Timed GPRS toggling

Guest richardgaywood

Guest richardgaywood

Seeing as how Orange have offered me £5 per month for unlimited 3G data, but only off peak. I'd quite like to ensure my SVP M3100 can't go wandering off dialling up peak time. So, I'd like to cripple the GPRS and turn it on again at set times. I can do this manually by settings | network | connections | advanced | set networks | "my duff ISP", where that doesn't connect to something, but that's more than 10 clicks to turn it on and off!

I've seen an app that disables and enables this with one click, but I can't find it now. Ideally, what I want is something that runs on a timer, to always enable 3G when I can use it for free and force me to manually turn it on in the day if I really need it for something. Does anyone know of an app like that?

Guest richardgaywood
This is the link for the Nodata app..its actually on Pauls recommended FREE Software listing

D'oh!

All you need now is the time based command scheduler!

Anyone know if one exists for the Pocket PC WM5?

Yeah, coming from the Unix world, I'd kill to have cron (or Scheduled Tasks to you Windows types) on my PDA. I could poke pRSSReader into updating overnight then, too, and various other nifty things. I'm kinda annoyed there doesn't seem to be any OS wide scheduling support built into WM5.

• 10 months later...
Guest davidsmonkeyroost
Seeing as how Orange have offered me £5 per month for unlimited 3G data, but only off peak. I'd quite like to ensure my SVP M3100 can't go wandering off dialling up peak time. So, I'd like to cripple the GPRS and turn it on again at set times. I can do this manually by settings | network | connections | advanced | set networks | "my duff ISP", where that doesn't connect to something, but that's more than 10 clicks to turn it on and off!

I've seen an app that disables and enables this with one click, but I can't find it now. Ideally, what I want is something that runs on a timer, to always enable 3G when I can use it for free and force me to manually turn it on in the day if I really need it for something. Does anyone know of an app like that?

I'm in the same boat as Richard: I'm on Orange and until they get a decent 3G data package, i'm stuck with this off peak rubbish.

I'm using the very handy NoData, however a timer feature built into it would be great!

Does anyone else know of any developments with this? I can't find much anywhere....

Guest Neil5459

Have a look at Bandswitch which allows you to control GSM/3G connection standards and also has a page for enabling/disabling the various data connections, which can be saved as a simple schedule.

Up to V2 was free, but the new V2.4 version apparently costs $14, though the download is still available from the web page- I'm not sure if it is a timed trial or donationware- I've not seen any nag screens yet!