Geocaching: Bringing Smartphone/PocketPC Users Outdoors!

Guest nickcornaglia

Guest nickcornaglia

[teaser]

gclogo.GIF
Reading this article? Then odds are, you're a geek! Don't be ashamed, it's okay. We're all friends here! :) And if you are a geek, I could also guess that, if you are like me, you spend waaaaay too much time in front of the computer and your gadgets, and you don't get outdoors nearly as often as you should! Well I am determined to change that about myself, and I hope I can convince you to do the same.

Now when I go outdoors, I need to bring my gear along. My Smartphone and GPS keep me in touch with the digital world, and show me how to get to where I'm going and often times, what to do when I'm there. My eyes are glued to some sort of LCD screen most of the day. But one day my batteries died and I looked up and saw people...and trees...and animals. You know, life!

What am I getting at? There is a world of things to do out there. Travelling. Exercising. Interfacing with others. And you don't even need to leave your gadgets behind. You just need to find a way to incorporate them into the real world to have the best of BOTH worlds. I think I have found a perfect avenue to do just that.

Nature + My Smartphone + My GPS = Geocaching. Read on....[/teaser]

What is Geocaching?

Geocaching is a worldwide, on-going adventure game where individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world, post GPS coordinates and other hints leading you to the location where you then try to find the cache. Click here for a more detailed explanation: Geocaching.com

What is the cache?

Usually a weatherproof box/container hidden in the woods or other public areas, containing small "treasures" and trinkets. You take a trinket and you leave another for someone else to find. The cache also usually contains a log that you sign to say you were there.

cache.jpg

Currently, there are 337,417 geocaching.com caches hidden worldwide.

14,632 in the UK

26,021 in Germany

I can't figure out how to get a total USA count short of counting each state's numbers but...

2695 in my state of New Jersey alone

7191 in my neighboring state of Pennsylvania

Sounds too easy! You're thinking.."I have the GPS coordinates of the cache...They will take me right to it. Whats so fun about that?" Not so simple at all. GPS coordinates could be off by 1 to 10 meters at times. Especially in heavily wooded areas. Plus once you are at the coordinates, many of the caches are cleverly & deceptively hidden. The cache could be as big as an ammo box or as small as a film canister, camoflaged to fit into it's surroundings. The fun isn't what's there...it's getting there and figuring out the puzzle of finding the cache. (The "treasure" makes my 7-year old son happy though!)

I want to meet you half way on this but....How does this tie into my digital world?

Let's start answering that question with the internet. Geocaching.com is the largest geocaching website around. Well over 300,000 caches, and counting, are listed to date, all over the world. Visit the website, enter in your postal code or Latitude and Longitude and a listing of local caches will pop-up before your eyes. Many closer than you would have ever known. Register on the site and you will be granted access to more information about the caches, including maps, as well as the ability to interact with the hundred of thousands of geocachers around the world. On the site you can locate caches and their details, log your found caches (or unfound caches), and have changes to caches in your area emailed to you automatically. Paid subscribers get a host of other tools as well. Once your're into it, you'll be seeking out caches and even hiding your own.

You don't REALLY need a GPS to geocache...but what fun is there in that for a child of the digital world? I have my toys, I want to use them! Paperless caching is the way to go. AND it's in sync with mother nature, saving trees!. I'll list one of my typical geocaching adventures to illustrate this better, but there are a million ways and means (and apps, and GPS devices, and other tools) to get to the same end.

Being a member of MoDaCo, and a Smartphone/PocketPC freakazoid...I'm using a Smartphone matched up with a Holux Bluetooth GPS receiver.

1) Log onto Geocaching.com and plan my Cache-Hunts for the day or weekend. You can go the paper route, and print out cache details...but that's soooo 2004. We're going paperless/digital here.

2) Download GPX files from Geocaching.com. GPX files are structured data files containing information of the caches chosen. The GPX files can then be imported into GPS devices to create waypoints, or in my case, imported into Mapopolis (http://www.mapopolis.com) on the Smartphone as a custom Maplet. (see step 3)

3) Download and install GPXtoMaplet. This program will import the GPX file created on Geocaching.com into a Mapopolis Maplet that can be overlayed over regional maps installed on your phone.

4) To better organize your GPX files, download and install EasyGPS on your PC. I combine/update my GPX files into one multiple cache GPX file to install on the phone.

5) Run GPXtoMaplet to create and install my newly created maplet overlay onto my phone.

6) Pack my back-pack with hiking necessities as well as "nick-nacks" that I'd be willing to trade if I find a cache. These include bags of marbles, coins, action-figures, trading cards, balls, wooden-nickles, compasses...anything. I've even seen flashdrives, small cameras, little radios. I keep a $10 Home-Depot gift card in my bag in the event I find something of better quality. (I really wish the quality of the treasures was a bit better). :D

7) Get into my car and drive to my hiking location navigating via Mapopolis. Mapopolis may not be the prettiest GPS application out there, and in a constant Smartphone Beta, but it works really well and has the ability to add Latitude/Longitude waypoints as well as travel off-road, which you can't do with some of the prettier apps.

8) Walk, hike, jog, run, ride your bike. Enjoy the great outdoors! Many caches are located in areas with something to see. Many times, areas you probably didn't even know were there...even in your own town/county. Some even include a lesson to be learned like information about a monument or historical area the cache is hidden near.

9) Goto wap.geocaching.com to refresh yourself on the cache details. A very simple text interface for mobile browsers. But it allows you to view cache details. Search for caches in an area. And even log your finds.

10) Look, Look, Look, walk around, look under a rock, in a dead tree log, in a crack in a wall...many times it takes a bit of detective work. You don't always find them....but that's the fun! A few I've searched for so far took me more than one try. And I'm sure many, many more in my future. But I'm looking forward to that.

11) Once I find the cache (I have 9 of 9 under my belt in the short time I've been doing this...others have thousands!) I possibly exchange doo-dads, sign the log, and re-hide the cache in the same spot.

12) Take a photo with my cameraphone of my accomplishment, the area, a funny item in the cache, the people I'm with near the cache....anything.

13) I can then log the find via my phone to wap.geocaching.com or just type a note into my phone to log when I am home.

14) Enjoy the area...

15) ...and/or move on to the next cache (goto steps 7 and 8).

There are a ton of tools for your PC or Smartphone/PocketPC that can help you along your adventure. I wish there were more. I wish there were better applications.

Some are listed at the end of this article along with links to help you on your way.

PLEA TO DEVELOPERS: Please create new, useful & innovative geocaching software! Integration with Geocaching.com is key. Or at least, the importing of GPX/Loc files generated from the website.

Technology doesn't mean you need to be tethered indoors. There's a beautiful world out there. Go out and enjoy it...and bring your mobile gadgets with you! (Friends and Family don't hurt either...just don't let them use your toys!) I hope you find this as addictive as my son and I have.

GEOCACHING SITES:

Geocaching.com:

PC

The grand daddy of geocaching sites. Anything you want to know about geocaching can be found here.

http://www.geocaching.com

Geocaching.com (WAP)

Smartphone/PocketPC

Stripped down way version. Great for getting cache info on the go.

http://wap.geocaching.com

SOME NAVIGATION/GEOCACHING SOFTWARE:

Mapopolis:

Smartphone & PocketPC

My current mapping software. As stated above. There are better looking apps, but this has all of the features I need.

http://www.mapopolis.com

mapopolis.gif

GPXtoMaplet:

PC

Convert GPX files (Cache Data) to Maplet overlays for Mapopolis.

http://www.kudzumonthly.com/mapopolis/GPXtoMAPLET.zip

GPSdash:

Smartphone/PocketPC

Cool GPS utility with the ability to navigate to waypoints. Mimics a handheld GPS well. Doesnt work on my Landscape Smartphone.

CLICK HERE

gpsdash2.gif

GPSTuner:

PocketPC

Another cool GPS Utility...sadly only for PocketPCs

http://www.gpstuner.com/

gpstuner.gif

Vito Technologies (Multiple PocketPC/Smartphone GPS Applications):

Smartphone/PocketPC

http://www.vitotechnologies.com

Multiple GPS/Navigation apps for both Platforms

vitonavigator.gif

GeoScout

PocketPC

A very cool app that with Geocaching.com integration. Hoping for further development and a Smartphone version.

http://www.navstation.co.uk/geoscout/

geoscout.gif

PathAway GPS 4:

PocketPC

GPS Navigation Software allowing you to import your own maps.

http://www.pathaway.com/PWWinMobile.htm

pathaway.gif

GPXsonar:

PocketPC

An older but free GPX viewer utility.

http://gpxsonar.homeip.net/cs/

gpxsonar.jpg

GeoCaching Hint Decoder:

PocketPC

On cache information pages, hints are normally given, but encrypted no to spoil it for those who want more of a challenge. The is a funny little app to decrypt those little messages.

CLICK HERE

geodecode.gif

CacheDragon:

PocketPC

GPS Tools with Geocaching Specific FUnctions like a GPX Viewer.

CLICK HERE

cachedragon.gif

Geocaching PodCasts/Videocasts

Podcacher.com

PC/Smartphone/PocketPC

An informative husband/wife geocaching team.

http://www.podcacher.com

Icenrye's Geocaching Webzine

PC/Smartphone/PocketPC

Cool videoCast filled with Geocaching information

http://www.icenrye.com

Do you geocache? Do you use any Special Software for you PocketPC or Smartphone? Did I miss any?

Let us know your thoughts and interest. Maybe we could get some MoDaCo geocaches located around the world with cool Smartphone swag inside! :P

Nice idea. I skimmed this thread, cos the idea sounds good.

Then I went to Geocaching.com and entered a postcode...... then I entered another...... then another!

It only seems to like US postcodes, no joy for us in the UK :-(

Guest Shuflie
Nice idea. I skimmed this thread, cos the idea sounds good.

Then I went to Geocaching.com and entered a postcode...... then I entered another...... then another!

It only seems to like US postcodes, no joy for us in the UK :-(

Strange, typed in my postcode (I'm in belfast) and found 200 entries within a 50 mile radius.

Guest nickcornaglia

I entered in: NR15 2BP

Got 355 finds.

I dont know much about UK Postal Codes, but apparently that space in between the first 4 and last three characters made a difference.

Sorry, now I look again, it's my mistake. I'd entered my postcode in the wrong bit (something called benchmark). Works when I enter it in the right place. :D :P :D :( :)

Guest splinter98

woo Geocaching, the one greatness of Smartphones.

I bought a GPS system for my c550 a few months ago for the soul purpose of geocaching. (twas a bargain at ony 88p (+ £30 p&p))

I use GPS Dash on my mobile to locate the caches.

To download the caches I goto geocacheuk.com -> a UK site approved by geocaching.com for UK geocachers

I go here as it allows me to download large quantities of cache (like 500 say) in one .loc file.

As GPX files are only available to premium members, i goto gpsvisualizer.com to convert loc to gpx

Gpsvisualizer.com also can create maps of the GPX you created, and also tells you the Longitude & Latitude of each of the corner, making it very easy to use the map in GPSDash (there is a program installed on the computer that can turn pictures into maps)

after loading the GPX file and the map folder on to my smartphone i am ready to cache.

geocaching is great fun, am i am very interested in programs for the smartphone crated for this very sport.

my current setup is very adequate but the main problem with the software is that it doesn't tell me where the next nearest cache is (which most dedicated systems do) and it would be nice to sort out my paperless cache set up. Also GPSDash's GPX support isn't that great (you can only edit lon/lat and name - but notes are supported when you arrive - it would be nice to edit that)

If anyone is interested in developing software for this sport i would be very much interested especially integration with geocaching.com because that is the heart of the sport.

I hope this helps anyone who is interested in the sport of what I do.

Splinter98

Links:

http://www.geocacheuk.com - A UK site that integrates with geocaching.com designed for UK Users.

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com - Good site for LOC 2 GPX & map creation

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert - link to LOC 2 GPX conversion

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map - link to Map creation. (I recommend setting the width to 1024 as it give a nice big map)

Edited by splinter98

Guest nickcornaglia

Wow! That's great additional information and exactly what I was hoping to see when I started this news thread.

If we could manage to find the best Smartphone/PPC apps (with geocaching.com integration) and possibly influence developers to create more feature rich apps (as well as introduce geocaching to more Smartphone/PPC users/developers)....then we have done our job! :)

Guest splinter98

Yes definitely, I also should thank you some of the apps you listed there I haven't come across myself (and have spent hours crawling across the internet looking for decent software for the smartphone)

This is one of those things that if I myself knew how to create I would (or knew the right person, then I would get them to do it). Unfortunatly myself knows the wrong languages to do it :)

splinter98

Guest nickcornaglia

There is someone who is currently in the "thinking about it" stage of possibly creating a Smartphone app that does what you asked above. :)

Guest splinter98

wow that is good,

If it integrated the manual system i wrote above (could use straight geocaching.com instead of geocacheuk.com) including a map creation then it would be a product that would rather amazing.

then again that is my setup, if people use a better setup (or can configure better maps easily) then that is also cool.

But being able to do paperless caching with only using one piece of software, that would be great.

splinter98

Guest NeilPepper

Hi

Great artical, I also skimmed it so not sure if you are interested but the next version of www.shozu.com will include auto Geo tagging feature for all photos taken on the phone with a GPS device attached/paired, it will add the tags like this photo uploaded to Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/83526454@N00/286729845/. This was taken with a Mio A701 which has a built in GPS receiver but it works with paired devices too. So you could take a photo of all the Geocaches you find and upload them to your favorite destination i.e. Flickr

Cheers

Neil

Edited by NeilPepper

Guest deBruineBeren

Large GPX file can get very slow on PPC and Smartphone, there for it is better to make your one or even better us html files.

To create these most geocachers use GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) This is a PC database program.

This will give you the option to export to a lot of file formats.

One of them is html, this will work must better (quicker) on PPC and Smartphone.

All so not all geocaches are as simple as just walking to the given coordinate.

There is a a great excel sheet made by a begium geocacher geotools4.xls this will work on a PPC as well.

If you have internet access you can also use geo tools online (Dutch)

And don’t forget Co-Input the program for PPC and SmartPhone I wrote my self.

Co-Input works with TomTom Navigator and TomTom Mobile so you will be able to route to a coordinate and much more.

Edited by deBruineBeren

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

I did a bit of Geocaching over the summer. Nice way of seeing some of Englands green and plesant lands :)

I used my Wizard and a BT GPS with Mapopolis, it does most of what the aps above do, supports waypoints by Lat/Lon and has a compass function. Works fine except for thick tree canopies confusing my GPS receiver!

Guest splinter98
I did a bit of Geocaching over the summer. Nice way of seeing some of Englands green and plesant lands :)

I used my Wizard and a BT GPS with Mapopolis, it does most of what the aps above do, supports waypoints by Lat/Lon and has a compass function. Works fine except for thick tree canopies confusing my GPS receiver!

Yes I know what you mean, especially when it comes to showing off your system to others, and it doesn't work or gives you odd results. (he blames the gps system I bought was too cheap, but it really does work fine)

Then again this person now geocachines (when not with me) using google maps, and really takes the fun out of the sport. Half the fun is when the system plays up so you have to guess, it adds more mystery.

Splinter98

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.