I am, looking for the same.

I have created a thread at:

http://www.expansys.com/f.aspx?i=139937

ok after checking into this

here is the info i can share with all regarding roms and application lock issue

there are 2 deefrent hardware version in the market for the same i-mate spl

g3 which is rom 1.04

g4 which is rom 1.05

who ever has the g3 version cant run any 3rd party aplliction on the unit and none of the regular hts unlocking soltion with work

who ever is runing the g4 version can run any 3rd party on his device.

as promised a rom update will be out in the next 7-14 days on i-mate ftp

please fallow it up and please post here if you have news on this pelase !!!!!

thanks

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jbourdon
SurrealNetworksAppUnlock has worked for me

tried it following your advice. didn't install because not enough permissions.

you must have the different ROM

Guest TheNathan

I have an iMate SPL with an application lock in place. The usual method used by many people to application unlock their phone by altering the registry using regeditstg doesn't work with the SPL. I think (but I'm pretty sure) that this is because regeditstg is signed by HTC allowing it to run with privliged access on HTC phones, but the SPL isn't a HTC, so if anybody can find a registry editing program that is signed by thawte or Entrust.net or one of the big guys like that, I would love to know about it, thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mstephenson

So, according to the main page it looks like we're going to be getting an upgrade to Windows Mobile 6.0! Have to say, if true, this is great news, and pretty unexpected-I presumed they'd try and screw us into buying a whole new phone (which I wouldn't of done anyway, seems the extra features in 6.0 don't really warrant buying a whole new device!). I'll certainly upgrade if it's free though, and I wouldn't mind paying a small charge. So, hats off to imate for providing 6.0 to us SPL owners-I was going to be very annoyed if i'd spent £250 on a phone on;y to find out it was technically out of date 3 months later! Anyone know any news about when the 6.0 download will be available? Just checked club imate and there's nothing on there yet!

So, according to the main page it looks like we're going to be getting an upgrade to Windows Mobile 6.0! Have to say, if true, this is great news, and pretty unexpected-I presumed they'd try and screw us into buying a whole new phone (which I wouldn't of done anyway, seems the extra features in 6.0 don't really warrant buying a whole new device!). I'll certainly upgrade if it's free though, and I wouldn't mind paying a small charge. So, hats off to imate for providing 6.0 to us SPL owners-I was going to be very annoyed if i'd spent £250 on a phone on;y to find out it was technically out of date 3 months later! Anyone know any news about when the 6.0 download will be available? Just checked club imate and there's nothing on there yet!

I cant find anything referring to this...can you post a link?

Guest jbourdon
I cant find anything referring to this...can you post a link?

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/02/12/i...lor-wm6-to-spl/

shots of the phones bearing Windows Mobile 6 Standard, and while no announcement is being made at 3GSM regarding available of the re-upped OS on this particular device, we reckon it's a good sign for the future.

but, will it be in any way slower???

Guest jbourdon
Or you couild have linked to the story ->

http://www.modaco.com/i-mate-expand-SPL-ra...33-t251974.html

The WM6 hacked ROM for the Universal has been reported as being much faster than WM5 ROMs

sorry. saw the news on the front page, but couldn't find WM6 as well on it.

I really hope a little bit of speed can be gaine. This phone's nice, but a bit slow.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest smurfanders

Good news people, it seems like we are going to get WM6 for the SPL soon ;)

this is the reply I got from i-mate support:

----------------------------------------

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Clubimate European Technical Support.

With regards to your query, yes, there is going to be a ROM upgrade for your I-mate SPL but we are working on it and in the near future the ROM version with WM6 is going to be on our website available for all customers.

Best regards,

Adrian Mihai Mirt

-----------------------------------------

So, now I'm on the support pages every day to check if they have posted the ROM update :D

/A\nders

• 2 weeks later...
Guest marekaq
ok after checking into this

here is the info i can share with all regarding roms and application lock issue

there are 2 deefrent hardware version in the market for the same i-mate spl

g3 which is rom 1.04

g4 which is rom 1.05

who ever has the g3 version cant run any 3rd party aplliction on the unit and none of the regular hts unlocking soltion with work

who ever is runing the g4 version can run any 3rd party on his device.

as promised a rom update will be out in the next 7-14 days on i-mate ftp

please fallow it up and please post here if you have news on this pelase !!!!!

thanks

Only 2 versions?

My version is 1.09. I don't know what kind of G it is g3 g4 ... But I think it is unlocked version. I can install all applications.

Maybe it is a newer unlocked version.

P.S.

What you can't install... maybe I can try to install it to ma SPL, so I can see if my SPL is locked or not

Edited by marekaq

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest slimgym

I can't app unlock my sim-free SPL - it was on firmware 1.04 which (from the above) suggests G3 which can't be unlocked. I found an imate ROM update to 1.08 which failed to flash initially (no reason for this) and I thought I'd bricked the phone. It did power up and thought it was still on 1.04 but now any further attempts to re-flash it say it's already running a current or later version of firmware :)

Still can't app-unlock it. I contacted i-mate but their only suggestion is to send it to one of the two UK service centres for resolution. If there were just a switch you could give the firmware upgrade to force updating regardless of version that might just cure it (anyone know if there is such a command switch?).

Till then, can't install half the stuff I want to :P

BTW in their email they said WM6 is at least 6 months away but is being worked on.

Edit: See this thread to update the phone using files on the MiniSD card which worked for me.

Edited by slimgym

• 2 weeks later...
Guest slimgym

I tried that as it was successful for the SPV and SP5m but the HTC signed reg editor wouldn't edit those bits of the registry nor could I use the remote registry editor over activesync on this phone until I'd updated the firmware to 1.08. You can see the firmware version in Start>Settings>About. The published firmware 1.08 appears to update certain versions of the phone to 1.08 and others to 1.09 I think reflecting the different hardware G3/G4 as mentioned above. A friend updated his using the same updater code and his is 1.09, mine is 1.08. The two seem identical otherwise.

So I guess versions matter.. If the information helps, my about section says I have ROM updates 5.1.342.15096. If I read it right the i-mate firmware is 2.03.