O/T - Orange Broadband

Guest dr who

Guest dr who

Anyone been brave enough to risk it yet? Are there any data caps - I couldn't see any in the TandC.

I thought this may help negate the cost of paying for an O contract I don't use when I migrate to TMob before the end of one of my contracts.

Guest moroni
I heard that there's a FUP of around 2gb.

Thats ttrue there is the 2GB cap, but they say that they will fire warning shots rather than limit you or cut you off!

I have actually signed up for the unlimited package without caps, its a tenner a month so its not too bad, and i get another modem so i can get rid of mine on ebay :)

Guest sporkguy
I was joking in case you're not aware.

Rest assured I got the joke, and even chuckled a little to myself :)

Thats ttrue there is the 2GB cap, but they say that they will fire warning shots rather than limit you or cut you off!

I have actually signed up for the unlimited package without caps, its a tenner a month so its not too bad, and i get another modem so i can get rid of mine on ebay biggrin.gif

Yeah, as I've always been aware (the regional 'Elite Phone Trainer' informed me) that it is a 'Soft' cap - so they're not going to send heavies round to cut your phoneline in half, but rather, break the cap once: they'll maybe email you. Break it 10 months in a row: they may send you a menacing letter.. either way its nothing to lose sleep over!

yes it will be 2GB - no surprise there as they are with "wanadoo".

connection speeds will also probably be lower too.

2GB these days per month is nothing

tbh - I would invest in something that is and will be more stable without restrictions (i.e cable ISP internet such as blueyonder) - well worth the money and you dont get screwed over

Guest dr who
yes it will be 2GB - no surprise there as they are with "wanadoo".

connection speeds will also probably be lower too.

2GB these days per month is nothing

tbh - I would invest in something that is and will be more stable without restrictions (i.e cable ISP internet such as blueyonder) - well worth the money and you dont get screwed over

I assumed it would be shash, but I thought it might help pay the redundant ?20 a month I will soon be paying Orange after TMob release the Hermes.

Guest sporkguy

2gb IMHO is ridiculous.

How would you go about downloading, for example, the latest Public Beta of Windows Vista?

Looking at the speed I did it on ntl (10mb), I'd imagine I'd reach 2gb in less than an hour on wann... sorry.. Orange :)

vista5hz.jpg

Guest pd.ryder

The idea of 'free' BB with a mobile tarrif over ?30 is appealing, but a 2Gb cap? Pah, even Tiscali got rid of their caps, and they're tight!!

A couple of DivX downloads per month and yer b*ggered :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just spoke to O CS.

The free service does have a 2gb usage cap. It is on a 'fair usage' policy. If you go over on the odd ocassion they reckon it won't matter. If you do it continuosly they might suggest you upgrade to the unlimited max package.

With the free service you also get free landline eve and weekend calls.

The max package is ?10 a month, unlimited broadband usage and free land line calls at all times.

They said that most people are receiving speeds of 2meg. They checked my number and I would prob get speeds of 2meg too. Not surprised you don't get 8 meg, looks good in the ad though.

Chiz

Guest confucious

You pays your money and you make your choice - 2Gb is not a lot - but it's free, I was worried because my ISP has a 20Gb limit, I certainly use more than 2Gb per month.

?10 for unlimited is better - but you have to use Orange for your mobile - and who wants to do that? :)

but you have to use Orange for your mobile - and who wants to do that? :)

:D hahahah, wish I didn't have to. Only 3mths in though so might as well try to get what I can from them.

Guest pd.ryder
The max package is ?10 a month, unlimited broadband usage and free land line calls at all times.

Now that does beat my current ?14.99 1Mb line with unlimited cap from Tiscali, which doesn't include phone calls.

*pick self up off floor* Orange being competetive???

But can I cope with changing email addresses again... Ooo the stress... :)

Guest g1liw

I thought so too, when I went into the Orange shop in Croydon Collenades to upgrade my phone - grabbed the free BB offer with both hands, an anchor, and bluetack to boot :D OK, so there's a 2 gig cap? so what - it'll be worth it for the speedier access (I'm currently on a 56k steam-powered dialup :P) - and if they wanna really make me happy, they'll loose the cap too - limiting the free access speed to 1 or 2 megs, unlimited, will REALLY be competetive :)