Are Screen Protectors Really Needed?

Guest windmiller

Guest windmiller

I have owned the Ipaq 3600, Ipaq 3700, XDA Wallaby and most recently a SMT 5600 and I never needed screen protectors. While the early Ipaqs did have a dust issue they were able to resolve it.

My question is, are screen protectors needed for todays Pocket PC Phone Editions?

I just bought a HTC Hermes and want to take good care of it and I hate dust under the screen 

I used the XDA Wallaby everyday for 2+ years and never had a scratch or dust get under the screen. I would carry it “naked” in my pocket and never had any issues so I never understood the need for them unless there was some problem with a specific model.

Any feedback would be great!

Guest richard_d

If you're careful and or lucky no. Personally for the few quid a Martin Shields cost me (and half hour applying it to get it pretty much invisible) was worth the peace of mind.

Guest shandar

All I can say is, invest in a pack of transparencies. I got 10 A4 sheets for two quid that will last forever. Invisible, fairly scratch proof and easy to switch out for a new one.

Guest BoxWave

Windmiller, If you take good care of your devices then there may not be any need to get a screen protector, but if you use a stylus its recommended to get one. A stylus could potentially scratch your screen. If you end up getting one, check ours out here. The anti-glare one is textured to help with writing.

Guest alex0078

I would suggest to go for Brando Ultra Clear Screen Protector from Brando http://shop.brando.com.hk/ - I used them for a few years and this is really the BEST! Good protection and absolutely invisible, no bubbles, you can even take it off and wash and then take on again.

Cost - just a few pennies above 5 quid (USD10) and there is free delivery (from HK) until Dec 20!

I do really appreciate these guys for the quality of screen protectors they have!

Guest Christopher Woods
In my case yes they are. I never use a case and just keep my Hermes in a pocket. :)

Ditto me - I've had my phone since the 23rd of September, and the screen protector is well and truly scratched to hell. When you're like me, you stuff the phone in your pocket and go walkies (in my case, up to 5 miles a day... and this is around Birmingham city centre!) You'd be surprised what even soft things you have in your pocket can do to the screen surface. I made the mistake of not immediately buying a screen protector for my old Alpine and after a few months had some really annoying pock marks on the actual screen layer which I couldn't get rid of - and as they were the same size as the dot pitch, it was really annoying.

There's no real reason why you shouldn't get a screen protector, even if you use a case - it's an extra layer of security, peace of mind, plus it helps keep the integrity of your phone's delicate touch sensitive layers, helps to mitigate focused pressure when foreign objects come into contact with the screen, plus you don't have to be delicate as a fairy when using a stylus / biro / pencil, you can have at it in the knowledge that when you rip that protector off, your screen is just like the day you bought it - scratch-free.

Helps the resale value no end should you ever want to flog it, too.