"Orange plans up to 2,000 job cuts"

Guest tsutton

Guest tsutton

Mobile phone operator Orange is planning to cut between 1,800 and 2,000 UK jobs in a drive to reduce costs.

The French-owned firm said it wanted to reduce its costs by 15% as it adapts to "customer needs in an increasingly competitive environment".

Chief executive Bernard Ghillebaert said that employees "would be treated with dignity and respect consistent with our values".

More here

Sad news. Need to jump ship soon. :)

Guest raiderz

I think its shocking news, but isn't the churn rate in their call centres pretty high? Will just mean that people won't get replaced, and more jobs will go to their call centres in India?

Here in the North East we have quite a few Orange call centres, almost right on Tony Blairs backyard, maybe its just as well that he's going before the next election cos there will be a lot of Blair voters here that will be losing their jobs!

Guest sporkguy

You know where they'll be cutting the job.. in the most important area: Customer Service.

Good old India has been training up new employees to take over Registration, Tech and Customer Support area, and they're paid a darn sight less than their UK counterparts.

God bless the French business model.

Guest w411y
You know where they'll be cutting the job.. in the most important area: Customer Service.

Good old India has been training up new employees to take over Registration, Tech and Customer Support

Oh God as if their customer service is bad enough already :) I am no means saying that racially but most lack in fluent English and the customer service in the UK don't even know whats going on over here let alone a service from India. To be honest I think they've made a lot of stupid mistakes lately.

Guest amo

Orange, kinda like president Logan from 24. Lets think of the most logical, sensible thing to do. Then do the opposite.

Guest sporkguy
Orange, kinda like president Logan from 24. Lets think of the most logical, sensible thing to do. Then do the opposite.

LOL - what a brilliant second post. I dip my hat to you sir. :)

Guest sporkguy
We need Palmer back in office, goddamn it! ;-)

As much as I hate getting off-topic, and it shall end here.. Palmer was a fantastic President :)

Guest goochy1
As much as I hate getting off-topic, and it shall end here.. Palmer was a fantastic President :)

Why do they really need to cut jobs they got enough money to pay 2000 peoples wages lol

Gettin off the subject a bit i was wanderin if you cud tell me how to get lichfield in the where your from bit

thanx

Goochy1

Guest kaf
as it adapts to "customer needs in an increasingly competitive environment".

Chief executive Bernard Ghillebaert said that employees "would be treated with dignity and respect consistent with our values".

Love it ... meaningless words .. used in a way most company now seem to communicate to there gulible customer base.

Do they beleive there own manure?

Guest sporkguy
Why do they really need to cut jobs they got enough money to pay 2000 peoples wages lol

Gettin off the subject a bit i was wanderin if you cud tell me how to get lichfield in the where your from bit

thanx

Goochy1

In 'My Mobiholics' then under profile :)

and I'm sure they're cutting the jobs in the UK because 40% of the CSRs I used to deal with here absolutely useless - and rude too - at least the India CSRs are polite and helpful 100% of the time.

my god.. did I just say what I think I did... blimey, too much cider!

Guest goochy1
In 'My Mobiholics' then under profile :)

and I'm sure they're cutting the jobs in the UK because 40% of the CSRs I used to deal with here absolutely useless - and rude too - at least the India CSRs are polite and helpful 100% of the time.

my god.. did I just say what I think I did... blimey, too much cider!

LOL

Cheers for the help aswell!!!

Goochy1

Guest pd.ryder
We need Palmer back in office, goddamn it! ;-)
But he's dead, dead, dead. Shot through the head, I believe. Mind you, in the current climate, that won't necessarily stop him being President :)

Guest Tech

im not surprised the way they have been acting the past year, was bound to happen

"customer needs?" er... i think you've gone past that and prooved you cant meet their needs after your whole shake up of tarrifs and before that!

Guest sporkguy
I doubt they'll cut jobs in the call centres as they always want more bums on seats.

no, not 'cut' the jobs as such - more, outsource to India where the wages are vastly different.

I agree they want more bodies in their call centres, but if it costs them a lot less, then the french will be happy.

Guest dr who

I think for companies that DON'T have Indian call centres it is a definite plus and should be an advertising feature, "All call centres based in the UK". Firstly I like to support workers in the UK, people should be paid a living wage for the work they do and I think outsourcing like this is disgusting. The other thing I have against the sweatshop call centres is that they can't actually do anything. They always have to call someone in the UK, so in effect much smaller UK call centres still exist with 'senior' people who can actually say 'yes' and 'no' to things. It drives me beserk when they advertise these 24 hour call centres but you can only actually get anything done between the hours of 9 and 5 in the UK because they have to refer back! Grrrrrr.

Guest amo

Orange treat its employees even worse than their customers, at least for the customers its easier to move somewhere else!

Getting out of that company was the smartest, and best move i've made in a very long time!

Guest sporkguy
Orange treat its employees even worse than their customers, at least for the customers its easier to move somewhere else!

Getting out of that company was the smartest, and best move i've made in a very long time!

Same mate - altho in my case, I was dismissed (thanks to this place lol!)

Which dept. did you work in?

Guest tsutton
Same mate - altho in my case, I was dismissed (thanks to this place lol!)

ooo, first I've heard of... what did you do? posting info that was not supposed to be seen by public eyes? :)

Guest sporkguy
ooo, first I've heard of... what did you do? posting info that was not supposed to be seen by public eyes? :)

Correct.. as well as using the O logo in my sig, and identifying myself as a PT - all of which are apparently against my T&Cs.

The disciplinary was fun. Its a tad strange seeing your boss cry though.

Guest amo

Sporkguy, seems that they're loosing their best staff! (Not saying im brilliant but i was by far the most competent employee in our store).

Its ridiculous you were dismissed! And the entire disciplinary procedure is a joke! Identifying yourself as a Phone Trainer is against your T+C? Thats absurd! Did they provide proof? You were laid off because you went out of your way to help their customers in your own free time...yeah errr ok, that makes sense!

Clever Orange(!)

If Orange are reading - I've no hesitation in letting anyone who is interested know about the incompetence of the Retail sector of the company.

I'm sorry to anyone reading to sound so agressive against the company but the way they hold a superiority complex against the employees that form the company is shocking and should not go unpunished. Rest assured a formal action is in order against them by another employee who I had the pleasure of working with until recently

/end rant