Guest rogueqd

Guest rogueqd

index.php?automodule=downloads&req=display&code=sst&id=2033

File Name: Snooze (alarm)

File Submitter: rogueqd

File Submitted: 11 Dec 2006

File Updated: 11 Oct 2007

File Category: Tools - Productivity

Snooze has multiple recurring alarms that can play either .wav or .mp3 files. It can also change the phone profile or run an application of your choosing.

Snooze is designed for QVGA WM5 smartphones, it should work on any QVGA WM5 device although there is no touch screen support. It may work on WM2003, but I have not tested this.

I've tried to make the interface intuitive, so I won't write a whole bunch of instructions. Mp3 or wav files must be in the application directory, or \My Documents\ or \My Documents\My Music\. If you have Snooze installed to a storage card, they can also be in either of those two folders on the storage card.

Snooze requires .NET CF 2.0 to be installed on the phone. I've only tested this on my i-mate SP5, so comments about performance on other phones would be appreciated.

Unfortunately you must unlock your phone to dismiss or snooze an alarm. Code to override the lock state would be appreciated.

Snooze uses FMOD 3.75 to play mp3 files, fmodce.dll for WM5 & WM6 is included in the cab, for older WM versions you'll need to get the correct fmodce.dll from http://www.fmod.org

This is intended to be the final version of Snooze. In the past I have been very disappointed to find that Snooze crashed occasionally, sometimes requiring my phone to be restarted. I have finally fixed this in v1.3.1. If anyone has stopped using Snooze due to this problem, please download this latest version.

I am also considering porting Snooze to PPC to enable touch screen support. If I get a good response to this I will do it in the near future. Please comment in the forum topic.

Current version: 1.3.1

Changed in 1.3.1 include:

Major bug fix to prevent program lockups (everyone should use only this version)

Added option to display the time in 24h format

Minor memory optimizations

Changes in v1.3 include:

Vibrate option for Play Sound alarms

Treeview file browser

Fixed a bug that caused a non-Play Sound alarm to automatically dismiss any current Play Sound alarms

Better storage card code, the program will now find the storage card independantly of where it's installed

Bug fix where a sound would keep playing when you closed the Options window

Tweak to provide a better interface when changing the alarm action

Removed check for old alarms stored in registry

Changes in v1.2.1 include:

Added command line arguments to Execute Program alarms

Fixed display of Execute Program alarms in Set Alarm form

Changes in v1.2 include:

Program will close when an alarm is dismissed unless started manually by user.

Duplicate alarm names and times are allowed.

Sound alarms will queue up if activated while another alarm is already active. Profile changes and program exectution will execute at the set time regardless of other alarms.

In the Alarm screen the RH menu now has a range of snooze times. Default time is still activated by any keypad key.

Fixed display of disabled alarms.

Alarm info is now stored in a file in the program directory instead of the registry. (Alarms from previous version will be imported automatically on first run.)

Click here to download this file

Hi. Thanks for sharing this app. Would it be possible for you to add an option to show a message box and play a sound file? I have always used this kind of alarm (using mortscript) but your application is way better :)

Guest rogueqd

I'm not sure what you mean, when an alarm is activated it plays the sound you selected and shows the name of the alarm on the screen (which you can use as a message). At what point did you want a message box displayed?

if fmodce.dll is installed in the program directory and the directory is in the storage card then it will not work.

I have to moove the dll file to the windows directory but then the MP3 in My Documents folder in the storage card doesnt appear...

Guest rogueqd
if fmodce.dll is installed in the program directory and the directory is in the storage card then it will not work.

I have to moove the dll file to the windows directory but then the MP3 in My Documents folder in the storage card doesnt appear...

Hi mooman,

Thanks for your feedback, the cab file was not configured correctly and would have installed the executable to the phone but the dll to the storage card, hence your problem. I have uploaded a fixed cab file, but all you need to do is move snooze.exe to \Storage Card\Program Files\Snooze\ and create a new start menu shortcut.

Let me know if this fixes your problem.

Edited by rogueqd

I'm not sure what you mean, when an alarm is activated it plays the sound you selected and shows the name of the alarm on the screen (which you can use as a message). At what point did you want a message box displayed?

oh sorry i didnt pay attention to the title part. This application works perfectly. Thanks

Guest rogueqd
how do you execute a program? when i choose "execute program", i cant enter a file path and there is nothing to choose from.
Hi oldSAP,

Thanks for noticing. :) I realised after I'd uploaded the cab that I never did the browse function, but since I'd been using it for a couple of months without noticing this I left it as is to see if anyone else noticed it. :D

I'm adding that functionality now, I'll upload a new version sometime this week.

Hi oldSAP,

Thanks for noticing. :) I realised after I'd uploaded the cab that I never did the browse function, but since I'd been using it for a couple of months without noticing this I left it as is to see if anyone else noticed it. :D

I'm adding that functionality now, I'll upload a new version sometime this week.

Will be eagerly awaiting for the release :D

Guest rogueqd

I couldn't help myself and stayed up last night adding some browse functionality. It's not quite what I'd like, more quick and dirty, but it does everything it needs to do. I'd like to write a proper OpenFileDialog, but that will take some time and will have to be added at a later stage.

I'm pretty happy with the whole program now. There may be another update required after the Execute Program functions have been tested more thoroughly, but hopefully this will stay as a stable version for a while.

thanks. the "browse" button is very helpful.

few suggestions:

1. it would be nice to have the 'browse" button also for searching mp3 or wav files

2. the execute program option should also be able to search and use scripts, and other file types.

Guest volkl23
thanks. the "browse" button is very helpful.

few suggestions:

1. it would be nice to have the 'browse" button also for searching mp3 or wav files

2. the execute program option should also be able to search and use scripts, and other file types.

Keep up the great work! This software will be in the realm of autolock once it matures :)

Guest rogueqd

Yeah, restricting the browse to .exe files was a bit narrow minded of me. I have changed it to all files, as you can "run" a .jpg file (for example) and the file association will pick the right program.

I also enabled a "play sound" alarm to use any wav or mp3, even if it's not in the Sounds combo box, so if you browse for an mp3 then change the action to Play Sound it will play the sound you chose even though the combo box appears blank. (you can verify this by adjusting the volume) Again, not a really pretty solution, but it's too close to christmas for pretty solutions. :)

Part of becoming a more mature application is not posting an update every day with the latest minor adjustment, so this will definately be the last update for 2006. There are a few more major changes I want to make, like adding threading, so in 2007 I'll start on a more major update.

Thanks for the encouragement. Please keep the comments coming. :D

Thank you very much for updating the application.

This is very very useful for me. i use it for reminders (lots of 'em) and to auto poweroff my device, and all of these in 1 app! :)

Guest volkl23

Thanks for the program! I just have a slight problem...

I installed the latest version of snooze on my storage card, but when I try to open it, I just get the turning circle (processing) and after 2 seconds, nothing happens.

I have A Dash (HTC S620) and CF 2.0 installed on my storage card.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Guest rogueqd
I installed the latest version of snooze on my storage card, but when I try to open it, I just get the turning circle (processing) and after 2 seconds, nothing happens.
That's a bit odd. Did earlier versions work?

If not you may be using CF 2.0 instead of 2.0 SP1. I didn't think it should matter, but it might. You can get SP1 from here. Try installing that and let me know if that fixes the problem.

Edited by rogueqd

Guest volkl23
That's a bit odd. Did earlier versions work?

If not you may be using CF 2.0 instead of 2.0 SP1. I didn't think it should matter, but it might. You can get SP1 from here. Try installing that and let me know if that fixes the problem.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I do have the SP1. It's odd. I was clicking the icon from the program/snooze directory and that did nothing. I think I just forgot to restart my phone, because right after installing, the program did not appear in the start menu. After the restart, the snooze icon appeared in the start menu and now everything works!

Great program! You are doing a great service to the Smartphone community. Keep it up! :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rogueqd

I've almost finished v1.2 and there are some major internal changes. Now you can have two alarms with the same name that are set to the same time without any problems. Alarms will queue if they are activated while another alarm is displaying, then show when the first alarm is actioned. There are other less noticable changes that generally make it more robust and user friendly.

I should be able to put 1.2 beta up here tomorrow, hopefully no bugs, so after a few days I can update the file in the downloads section. I've already got plans for v1.3, so 1.2 won't have quite all the features I originally intended as I want to get the more stable background code out there before I start working on the features.

the latest version works perfectly. no more set alarms that doesnt go off. The application launcher (where i used poweroff.exe) went off as scheduled.

Thanks also for the TIPS sir!

Guest rogueqd

Here's 1.2 beta. Just replace Snooze.exe with the one in the zip file. I'll upload it to the download section over the weekend unless anyone finds a bug to report.

Thanks for all your feedback oldSAP. Get this version, as it has some improvements from the one I sent you the other day.

Edit: File removed. Version 1.2 is in downloads page.

Edited by rogueqd

wow! i like the added options menu where we can set the snooze time, default volume and default sound.

Also the "Name:" part of a new alarm is automatically highlighted so we can enter our alarm name immediately without having to delete the default "Alarm 1" title.

Guest chrisjaffe

WOW! Thanks for this app. I really like it.

I would like to make two small requests for future development.

First is it possible to select a shortcut file (.lnk) as the target of the execute program function? The shortcuts show up in the brows folder and you can select them, but when you click done they are not saved. When you re-enter the alarm there is no program selected and if the alarm tries to fire you just get an error which hangs the program and prevents any subsequent programs from firing. Another alternative that would let me do the same thing would be to support arguments to an executable. I get the same problem when I try to enter the arguments.

Second is it possible to enable the automatic profile as one of the selections for the change profile option. I use this profile most often but I cannot set Snooze to automatically set this profile.

I hope that these are not too much to ask. I really like the app and these improvements would enable me to configure it just the way I want. Either way thanks again for the great app.

Chris

Edited by chrisjaffe

Guest chrisjaffe
Yeah, restricting the browse to .exe files was a bit narrow minded of me. I have changed it to all files, as you can "run" a .jpg file (for example) and the file association will pick the right program.

I just saw this... :) ...Not sure how I missed it the first time through. I guess that I am not doing something right since I cannot make this work with a .lnk shortcut file as I mentioned in my last post.

Any thoughts?

Chris

Guest rogueqd
I just saw this... :) ...Not sure how I missed it the first time through. I guess that I am not doing something right since I cannot make this work with a .lnk shortcut file as I mentioned in my last post.

Any thoughts?

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your feedback. I don't actually use the execute program ability myself, so it's the least tested part of my code, as you can tell. :D After reading your comments I did some testing myself and have fixed most of the problems.

When you browse for a program it will now add quotes around the full path. Anything after the quotes will be passed as arguments when the program is executed. Existing alarms without quotes will be unchanged.

eg "\Program Files\MyProgram.exe" /a /r /g

"/a /r /g" will be passed as the args.

I've also fixed the text in the program text box, the info was there but it was never displayed.

I haven't tested running shortcuts, but I use a function from core.dll to do the executing, so if they don't work it's likely that they never will.

I'll have a look at the Automatic profile later on.

Edited by rogueqd

Guest chrisjaffe
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your feedback. I don't actually use the execute program ability myself, so it's the least tested part of my code, as you can tell. :) After reading your comments I did some testing myself and have fixed most of the problems.

When you browse for a program it will now add quotes around the full path. Anything after the quotes will be passed as arguments when the program is executed. Existing alarms without quotes will be unchanged.

eg "\Program Files\MyProgram.exe" /a /r /g

"/a /r /g" will be passed as the args.

I've also fixed the text in the program text box, the info was there but it was never displayed.

I haven't tested running shortcuts, but I use a function from core.dll to do the executing, so if they don't work it's likely that they never will.

I'll have a look at the Automatic profile later on.

Now that is some fast service!!!

Edit: Just tried it and it works like a charm. Thanks!

Can't wait to see what the future holds...

Edited by chrisjaffe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.