Orange deal?

Guest ricardo the fish

Guest ricardo the fish

Just recived a text from Orange Deal.

The text says

"please call regarding an additional handset.

08702 259 259. 1st come 1st served. call now!

Is this legit? anyone else had these messages?

Or have I just been spammed via SMS?

Guest pd.ryder

Definately spam.

I've had at least 2 calls from companies just this week hinting they are Orange insisting I'm due a free upgrade - not until January I say - well you could have this one anyway they say - sod off I say!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest spacerace
Definately spam.

I've had at least 2 calls from companies just this week hinting they are Orange insisting I'm due a free upgrade - not until January I say - well you could have this one anyway they say - sod off I say!!

this bugs the heck out of me. I know full well I have no upgrade entitlement and I tell them. they then change their tack and say it's just a 'very good deal' and expect me to take out _another_ mobile contract to get it....

Guest dr who
this bugs the heck out of me. I know full well I have no upgrade entitlement and I tell them. they then change their tack and say it's just a 'very good deal' and expect me to take out _another_ mobile contract to get it....

Blame Orange, apparently they are perfectly happy for third party vendors to sell their products in this underhand way. I have heard of someone who thought they were upgrading with Orange direct, only to find out they had just signed up to a new 18 month contract arranged by one of these third parties

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Monolithix (MVP)

Orange are certainly not happy with this method of selling, to the extent of which they revised their distance selling rules (all distance sells now have to identify themselves as an independent company, for example) and warned companies not following as such would have their connector codes revoked, making it impossible for them to connect handsets. 3 cancelled the accounts of several dodgy distance sellers and TMobile even went as far as banning all distance selling!

If i were you i'd see if it were possible to report dodgy companies to Orange...

Guest dr who
Orange are certainly not happy with this method of selling,

......but I thought they sold the customer lists to these companies in the first place? Or is it just done on ringing every Orange number under the sun until some fool (me, normally) answers.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Monolithix (MVP)

No idea. I have my Orange account set to not allow them to publish my details (Orange Directory), but i still get the odd call.

TBH i think a lot of sales calls are from people passing their details on when signing up to any kind of offer. For eg, i'm pretty meticulous about disallowing contact for offers, and i certainly have not been in the market for a new credit card...ever, yet Capital One still have my name and uni address, and insist on a weekly mailshot, usually containing a "sample" credit card (wtf?).

So yeah, i think your details are sold on, but not by Orange. Not sure quite how Florin got called after 2 days i dont know though! Might have been a naughty CSR adding him to the directory...

Guest mrmond
No idea. I have my Orange account set to not allow them to publish my details (Orange Directory), but i still get the odd call.

TBH i think a lot of sales calls are from people passing their details on when signing up to any kind of offer. For eg, i'm pretty meticulous about disallowing contact for offers, and i certainly have not been in the market for a new credit card...ever, yet Capital One still have my name and uni address, and insist on a weekly mailshot, usually containing a "sample" credit card (wtf?).

So yeah, i think your details are sold on, but not by Orange. Not sure quite how Florin got called after 2 days i dont know though! Might have been a naughty CSR adding him to the directory...

Orange do not pass on details to 3rd party companies. Other companies get orange numbers as described above and random calls.

This is why they don't know the exact details of yor contract. Only that you have an orange number and possibly your name if details are added from another list.

All orange numbers follow a range depending on when you joined (as do other network misdn) and these people can work out when it's likely (or not) your up for renewal.

e.g. 6 years ago orange generaly started 0777 and lots of people who have been with them that long have that leading number.

Thing is, that number range was recycled a few months ago as people left to other networks or didn't renew contracts; let payg numbers terminate from non usage etc.

In effect new payg customers can now get rung up being told their contract is about to expire because of re-assigned numbers.

Do us a favor. Try to get the exact name of the company ringing you claiming to be orange and then report them to orange directly.

Its the only way to stop this kind of practice.