Cleanup Contacts?

Guest Jason Coleman

Guest Jason Coleman

So I transferred my contacts over from my old phone when I got my Dash and also sync'd it to my Exchange server. Now I've got a lot of duplicate entries or things with truncated names. I'd like to clean this up, but doing it through the Dash's built in contact manager seems to be a bit of a pain. has someone seen something better to do this with? Or should I just whack the whole list and re-sync only to my Exchange server maybe?

I'm thinking along the lines of like when I had a Motorola phone, the Motorola tools had a nice tool taht you could use on a desktop PC to manage the contacts in the phone. It was a much quicker way to clean the entries up.

Thanks!

So I transferred my contacts over from my old phone when I got my Dash and also sync'd it to my Exchange server. Now I've got a lot of duplicate entries or things with truncated names. I'd like to clean this up, but doing it through the Dash's built in contact manager seems to be a bit of a pain. has someone seen something better to do this with? Or should I just whack the whole list and re-sync only to my Exchange server maybe?

I'm thinking along the lines of like when I had a Motorola phone, the Motorola tools had a nice tool taht you could use on a desktop PC to manage the contacts in the phone. It was a much quicker way to clean the entries up.

Thanks!

Do you not sync exchange with Outlook as well? I sync my exchange a/c with outlook when in the office (in cached mode) and with my Dash when away from the office. The result, any updates you make to contacts in Outlook will be updated on your phone (alot easier than editing them on your phone).

Do you not have access to your exchange a/c through outlook?

gr

Edited by Guest

Guest Jason Coleman
Do you not sync exchange with Outlook as well? I sync my exchange a/c with outlook when in the office (in cached mode) and with my Dash when away from the office. The result, any updates you make to contacts in Outlook will be updated on your phone (alot easier than editing them on your phone).

Do you not have access to your exchange a/c through outlook?

gr

I sync Outlook as well, but what's ended up happening is that my original phone was not sync'd with outlook, but the contacts were still transferred over. Because the names or whatever didn't line up exactly I may have multiple entries from a single person, especially where contacts that were in my old phone had multiple numbers get transferred into the SIM as name/m name/h name/w for the mobile, home, and work number. And in a few cases the phone's version might be more up to date then my Outlook. So I'm trying to get this stull all collapsed down to one contact per person and updated with my Exchange contacts.

I don't know of any way you could do this automatically.

Personally I'd do it through Outlook, sort contacts by name, transfer desired details into one contact and delete the duplicate contacts.

Bit time consumeing if you have alot of contacts but could be quicker than searching for an automated way (que somone to suggest an automated way :)

sry couldn't be of much help

gr

Guest Jason Coleman
I don't know of any way you could do this automatically.

Personally I'd do it through Outlook, sort contacts by name, transfer desired details into one contact and delete the duplicate contacts.

Bit time consumeing if you have alot of contacts but could be quicker than searching for an automated way (que somone to suggest an automated way :)

sry couldn't be of much help

gr

I'm not looking for an automated way, just one that's less tedious then trying to do it through the contact manager on the Dash.