WARNING - SMS Shortcode theft

Guest davy

Got replies from Voda this morning. They supplied details of the transactions and confirmed I have never sent any texts since activating the sim last month.

The e-mail address originally supplied by Voda for Logogo was wrong.

I have e-mailed Logogo tonight and await there response.

davy.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest confucious

I've only just spotted this thread - missed it on MoDaCo because I don't normally read voda stuff.

Just wanted to say the same thing happens on T-Mob.

Gave my mum an old phone for Christmas 2004 and it was locked to T so bought her a PAYG SIM and chucked a tenner on it (enough to last hner about a year!), she turned it on and immediately received a 'joke' SMS and shortly after another one. Turns out she was being charged 50p a time. I textded back 'STOP' but they didn't.

I called T at some ridiculous rate to be told they could do nothing and we must have ordered it!

I eventually went to the T shop where I bought the SIM where a very helpful man explained that the number must have been recycled, gave us a new SIM with a new number and refunded the money taken. If it wasnLt for the helpful man in the shop I would probably have started a similar thread about T.

This is legalised THEFT - there is no other word for it. How many kids have bought a new SIM and had there money stolen like this and not been able to do anything about it?

I think it's disgusting but it's nit just voda and it hasn't stopped me going back to T for their wonderful new W'n'W tarrif...

The law needs to be changed and one day I'll get round to writing to my MP about it....

• 5 months later...
This is legalised THEFT

Theft, by definition, is illegal. :)

I agree that it is a complete joke and people make a lot of money and it should be stopped. Unless a lot of people follow the advice on this thread then the phone companies won't do anything about it. Another law will just be worked around. Hit the network in the pocket it is the only way it will stop. Text STOP to..... :D

I've only just spotted this thread - missed it on MoDaCo because I don't normally read voda stuff.

Just wanted to say the same thing happens on T-Mob.

Except if you ask T-Mobile nicely, they'll turn off the reverse billed SMS option on your account so you can't be billed like this.

AFAIK, they're the only UK network operator to do this.

Guest spacerace

this is exactly what I was getting to - it must be a recycyled number and the previous owner signed up for this service and authorised it. agree - go back to Vodafone and show no texts have been sent while you owned the account and that you are not liable for the billing...

• 1 month later...
Except if you ask T-Mobile nicely, they'll turn off the reverse billed SMS option on your account so you can't be billed like this.

AFAIK, they're the only UK network operator to do this.

Hmm... T-Mobile CS tell me that if they do this, it will also prevent me from sending SMS... And that there's no way around it.

Mind you, so far I've only spoken to one person, who then asked her supervisor... So being an ex-Orange customer, perhaps I should apply the tried and tested 'best of three' method, in the hope of obtaining the correct information? :)