Cheapest/best pay as you go sim for NY

Guest Stuart_f

Guest Stuart_f

My wife and I are heading off to New York for a holiday over the thanksgiving period. I have an truly ancient network unlocked Nokia 7210 which has EGSM 900, GSM 1800, and GSM 1900 which I think makes it compatible with (most?) US networks.

What I am finding hard is getting hold of a really cheap sim card from a US carrier. All I want is a number I can use to give restaurants and such like for bookings. I won't be making many calls and if I do they will all be local. Can anyone suggest where I can get a cheap (or better yet, free) sim card?

Thank you!

Guest jchamier
GSM 1900 which I think makes it compatible with (most?) US networks.

You can't get "most" US networks, you can get the two main GSM networks with 1900 coverage, T-mobile US and Cingular. You should be ok in NYC with 1900. You cannot use Verizon or Sprint as these are CDMA networks, not GSM. Verizon seems to have better coverage than the GSM networks today, but Cingular are expanding very quickly nationwide.

What I am finding hard is getting hold of a really cheap sim card from a US carrier. All I want is a number I can use to give restaurants and such like for bookings. I won't be making many calls and if I do they will all be local. Can anyone suggest where I can get a cheap (or better yet, free) sim card?

The US GSM networks are not as advanced as Europe, and when last asking in 2003 there was nobody selling SIM cards alone. Note that USA prepay is similar to old-style in the UK where you had to pay "service charges" on a daily basis, or you were disconnected.

The only thing I've found via Google is -> http://www.cellularabroad.com/usppsc.html

If you risk it, let us know how you get on.

Guest Stuart_f
You can't get "most" US networks, you can get the two main GSM networks with 1900 coverage, T-mobile US and Cingular. You should be ok in NYC with 1900. You cannot use Verizon or Sprint as these are CDMA networks, not GSM. Verizon seems to have better coverage than the GSM networks today, but Cingular are expanding very quickly nationwide.

The US GSM networks are not as advanced as Europe, and when last asking in 2003 there was nobody selling SIM cards alone. Note that USA prepay is similar to old-style in the UK where you had to pay "service charges" on a daily basis, or you were disconnected.

The only thing I've found via Google is -> http://www.cellularabroad.com/usppsc.html

If you risk it, let us know how you get on.

Thanks for that!

I had begun to get the feeling it wasn't going to be as easy as walking into a shop and walking out with my brand new $5 sim :)

I've seen a few sim cards on ebay for Cingular for around ?15. I may take the risk and give one of those a go. Either way if I do try it I'll let you know how it goes.

Stu