Screen protector

Guest bingobob

Guest bingobob

I like my Vario naked to be honest - don't want to put anything between stylus and screen but I'm a little worried about damage - I got a screen protector in the box - is it worth applying it ?

also what's the best way to clean the screen and does it matter to much if i use my finger / finger nail to press things ?

ta

bb

Use it!

I have a friend with a Vario who has never used a screen protector in six months of ownership,

the screen looks like an ice rink, great way to mess up a £400 phone...

Guest Seraphic

Definately use one - I've got a martin fields one. Bit of a pain in the neck to install but once its installed properly you barely know its there and provides very good protection. Seeing as they don't cost much, you'd be silly not to use one.

Guest bingobob

it's the one in that came in the box, just some sticky back plastic...can i take it off later ?

I've used the thing already, can i clean the screen somehow before applying it?

Guest marisa4755

If you use the one provided (for the moment) you can always remove it later.

I use a Martin Field screen protector too, and can vouch for the fact that once it's on properly, you won't know it's there, but there are lots of other good ones too.

There are plenty of products out there for cleaning the screen first (which you would have to do, even if just taking it out of the box from new (dust etc)

I use individually packed moist towelettes to clean the screen.

Box wave make some good protectors too.

if you google 'best screen protectors pda', you can do some research.

But in the meantime, the one provided is better than nothing.

To remove, use some sticky tape wound round your finger, and this should remove the protector quite easily.

Good luck

Guest schriss

I never used anything like that on my screen, the device is HP IPAQ rx3715, it's over a year old and the screen looks like brand new - so I don't intend to use protectors on other devices as well.

P.S.

Maybe it's up to:

1. Build quality of the device, materials used etc.

2. The way you use/store your device.

Edited by schriss

Guest bingobob

I'm happy for now with knowing I've done all i can to protect my screen.

Two weeks into owning the vario it's very very amazing. I wanna look after it. Not perfect but it does everything i ask of it. T-Mobile 3G seems v capable as well (mostly).

• 3 months later...
Guest esame

It is definitely worth putting on a screen protector onto your precious gadgets. Had a bad experience myself where I have to change the whole screen on my PDA phone, after that I vow to stick a screen protector onto every gadget that I own whenever possible. If I cannot get one off from the shelf, I'll order a big piece of screen protector and cut it out myself.

Guest Christopher Woods

I learnt my lesson the hard way, after I managed to scratch the screen on my Alpine - tiny little scratches just bigger than the dot pitch of the LCD, so they were always visible - I bought a screen protector for that, and I applied the screen protector to my Vario 2 as soon as it was out of the box. Still managed to get some dust underneath it though :D

I've been scoping out a few makes - checked out Martin Fields but they're VERY expensive (£8.99 EXCLUDING VAT plus £3 postage from Singapore!) or you can get a ShieldZone protector (which have also received some favourable reviews) for less thanks to the exchange rate - $9.95 plus postage, so that'd probably work out a few bob cheaper than the Martin Fields one.

I'll probably end up buying both and comparing them when the next part of my loan comes through :( From just four months of having my screen protector on my Vario 2, and seeing just how scratched and badword up it is from being put in / taken out of my pocket during daily usage, I'm really glad I put it on. You can always replace your screen protector. :) Both companies manufacture protectors sized correctly for the Hermes too, which is a bonus - the T-Mobile supplied protector doesn't quite reach from edge to edge, which is a minor annoyance.

Here's something to consider when buying a protector, too... This is from the ShieldZone page:

The invisibleSHIELD comes with a lifetime guarantee, which means that if your invisibleSHIELD ever gets scratched up, we'll replace it. For FREE. For LIFE. Now that's protection! Pay once, protect forever.

Handy!

Links:

http://www.shieldzone.com/item_description/HTCTYTN.html

http://www.martinfields.co.uk/dis_product....DA%20Vario%20II

HTH ;)

Guest esame

Hey there!! I have recently come across a site call www.expertshield.com.sg, i think it's expert shield's sister website. It has a video showing how to properly put on a screen protector, I think this is particularly useful for someone who's putting on a screen protector for the first time. Hope this helps.

Cheers