Vario II on T-Mobile

Guest bingobob

Guest bingobob

Well, I'm out of contract with rubbish O2 and Carphone warehouse (not a good experience)....at the moment and investigating getting this phone on t-mobile with web and walk....

where is the best deal at the mo.

a few questions

1) do t-mobile actually block ports - i realise you are not meant to use the phone as a modem with the 7.50 quid a month web and walk add on - i'd like to SSH into a home machine and maybe VNC - if i setup port 80 for these apps will it get through - do Tmobile actuaylly look at the data ?

2) are peple delighted with the phone? is it a realistic solution for mobile browsing - any chance of a mini review/first impressions.

3) can i unlock the t-mobile contract model easily/safely?

4) what's the cheapest i can get it on a t-mobile contract - any tips - prefereably 12 months but i think i'll need to commit to 18 months by the looks?

I am on trains for two hours each day with my commute and i think this device will help me pass the time nicely :-)? Seems like the best solution for mobile browsing at the moment short of a laptop - i'm weighing this purchase up against a macbook ???

ta

bb

Guest bingobob

oh - i'm also interested to know if i can use MSN on the 7.50 quid per month web n walk add on?

That'd be nice but I thought but do they block it on this tarriff ?

Guest Prosody

I believe the limitation on the Web N Walk tarrif are just to do with their T&Cs as I use MSN,AIM and Yahoo Messengers on my Vario 2, I've streamed music across the net and used it as a tethered modem.

Not had it long and I do these things very in frequently but I'm prepared IF they do detect it and ring me to up my WNW to the next one but until it registers on their systems I'm not going to give them and help in squeezing more cash out of me. :)

Point is I don't believe there are any blocks as such... just if they detect it then they would have grounds (on account of the T&Cs to make you upgrade to the £12.50 WnW. :D

Guest bingobob

perfect - many thanks - this is ideal and what i suspected - SSH uses no real bandwidth really I imagine, so i should be OK.

I'm thinking of the deal on the web...

£139.99 Relax 25 + web'n'walk 150 mins / 100 txt £32.50 £25 500 FREE texts per month plus

FREE web'n'walk for the first 3 months Buy

Hopefully they will match this in my local t-mobile shop - although I have my doubts....

140 quid is a bit steep for the phone, but at least it'll be a 12 month contract.

So you're really please with yours then?

I'm totally new to Pocket PC - i imagine there is loads of freeware out there?

Web browsing on the move will be a real boon for me...from what i read this device is the best bet at the moment in the UK...my mate keeps telling me blackberry blackberry blackberry, but I don't like the look of them, they seem to be more proprietary/email based. I think this vario will be more flexible/customisable and it seems to support just about every network transport i require.

bb

please let me know if you think I'm missing another device/deal that's a better offer right now! ?

Guest richard_d
perfect - many thanks - this is ideal and what i suspected - SSH uses no real bandwidth really I imagine, so i should be OK.

I'm thinking of the deal on the web...

£139.99 Relax 25 + web'n'walk 150 mins / 100 txt £32.50 £25 500 FREE texts per month plus

FREE web'n'walk for the first 3 months Buy

Hopefully they will match this in my local t-mobile shop - although I have my doubts....

140 quid is a bit steep for the phone, but at least it'll be a 12 month contract.

So you're really please with yours then?

I'm totally new to Pocket PC - i imagine there is loads of freeware out there?

Web browsing on the move will be a real boon for me...from what i read this device is the best bet at the moment in the UK...my mate keeps telling me blackberry blackberry blackberry, but I don't like the look of them, they seem to be more proprietary/email based. I think this vario will be more flexible/customisable and it seems to support just about every network transport i require.

bb

please let me know if you think I'm missing another device/deal that's a better offer right now! ?

Plenty of freeware.

It's pretty good for mobile browsing - most sites work well with the supplied browser unless they're flash based or use frames heavily.

Guest bingobob

that's nice, i heard that the opera mini? web browser is maybe a better bet for browsing?

i'd like to use VNC over the internet to get access to a remote machine, but i suppose i may be pushing it a bit with that.

mobile MSN, ebay, banking, SSH and email will be a great plus anyway...

Guest paul.maddox

I've got a Vario II with Flext35 and the middle Web 'n' Walk for my work phone and regularly use it for streaming music, MSN and SSHing various servers around the world.

For SSH i'd recommend mToken, it's not free but it supports public/private key authentication, landscape viewing and has nice readable fonts.

vxUtils (free) is a good set of network-related tools including ping, whois, traceroute, port scan.

Now if only I could work out how to send an ESC key, then i'd be able to use VI!

Guest bingobob

wow...sounds great.. thanks...

Now I HAVE IT ! hehe...lovely...

Do i really need to charge it for 10 hours before use like the bloke in the shop said ?

That was in the days of NIMH batterys wasnt it ?

Guest shandar

I got a Vario II a week ago with Flext 30 + Web'n'Walk (7.50) and managed to get the phone for free :) If you add insurance (that you can cancel anytime) they pull £80 off of the handset price. WnW lowers the price by another £30.

When it comes to web'n'walk I'm moderately impressed, T-Mobile is pretty good at blocking things. The MSN Messenger client that comes with WM5 refuses to connect when on a WnW connection. Agile Messenger works though, but it only works for a week then you have to pay for it. Streaming music and using skype only works for a few minutes then the network disconnects me and won't let me on again for 30 mins. Everything works great over WLAN though.

And no, you don't have to charge it for 10h anymore. I plugged mine in and started to use it immediately. I gave it a two hour charge. The battery has been happy ever since.

Edited by shandar

Guest Stuart_f
I got a Vario II a week ago with Flext 30 + Web'n'Walk (7.50) and managed to get the phone for free :) If you add insurance (that you can cancel anytime) they pull £80 off of the handset price. WnW lowers the price by another £30.

When it comes to web'n'walk I'm moderately impressed, T-Mobile is pretty good at blocking things. The MSN Messenger client that comes with WM5 refuses to connect when on a WnW connection. Agile Messenger works though, but it only works for a week then you have to pay for it. Streaming music and using skype only works for a few minutes then the network disconnects me and won't let me on again for 30 mins. Everything works great over WLAN though.

And no, you don't have to charge it for 10h anymore. I plugged mine in and started to use it immediately. I gave it a two hour charge. The battery has been happy ever since.

Was that £80 discount for insurance on the web, over the phone or in a shop?

Guest Prosody

MSN messenger works fine on my device using the regular £7.50 WnW, Agile works for a week and then you have to pay because thats what agile does, it's not a free program. :)

I've streamed a bunch of podcasts over HSDPA for like hours at a time with no problems. It's not T-Mobiles doing... might just be you having network issues. :D

Guest shandar
Was that £80 discount for insurance on the web, over the phone or in a shop?

In a shop. They don't tell you that immediately, talk to them a bit and look like you might be considering leaving because it's too expensive and they'll tell you about the discount :)

MSN messenger works fine on my device using the regular £7.50 WnW, Agile works for a week and then you have to pay because thats what agile does, it's not a free program. :D

I've streamed a bunch of podcasts over HSDPA for like hours at a time with no problems. It's not T-Mobiles doing... might just be you having network issues. :D

RE MSN: Lol. My bad. Spelling mistake in my email address :D

Could you try to stream music from www.di.fm? Whenever I try it my phone refuses to connect to the WMA stream and only works for a few seconds on the mp3stream then it drops the connection. (This happens when I have full 3G coverage)

For SSH i'd recommend mToken, it's not free but it supports public/private key authentication, landscape viewing and has nice readable fonts.

I use PocketPuTTY which is free and works well enough for me (there's one bug which means that one dialog doesn't resize itself for landscape properly).

Same problem with not being able to hit the ESC key though.

Now I just need to see if I can get PocketVRVS working for my videoconferencing :-)

Oh, and I use the Web'N'Walk Plus £12.50 package and haven't run across any ports being blocked yet - don't know whether it's different on the cheaper package.

Edited by npch

Guest Prosody
In a shop. They don't tell you that immediately, talk to them a bit and look like you might be considering leaving because it's too expensive and they'll tell you about the discount :)

RE MSN: Lol. My bad. Spelling mistake in my email address :D

Could you try to stream music from www.di.fm? Whenever I try it my phone refuses to connect to the WMA stream and only works for a few seconds on the mp3stream then it drops the connection. (This happens when I have full 3G coverage)

Am listening to the 70s stream from that site now in WMA format (34kbps). The contents aside.. (ewwww 70s) it's streaming fine, at 2 minutes already and this is just over GPRS. :D

Your problems aside thanks for the link. :D

Ohh 3 minutes now and got a sky.fm commercial. :D

Hope you track down whats wrong. :)