HTC S710 (Vox) Smartphone revealed!

Guest The Doctor

Guest The Doctor

[teaser]

post-1-1166043679_thumb.gif
What with the recent craze of QWERTY Smartphones from manufacturers such as HTC and Samsung to rival the Blackberry, HTC has also come up with this rather interesting device.

It's the HTC Vox and will be sold in the near future as the HTC S710. It's yet to be comfirmed whether other manufacturers such as Dopod or any carriers will be taking this phone up. As you've probably already noticed, this is the first Smartphone to sport a sliding QWERTY keyboard! It also boasts a fairly impressive spec including WiFi 802.11b/g and a 2.4" QVGA screen.

Full specs after the jump...

via: boygeniusreport.com[/teaser]

Specs:

• TI OMAP 850 @ 200MHz
  • ROM 128MB / RAM 64MB
  • 2.4" QVGA Screen
  • Quad band GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900MHz
  • WiFi 802.11b/g
  • MicroSD
  • 2MP Camera
  • "Semi-automatic" sliding QWERTY keyboard

Its got home and back keys (Smartphone like)

But no D-Pad and only softkeys like Pocket PC... huh :)

How poorly photoshopped is the OS onto the device !

Edited by w411y

Guest The Doctor
so... is this smartphone, or is it just a smartphone cut-out pasted on there? where's the d-pad?

Two very good questions and I only have an answer to one of them :)

It is a smartphone to the best of my knowledge (official HTC spec says WM5 for smartphone) The screen shot is from a HTC Breeze (notice the UMTS icon), you can tell because the spec's claim it isnt 3g.

I have no idea where the D-Pad has gone :D

@w4lly - PPC's do have D-Pads and not all PPC's have softkeys :D

Phil

Edited by The Doctor

Guest The Doctor
Still not sure about the spacebar :)

P

It's a bit, wierd isn't it? Imagine you would get used to it tho after a while, bit like the RollR on the P3300 (which personally i quite like along with the scroll wheel on the front :D)

Phil

Whats up with that useless QWERTY keyboard?

Yet again HTC comes up with a huge phone.

Please please get your a... together and make us a decent sized phone without that stupid and space-wasting qwerty keyboard.

I think I might have to opt for the Asus Graphite, even though the design looks boring.

I´m the only one that thinks HTC is way off?

/Jakob

Guest The Doctor
Whats up with that useless QWERTY keyboard?

Yet again HTC comes up with a huge phone.

Please please get your a... together and make us a decent sized phone without that stupid and space-wasting qwerty keyboard.

I think I might have to opt for the Asus Graphite, even though the design looks boring.

I´m the only one that thinks HTC is way off?

/Jakob

It's not THAT big, its smaller than the N70 and N91. I couldn't live without the QWERTY keyboard on my Vario II, sliding QWERTY on a smartphone will make a nice change from T9/multitap. Also the ability to view things in landscape will make viewing webpages alot easier

Phil

[EDIT: As for useless keypads, the N91's is HATEFUL :)]

Edited by The Doctor

still haven't made up my mind on this one, i guess it like the s620, hated it at first put now i want one!

my guess navigation is done by a 5way scroll wheel a la m600i style, anyone agree?

lets hope the specs are not final, just add the 220mhz omap 3g processor(one found on the nokias)and that would be perfect,why aren't htc using these chipsmore often?

to be honest the 400mhz processor found on samsung,m3100 etc are crappy for battery life!

still think the htc tornado is the best smartphone so far, still using mine and not budging!

damo

Edited by Damo86

Guest The Doctor
still haven't made up my mind on this one, i guess it like the s620, hated it at first put now i want one!

my guess navigation is done by a 5way scroll wheel a la m600i style, anyone agree?

lets hope the specs are not final, just add the 220mhz omap 3g processor(one found on the nokias)and that would be perfect,why aren't htc using these chipsmore often?

to be honest the 400mhz processor found on samsung,m3100 etc are crappy for battery life!

still think the htc tornado is the best smartphone so far, still using mine and not budging!

damo

The tornado is a very good smartphone, but, and it is a big but, if this thing ships with crossbow, then you will find that QWERTY keyboard very usefull for typing word documents :)

Phil

Guest Socrates

Am I the only one that can't helping thinking this phone is a hoax?

Is there some other source on this besides a web site I never heard of before?

A smartphone with a large screen, numeric keyboard up front and slide out qwerty is like almost too good to be true. It would be ther perfect combination of input methods, IMO. The thing is I'd also like it to have a scroll wheel.

Here are some questions: Isn't there already a Sierra Wireless "Vox" smartphone? Also isn't there already a Sony Ericson "s710"?

Edited by Socrates

Guest The Doctor
Here are some questions: Isn't there already a Sierra Wireless "Vox" smartphone? Also isn't there already a Sony Ericson "s710"?

There also is a motorola C550 but you can't really copyright numbers like intel tried to do with a processor a number of years back.

A number of other websites also have information on this smartphone, just google it :)

Phil

Am I the only one that can't helping thinking this phone is a hoax?

Is there some other source on this besides a web site I never heard of before?

A smartphone with a large screen, numeric keyboard up front and slide out qwerty is like almost too good to be true. It would be ther perfect combination of input methods, IMO. The thing is I'd also like it to have a scroll wheel.

Boygeniusreports is actually one of the most reliable sources of smartphone information on the internet. The site often has full specs on phones or even actual phones months before anyone else.

I doubt its a hoax, but its odd that there is no dpad

Guest mikeeey

if it already looks like a pocket pc and the screen has the size of a pocket pc then id want it to be a pocket pc, not a smartphone. u guys know wat i mean? i mean id rather have everything be compatible with it if it were pocket pc software. i dont think many smartphone apps, games, and skins are gonna support this phone.

and like paul said, no joystick. how are u gonna use this phone? if the touchscreen (if there is one) would be used instead of a joystick...well... this is a smartphone remember... barely anything will respond to being touched because the programs were ment for smartphone devices and not designed for touchscreens.

Edited by mikeeey

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.