Getting started - Am I on right track?

Guest rasncain

Guest rasncain

So I have this idea for a what seems to be a basic app for my WM5 smartphone. Doesn't seem to exist yet so I am going to use it for my inspiration to learn to develop.

Here is my original post on the idea:

http://www.modaco.com/Please-make-and-sell...3--t250244.html

So, to get started I believe I should begin with getting my hands on the following:

Visual Studio 2005 C# Express Edition and the WM5 SDK

Does that sound about right so far? I ask because there are numerous express editions and not sure of the best one to choose to get started with.

Going to have lots of questions I am sure, so I apologize in advance if I bother anyone here. :-)

• 5 weeks later...
Guest osiris8

If what you're developing can be done in C# your setup is exactly what you need. :-). Personally I don't know if you can hook into the SMS receive event as suggested in the other thread using .NET (hoping so though, it would be cool :-) ).

Add two projects to your solution, one smart device project (for smarthphone) and one deployment project that is used to build the installation cab.

Hi i might be able to help you. The problem is i dont use my phone to receive emails. I'd like to know the format of "FROM:" in your phone's email when you recaive one.

is it the same as in sms account like this:

"[email protected]"

i need this info because im also a newbie and would like to get the exact email address part and compare it to your contacts list.

ive made an application that has an individual sms tone for each contact in my list for my WM5 smartphone and your idea seems to be the same.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Allan Olesen
So, to get started I believe I should begin with getting my hands on the following:

Visual Studio 2005 C# Express Edition and the WM5 SDK

Smart Device development is not possible with the Express Edition. So you will need a real VS2005.

Or you can learn C++ and use some of the free MS tools available for that language. I haven't dared doing that myself so I create all the classes with VS2005EE and borrow a computer with a real VS2005 from time to time to do the GUI stuff and build the classes for the SmartPhone.

• 1 month later...

search on google for mobile 5 secretary - this gives you c# code on how to hook into the smsreceive notification. Also, search on msdn for "what's new in mobile 5.0"

That's of course if you're targeting mobile 5!

Edit: Of course, the link refers to emails... damn... Forget that, look up PocketOutlook.MessageInterception

Edited by ddmf