What O/S is it ?

Guest m1.carson

Guest m1.carson

Looking at upgrading my poor old Mpx200 [lack of signal ], but very few manufacturers seem to say what O/S the phone uses, I'd like to stay with windows, but cash dominates the scene, looking at V3x and D600 at the moment but neither of their websites or retailers mention what system they use.

Is there anywhere here that will tell me, or just look on MODACO smartphone listing.

Max.

Guest awarner (MVP)

Take a look at www.smartphonehistory.com this mentions all the available Smartphones that use Windows.

It does not list pocketPC mobiles as yet.

Guest sporkguy

The Mpx200 uses Windows Mobile 2003 as far as I'm aware.

The D600 and V3xs dont run a smartphone OS, and run a propriety Samsung and Motorola OS respectively.

If you're after a decent Smartphone, check out the SPV C550, or more recently, the C600 which has just been launched on PAYG at a very reasonable price.

Guest m1.carson

Cheers sporkguy,

Shame, but just too late, ordered a V3x, ah well, back to Symbian, probably another learning curve at my tender years !.

Max.

Guest sporkguy

V3x is symbian? I wouldn't have thought so.

I dont know if you'll like the V3x too much, I didnt mind it when I had to use it at work to demo and sell to customers, but I have a couple of friends with them and they deteste the thing.

best of luck.

Guest awarner (MVP)
The Mpx200 uses Windows Mobile 2003 as far as I'm aware.

The MPX200 is 2002 not 2003. It is only with ilegal ROMs can you use 2003 and WM5 on the MPX200.

There has never been a single official update released for the MPX200 as a public download.

Guest sporkguy
The MPX200 is 2002 not 2003. It is only with ilegal ROMs can you use 2003 and WM5 on the MPX200.

There has never been a single official update released for the MPX200 as a public download.

Same difference.

Guest m1.carson

Hi Sporkguy,

Typical salesman, on one post you say, I used one for three days at work and its a nice phone " well done guys" [to Motorola], I order one, and you say I don't think you'll like it, my friends detest it.

Anyway, back to O/S's, my limited understanding was, all the O/S on mobiles were Symbian based until Windows came along, and then manufacturers started "improving" the system to "customers" requests.

Max.

Guest Swampie
Hi Sporkguy,

Typical salesman, on one post you say, I used one for three days at work and its a nice phone " well done guys" [to Motorola], I order one, and you say I don't think you'll like it, my friends detest it.

Anyway, back to O/S's, my limited understanding was, all the O/S on mobiles were Symbian based until Windows came along, and then manufacturers started "improving" the system to "customers" requests.

Max.

No - wrong on the OS front.

Historically each manufacturer had their own OS which they used on their devices. Take Nokia for example, they used a common OS for all their handsets. Then Symbian came out - which wasn't tied to a manufacturer - some manufacturers took it up. Nokia was one of them - their series 40 phones are still their basic Nokia OS, but the Series 60 phones are Symbian.

Symbian is probably around the same age as Windows Mobile (give or take a year or so) - but possibly more prevalent due to Nokia taking it up. AFAIK, if you take all the phones on sale today, I don't think you'll find that the majority are Symbian or Windows Mobile, but a mix of manufacturer's own OS. Of the single most popular OS (but not necessarily the most common overall), I'd expect it to be either Symbian or Nokia OS.

Guest m1.carson

Thanks swampie,

I thought the origional Nokia O/S was based on Symbian, going back about ten years-ish on my antique 7110 and earlier phones that I can't remember the Nos of, I stand corrected.

Thanks Max.