 is looking good too).

xerxes

• 2 weeks later...

@ Paul, when you reviewed the 501, did you notice any creaking of the housing as some 501 owners mentioned in the Expansys forum? I know you didn't have the device for a long time, but just curious to know if you might have or know of anyone that was able to successfully use TCMP on the 501? As always appreciate your time and input/advice, thanks.

Regards,

P.S. Also any news on the availability of the imate version (JAQ3)?

Edited by kwues

Very nice, but the lack of 3G is just unacceptable these days. I am very happy with my Treo and its UMTS (and soon to be HSDPA :))

Horses for courses. Not everybody needs 3G. GPRS is perfectly adequate for background Push email, and if it was using 3G the 501 wouldn't have that awesome battery life. I'd rather have a device that gets my email reliably, and doesn't go flat while I'm out of the office if I make one too many phone calls.

Edited by Metoo

Guest MitchellO
I'd rather have a device that gets my email reliably, and doesn't go flat while I'm out of the office if I make one too many phone calls.

Me too. My such device is called the Treo 750v :)

Edited by MitchellO

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.