Weird charges for picture messaging

Guest steve_smith

Guest steve_smith

Hello,

I'm on T-Mobile Web'n'Walk 200, with an MDA Vario.

At about 23:15 last night I received an SMS and an MMS both from a number I don't recognise.

According to T-Mobile (who I've just phoned) the number is a standard UK mobile (although not T-Mobile).

The text of the SMS doesn't make any sense, and I can't seem to view the MMS.

However, according to T-Mobile's online billing page, at the same time last night I sent 3 MMS messages to this number (charged at 17p per message). I wasn't using my phone at 23:15 last night, and nor was anyone else in my house (we were sleeping).

Anyone else had a strange occurance like this? My phone (I just checked) is set to "retrieve messages immediately". Can retrieving messages sometimes cause some kind of reverse charges? T-Mobile thought not (unless the number is connected to a company, but they say it's not)...

However, I can't possibly have sent anything. As well as not actually having the phone in my hand at the time, its also set to "Save sent messages", and there's nothing in the Sent Items folder either. So unless my phone has some kind of random MMS sending virus, I can't see what else could have caused it. If I uninstall the MMS client, will that stop the phone sending or receiving the things? I've never used picture messaging, and never intend to use it either.

Any hints or tips would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve.

Guest sporkguy

Hi Steve, very strange occurrence this!

What device do you use?

Also - have you tried putting the number involved into a Google search and see if other users have had similar problems with the same number?

Better yet - tried calling the number?

Guest steve_smith
Hi Steve, very strange occurrence this!

What device do you use?

Also - have you tried putting the number involved into a Google search and see if other users have had similar problems with the same number?

Better yet - tried calling the number?

Using an MDA Vario running the I-Mate AKU2 ROM (I needed push email).

Googled the number and the text of the SMS message, no matches. Was reluctant to call or text the number, in case it was a scam and was then open to further charges.

Anyway, I've just hard reset my handset and aborted the I-Mate customisation process, which means the MMS client has not been installed. I assume that with no MMS client installed, the phone won't be able to send or receive MMS messages?

Cheers,

Steve.

Guest sporkguy
Using an MDA Vario running the I-Mate AKU2 ROM (I needed push email).

Googled the number and the text of the SMS message, no matches. Was reluctant to call or text the number, in case it was a scam and was then open to further charges.

Anyway, I've just hard reset my handset and aborted the I-Mate customisation process, which means the MMS client has not been installed. I assume that with no MMS client installed, the phone won't be able to send or receive MMS messages?

Cheers,

Steve.

Thats right Steve. Even removing the MMS Settings from the client itself would suffice, as without configuration, the MMS App will do nothing at all :)

Let's hope this ends here eh.

Guest tsutton

Call that number from a payphone, this way you will protect your phone from any additional charges.