Orange W810i with Sony Update Service

Guest gavinchappell

Guest gavinchappell

While I was downloading the latest PC Suite from Sony Ericsson's website earlier, I found a download for "Sony Ericsson Update Service" and thought to myself "Hey, great, are they letting users flash their own phones now, unlike my old T610?". However, before I try it and balls up my new phone, is there anyone a little more gung-ho on here who's already tried it? If so, is it a yay or a nay?

I'm not too fussed about debranding, I've not really noticed much intrusive Orange stuff yet, but being able to get the latest software fixes without the hassle of taking the phone to an authorised service centre would be a bonus!

Cheers!

Guest sporkguy

I used the K700i version of SEUS on my Orange-branded handset back in 2004 - and it works a treat!

Thing is though, it won't debrand your phone at all - it'll just put the latest version of the orange-customised firmware on your phone.

It'll warn you if your phone is upto date/there's no new firmware available for your Orange version.

Best of Luck! :)

Guest gavinchappell
I used the K700i version of SEUS on my Orange-branded handset back in 2004 - and it works a treat!

Thing is though, it won't debrand your phone at all - it'll just put the latest version of the orange-customised firmware on your phone.

It'll warn you if your phone is upto date/there's no new firmware available for your Orange version.

Best of Luck! :)

Cool, I don't really mind branding as long as it doesn't affect performance (which it doesn't seem to). On my SPV C500, I noticed quite a bit of difference when I switched to a non-Orange firmware, but the W810i is pretty good anyway.

In some ways, I'd prefer it if it didn't unbrand it, in case of any problems I can still send it back to Orange and it's not so obvious that I've been flashing it :D

Guest confucious

I know in the days of the T68 my friend was working at Ericsson and he said the update service worked fine (they got secretaries to do it) but they didn't have the resources to support the update program on all the different types of PCs and OS's it would be used on so they said it was dealer upgradable only.

Guest gavinchappell
I know in the days of the T68 my friend was working at Ericsson and he said the update service worked fine (they got secretaries to do it) but they didn't have the resources to support the update program on all the different types of PCs and OS's it would be used on so they said it was dealer upgradable only.
Looks like they've opened it to the public, it's a free download from the SE website now. Looks like it's been written in Flash (or at least the user interface side of it) so I don't think different PCs and OSs comes into it so much (especially not given the similarity of 2000 and XP, which I guess most folks are probably running).

I'll probably give it a go tonight once I've charged the phone and hope for the best :)

Guest gavinchappell
Looks like they've opened it to the public, it's a free download from the SE website now. Looks like it's been written in Flash (or at least the user interface side of it) so I don't think different PCs and OSs comes into it so much (especially not given the similarity of 2000 and XP, which I guess most folks are probably running).

I'll probably give it a go tonight once I've charged the phone and hope for the best :)

Just to update, it worked a treat! I didn't charge the battery up fully, as I'm impatient, but it was about half charged. I simply followed the instructions in the SEUS software and booted up into an upgraded R4DB005 W810i. I don't know what the original software version was as I forgot to check, but the software paused for a while while it was updating so it definitely did something! From Expansys, I think it could have been something like R4CE012 or something like that.

• 10 months later...
Guest jakeo

i have a orange branded w810i and my phone is broke, its been turning itself off for a couple of months and i just left it but the other night it turned itself off and when i tried 2 turn it back on it just flashed white and i got told by a repair fella it was a software problem. so i tried to update the firmware and all was well until it got to 95% i followed the instructions but it just wont go past 95% and after a while it says error: update failed.

help?