W810i

Guest mark4130

Guest mark4130

Has anyone got the W810i on Orange? Does it come with the Orange homescreen installed on it? Im looking at getting one but after having a N70 with the home screen, I dont want to be stuck with a fudged up W810i phone

Cheers

Guest sporkguy

Welcome to the forums Mark :)

The only SE phone I've ever seen from Orange that includes the homescreen was the K700i -- since then, many Sony Ericssons have come and gone, and none of them have had the homescreen. I think it caused too many problems with the Sony software.

Still, I'd recommend having a play with one in person at your local Orange Shop, and see what you think :D

Guest impy78

It does, but you can turn it off - thank the lord!!!!

I had a play with one the other day - they offered me an upgrade from the N70, but I didn't really see how a 2g phone is an upgrade from a 3g phone, and I tried the the video camera, and it wasn't that brilliant.

I think I'm going to wait till next month for the k800i 3.2 mp phone.

Having said that the W810i is weeny!!!

Guest mark4130

Hi Impy, thats definitely good news if thats the case!!! Did you actually manage to turn it off or were you just told you could turn it off? The reason I ask is because I have been into 2 orange shops this week - the first one told me "you could turn it on and off", but he couldnt show me as he had forgotten!?!?

The second one told me "No you cant turn it off, why would we want you to turn it off?"

When I asked her why the display one set up playing music didnt have the Orange homescreen on it, she replied "Oh that was probably a duff one that hadnt had it loaded properly and its just pot luck that they opened that one"....

If its definitely the case that you can turn it off, Im going to be very tempted...

Guest sporkguy

Not being sexist or anything Mark, but most of the female phone trainers I've worked with know nothing about handsets, they just know the basics like "oh its got a camera" or "yeah it works on 3G, whatever that is"

your best bet is to have a play with one in the shop (you're allowed to do this, as its a mystery shop requirement - just pretend like ur the mystery shopper :D) and go thru to settings and try and find the option to turn it off :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mark4130

Well I took the plunge and grabbed the W810i. Yes, you can turn the homescreen off!!!! Its nothing like the abomination on the Nokia N70, you just choose a different theme and voila, no Orange sidebar.

Spent 10 mins and ?7.99 to debrand it this morning and I now have a really, really nice little phone. Great camera, great reception, nice and fast.

Really pleased with it... now I just need to break my addiction to phones and clear out the collection on my desk at home... it looks like a damn carphone warehouse!!!

Guest impy78

Well, here's another shock for you all - I went into the orange shop to have a play with an N80....

NO HOMESCREEN!!!!!! :)

I was almost tempted to get the upgrade, but I thinkit would be a false economt to have two contract phones, as i am will be a poor student from next month - still - NO HOMESCREEN!!!!????

• 3 weeks later...