Poor speaker sound qulity on Orange SPV M3100

Guest Earthworm

Guest Earthworm

Hi, Newbie here. I can hear the groans! ;-)

Anyway, I've had my Orange SPV M3100 for a week now and overall I'm very happy with it. Only problem I've had so far is with freezing after I installed SPB pocket plus and pocket weather (has anyone else had this problem?). Anyway, that's uninstalled now. To the point. I feel a bit let down by the built in speaker quality. On all but the lowest volume settings, the sound is distorting quite badly when the speaker phone is activated. Now, I'm not sure if I am expecting too much or whether this is normal but I've read a review of the TyTn that actually praised the built in speaker qulity so I wondered if other Hermes users can tell me if their handsets also suffer from distorting sound? Thanks.

Guest bodypilot

I have a Cingular 8525 with the exact same problem - very distorted sound even at under half volume. I am thinking about returning it to the store as it is pretty bad.

Guest richard_d

I don't use the speaker phone much, but wouldn't describe it as either bad or particularly good. It will distort a near full volume but at normal levels it's okay. To get the best out of it - sit it in a dock or similar - don't whatever you do leave it flat directly on a desk - if you must use it flat at least stick it on top of a book or pad of paper otherwise the desk resonates with the speaker. Like most speakers though it's best playing into open air so if you haven't got a dock firmly prop it up.

As to the problem with your today screen apps - I'm assuming you've correctly installed them to the device rather than storage card? If not do so, and also check you haven't got any obvious software conflicts e.g. having an alternative battery monitor such as Batti running which appears to conflict with Pocketplus's batter monitoring unsurprisingly.

Guest Earthworm
I don't use the speaker phone much, but wouldn't describe it as either bad or particularly good. It will distort a near full volume but at normal levels it's okay. To get the best out of it - sit it in a dock or similar - don't whatever you do leave it flat directly on a desk - if you must use it flat at least stick it on top of a book or pad of paper otherwise the desk resonates with the speaker. Like most speakers though it's best playing into open air so if you haven't got a dock firmly prop it up.

As to the problem with your today screen apps - I'm assuming you've correctly installed them to the device rather than storage card? If not do so, and also check you haven't got any obvious software conflicts e.g. having an alternative battery monitor such as Batti running which appears to conflict with Pocketplus's batter monitoring unsurprisingly.

Guest Earthworm

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I think I'll try for a replacement off Orange. I'm also having a problem getting a stable WiFi connection at home. Didn't have a problem with my old Fujitsu Siemans PDA using the same Belkin Mimo router using 801.11b setting. Also, I've noticed a bug playing back video MMS messages. I'm Just getting a blank white screen with no sound though the time counter is indicating that the message is playing. As for the problem with SPB pocket plus freezing the handset, yes it was installed to the main memory (still waiting for my 2gb sandisk card to be delivered). By the way, is it ok in general to install other aps to the memory card when it arrives or is it just today plugins that should be installed to main memory?